1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Afterlife Forums is an online, interactive community designed to give seekers direct access to prominent researchers, to afterlife literature, and to one another in order to foster both spiritual growth and public interest in life after death.

We Have a New Look!

Discussion in 'Member Introductions' started by RobertaGrimes, Dec 1, 2016.

1. RobertaGrimes

RobertaGrimes Administrator

After six years of reliable service, the old afterlifeforums.com was beginning to creak. It had a first page and features (like "What's New?") that nobody used, and it was being run on old vbulletin software and an inadequate hosting service. All of this came to head in November, when denial-of-service attacks prompted the hosting service to take us offline three times without warning. They damaged the website so much in the process that after the third outage they were unable to restore us. I then did what I likely should have done awhile ago: I found a good web developer who could build us a new and stronger afterlifeforums.com using up-to-date software and a more reliable hosting service.

I know this new look will take some adjustment! I'm shocked by it, too. We become so set in our ways. But my hope is that we all will soon become comfortable with this new look, and it will then be as if no change was made.

Thank you for your patience during this process, and if you have questions or suggestions please just PM me!

marmaladecat, dopier and Unexpected like this.
  2. mac

mac Staff Member

December 1 2016 It's good the new website has improved things for mobile users. As someone who neither uses nor owns a smart phone I didn't know the old website didn't work well on them. This one also works OK on my computer and may be able to be 'tweaked' to further improve what it can do.

3. dopier

dopier Active Member

Let me first thank you for your work and then congratulate you on the new updated forum's website. Although as you say this will take some getting used to for many, I think the additional interactive options will make it all the more appealing. I for one really love the like button because on so many occasions some posts had gotten lost because there wasn't such option to push them up...although I'm not sure if such is the case here. Still, all signs point to this being a great upgrade from the previous forum page. The service you render here is invaluable indeed.

4. mac

mac Staff Member

I agree with your sentiments.

Roberta's been under great pressure from undisclosed sources seemingly hell-bent on destroying her website. She's been put to a great deal of time, trouble, stress - and no doubt considerable expense - keeping this website alive. Though she and I have often 'had words' I've always stressed how fortunate we are that Roberta selflessly allows us to use this cyber space, totally free-of-charge, for discussion and debate, a place of safety as she's always tried to make it.

It's sad, though, that the resource it used to be has now been compromised, at least in the short term. The forum threads that might have provided material for seekers may now not be as complete as they used to be, the blogs gone as is the archive. We should all hope they can be recovered, even if we active members no longer have much need of them.

So, like dopier, I say 'thank you' Roberta for battling to bring 'AfterLifeForums' back to life. :)

5. ChuckAnderson

ChuckAnderson New Member

Hi Roberta!

Thanks for bringing back our Afterlife Forums!

Chuck

6. RobertaGrimes

Thank you for your support, dear wonderful friends! I was as shocked as any of you by the new look, but already I'm used to it and starting to prefer it. And the simple fact that it is more mobile-friendly is a huge improvement, when they tell us that mobile devices are the future! In fact, now I'm wondering whether our old friend's coming back and attempting more mischief might not have been a positive thing, meant to force a move that Spirit saw as necessary? I don't know, but - as they say - the Lord moves in mysterious ways ;-).

My biggest problem in this has been my being in the midst of a two-week trip, so when moving became essential I had to turn it all over to a stellar new friend who completed it and got us up again and running with amazing speed. And the priority for us was moving the forums; I think we likely can move and revive the blog section as well. But what are the archives that you miss, Mac?

7. mac

mac Staff Member

I have a saved link relating to the previous ALF website which led to an archive of old threads. I had posted it in a dedicated thread on one of the forums for easy reference.

I don't know how the archive was created - maybe it was a feature of the old system that automatically moved and stored older threads away from the active area creating an archive? That archive thread itself might since have been archived!

My browser link now leads nowhere so I assumed the archives hadn't been saved and restored here on the new site.

8. RobertaGrimes

Mac, all the threads are still here so it may be simply that your link needs to point to our new hosting platform. Have you tried finding it with the search function?

9. mac

mac Staff Member

Yes I searched for 'archive' before posting earlier but couldn't find the old one. I don't suppose it much matters. Maybe the threads are indeed all still there and provided one can recall the title or a key word then they will still be accessible.

In reality it's unlikely that I, or many others, would want to view an archive anyway.

10. marmaladecat

marmaladecat Guest

Hi Roberta, the new site looks great! Thank you for keeping the site up- I was sad to hear there were recent disruptions.