1. Afterlife Forums is an online, interactive community designed to give seekers direct access to prominent researchers, to afterlife literature, and to one another in order to foster both spiritual growth and public interest in life after death.
    Dismiss Notice

Well Met

Discussion in 'Introductions & Helpful Information' started by LionL, Nov 11, 2017.

1. LionL

LionL New Member

Hello everyone,

I've been looking around here (lurking) and like what I've read so decided to join.

I've been interested in spirituality/religion for a long time and know a great deal about different beliefs. My favourite area is ancient mythologies (which I class most religions as). I think these contain 'truths' as well as fantasies. The similarities between the beliefs of far-spread cultures are too great for them to be mere coincidence.

Looking forward to reading your experiences and sharing my own.

Cheers.

2. mac

mac senior member Staff Member

I'm not sure you'll find here the conversations you're looking for. And the discussion/debate/comparison of religions is a no-no.

3. LionL

LionL New Member

Well, thanks for letting me know.

I suppose it's not for me then. As you are a staff member, you'd better delete my account.

Sorry for having bothered you.

4. mac

We don't delete accounts as a rule and I was only acquainting you with the situation as I understand it. Maybe there will be members interested in what you have to say about issues other than religion and beliefs.

5. bluebird

bluebird Well-Known Member

LionL,
    I actually am interested in discussing various religions and mythologies, though I think it would probably be best to post about those subjects in the "Off Topic" section.

mac, is it not allowed to discuss and compare religions if they are being discussed as history/mythology, rather than in an attempt to proselytize or convert?

6. mac

Roberta has chosen to make her website 'religion-free' because (I think) of the potential for heated arguments and falling out. Even in the 'Off Topics' forum there remains that potential but if she says it's OK you're good to go. My own view is that politics and religion are best not discussed amongst friends.

I expect Roberta will again explain her position shortly although LionL may already have left us.

7. RobertaGrimes

RobertaGrimes Administrator

What is not allowed here is proselytizing for any religion, both because it causes insoluble arguments and because all the religious beliefs about the afterlife that I have ever seen are erroneous so posting religious beliefs can confuse the people who come here for our help. Bluebird, if you would like to start a discussion of religions in the members-only OT section that will be fine - please call it something like "Discussing Religious Theories" or something, so people won't be confused by it?

8. mac

Thanks for clarifying the situation, Roberta - better at the start so everyone knows what's OK, including me.

9. jimrich

jimrich Active Member

Thank you for coming to the forum and welcome.
    I would be very interested in your experiences of any kind and am willing to share about my experiences in and with spirituality, religion, beliefs and just about anything else. Please offer us/me whatever you wish.
    Cheers, jim
    I am not "bothered" by you and am sorry to see you go. Perhaps you had some interesting things to offer us and it's a shame that you were rejected so quickly. OUCH!!!

Last edited: Nov 15, 2017
  10. mac

For accuracy, LionL wasn't "rejected" in any sense of that word and all other members could have 'spoken' with him at the time he was posting.

He mentioned (quote "I think these contain 'truths' as well as fantasies.") that the stuff he's studied contained 'truths' (sic) as well as fantasies and Roberta has said words to the effect that she's keen not to have stuff posted as (nominal) truths because new seekers may get confused by them.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2017