1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Afterlife Forums is an online, interactive community designed to give seekers direct access to prominent researchers, to afterlife literature, and to one another in order to foster both spiritual growth and public interest in life after death.

want to start discussion group

Discussion in 'Member Introductions' started by tboneman2, Feb 9, 2012.

1. Hi,
    We live in a 55 plus retirement community in Florida. I have been reading about and more or less studying the afterlife and the paranormal for about 50 years.

I have been toying with the notion of starting a discussion group with the topic of the afterlife. Although our community is relatively small (about 200 homes), we are very active. There's always something going on, and we have a very nice large community clubhouse for all sorts of activities.

The only discussion group currently active is a bible study, which is very well attended. Not my cup of tea, but given the community age group, the large attendance is not surprising.

My thought is to discuss the afterlife in terms of what to expect, proof of the afterlife, NDEs, etc. This would not be a religious forum, and any attempt to introduce that aspect, including bible references, would be seriously frowned on.

I'm wondering if there are discussion tools/handouts available. If you know of anything along this line, please post it here or send me a private message here. I'm anticipating an initial attendance of, maybe, 15 or 20, (altho I really have no idea what to expect) so I will need about 25 info packs. I can create my own, and I may have to. But I'm hoping not to have to reinvent the wheel.

Any suggestions you might have about getting something like this going, will certainly be appreciated. Many thanks.

tbone

2. I have not started such a discussion group but I am interested in any responses you get. I can't seem to find any group local to me that fits my needs, either, so I am thinking of starting something similar (maybe through meetup.com) but I don't even have a built-in group like you seem to. I think Roberta's site http://funofdying.com/ has a list of resources that might be a good starting point. It doesn't sound like you want a "book club" but a suggested reading once a month or so might give some focus to your group discussions.

3. RobertaGrimes

RobertaGrimes Administrator

Hello Tbone! Welcome to the forums, and especially since you have been studying the afterlife I really hope that you will contribute here. I find that as I answer questions, I continue to discover new insights!

I think your idea is a great one. Think how many people you can help by simply exposing them to the truth! As our dear Birki says, there is a study guide available for free at funofdying.com, and two of the key books recommended there are available for free on the internet. The Fun of Dying is a brief and easily-read summary, and if you will send me a private message with your address I will be happy to send you a free copy. If you like the book, since it has been out for a year we are offering it to study groups for $5 per copy (to cover the cost of reprinting) - we will be happy to send you as many as you like. I do workshops, and I have to say that you are going to love facilitating your new group!