1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Afterlife Forums is an online, interactive community designed to give seekers direct access to prominent researchers, to afterlife literature, and to one another in order to foster both spiritual growth and public interest in life after death.

URGENT! PLEASE HELP! Are the spirits that try to communicate will us ALL demons?

Discussion in 'After-Death Communication' started by peachy4, Oct 23, 2016.

1. RobertaGrimes

RobertaGrimes Administrator

Dear BlueBird, as you know, AfterlifeForums is an EVIDENCE-BASED website. No mere opinion is acceptable here, but rather if evidence is presented for someone's point of view then we are happy to discuss that evidence. At once time we did allow religious discussion, but

(a) people treated their religious beliefs as somehow factual, rather than as mere beliefs; and

(b) we were soon in shooting wars!

No more. We ban religious discussions in this forum's rules, and we have learned that if we don't want another forum-clearing crisis, we must enforce those rules.

2. pandora97

pandora97 Well-Known Member

Roberta, perhaps we should consider adding politics to the ban?

3. mac

mac Staff Member

I disagree.

Religion and afterlife issues are related whereas politics and afterlife issues aren't. We have here on ALF two forums for 'Off Topic' discussions, one for members only, and both specially created on the old website for the discussion of politics and any other subject not related to afterlife matters.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2018
  4. bluebird

bluebird Regular Contributor

I do not consider this site to be evidence based, as I do not accept as evidence much of the material that you do. I am aware that you consider it to be an evidence-based site.

I'm not sure why you are reiterating your rules regarding religion to me, though, as I'm probably the last person here to advocate for any particular faith or religion.

5. RobertaGrimes

RobertaGrimes Administrator

Just because I was continuing on what you said; you seemed to be saying that discussion of beliefs was fine with you. And of course that's okay out in the world! It just is not allowed on ALF.

6. pandora97

pandora97 Well-Known Member

My mistake. Sorry:oops:

7. genewardsmith

genewardsmith Active Member

If you think the evidence is bad, that still means it's evidence. That you reject only some of the evidence as bad makes it even more of a stretch to call out the lack of evidence. If you like, you could specifically critique what you think is bad evidence.

8. bluebird

Thanks for your response. I do view most of what is put forth on this site (by all members/posters) regarding the afterlife, god, and related matters, as opinion, and I often enjoy reading and discussing their views. So you and I apparently view this site very differently.

That said, even given your view of the site, I was under the impression that you are fine with opinion statements and discussions in the off-topic and/or members-only areas. Is that not the case?

Last edited: Feb 21, 2018
  9. bluebird

No, it's not that I think it's bad, by and large, it's that I don't think it's evidence. I am using "evidence" in the sense of "proof of an afterlife", and I have never seen anything that proved to me the existence of an afterlife. I'm not saying no afterlife exists -- I hope it does -- only that I've seen nothing that to me constitutes proof. I know some other people have, and that's fine. We just have different thresholds for such things, I suppose.

10. genewardsmith

genewardsmith Active Member

Proof exists in mathematics; when talking about empirical evidence, we can insist only proof up to a certain standard. Lawyers talk of "beyond a reasonable doubt", and scientists about testing hypotheses. What standard of proof to you would constitute evidence?