1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Afterlife Forums is an online, interactive community designed to give seekers direct access to prominent researchers, to afterlife literature, and to one another in order to foster both spiritual growth and public interest in life after death.

Was Einstein An Atheist?

Discussion in 'Spiritual Growth & Development' started by serenesam, Jul 5, 2013.

1. Jesse, you are right that we are developing a much better understanding of how various chemicals in the brain and body are related to our emotions. This understanding has led to the modern generation of anti-depressants, as doctors learn more about what serotonin, norepinephrine and dopamine do in our nervous systems. I don't know if it's quite right to say we are addicted to these types of chemicals, so much as to say that we find certain amounts of these substances to be pleasurable. For instance, dopamine is usually associated with good feelings and a sense of being rewarded. Many people who have addictions are really addicted to dopamine -- they have just found a preferred way of increasing their dopamine levels. This is probably why some people give up one addiction and replace it with another.

It's not possible to give up emotion completely (although being very depressed sort of feels like having no emotions.) Actually, there are people with brain damage or malfunction who do not experience emotion, and it is very difficult for them to make even routine decisions. Emotions are just a part of us, and as I've mentioned elsewhere, our thoughts and emotions are deeply intertwined. However, it is only your thoughts that you can directly control (or at least manage.)

2. May I be so bold as to offer an analogy: Our souls are like a shirt that we wear while tending a campfire. After the campfire is put out the campfire smell will linger on the shirt for a while until it fades away with time or is washed. The same way our earthly egos, necessary for survival on this hostile planet, will linger in the various afterlife levels. This is also necessary, else the shock of going from an egoic being to a being of light would be too much for us. Unless, of course, we start preparing ourselves now (practicing the art of dying) for the transition. This is what much of Buddhism, Hinduism and the various esoteric branches of the Judeo-Christian-Muslim religions do.

With Lovingkindness (metta),
    vic

3. I think that's a great analogy for what I was trying to describe. Thanks!

4. Vic, can I get directions to your cave and possibly reserve a room in said cave, a rock will do. Your way of thinking, your responses, your views work for me. Now to train myself to think and live them. :D

5. Thank-you for your kind words. Directions to my cave: Find yourself any place where you will not be interrupted by anyone, lock out all external distractions, now lock out all internal distractions, ie. that little chatterbox in our heads that never shuts up. You are now in my cave.

Granted locking out outside distractions is easily doable for most people, locking out the little chatterbox (annoying little bugger) takes lots of practice.

With Lovingkindness (metta),
    vic