1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Afterlife Forums is an online, interactive community designed to give seekers direct access to prominent researchers, to afterlife literature, and to one another in order to foster both spiritual growth and public interest in life after death.

Types With Fingers's Gospel Commentary

Discussion in 'Spiritual Growth & Development' started by Types With Fingers, Jun 23, 2015.

1. Hi guys, for those of you who don't know, I've been wrestling with an intense spiritual crisis for the past few months, where I dearly want to believe in something, but I simply don't know what's true. For me, I WANT to believe in hypersalvation, where this all-loving god doesn't care what religion you are, where our purpose is to love and learn, and hell is a temporary state, but I need to KNOW it's true.

To me it made sense a while back to read the Bible from the beginning. Well, that went over as well as dropping bricks on a cup of yogurt. I was not aware of how much violence there is in the Old Testament, how quick the OT God was to punish for minor infractions, and how many times He ordered what today would be considered crimes against humanity. I was shocked, to say the least. The worst part is, I don't know how to disprove that this isn't the real God, because I don't know who IS the real God.

One of our members recommended I read only the Gospels, being that the teachings of Jesus were supposed to match what we learned from NDEs and mediums. This has been hard for me, because the pain from reading the OT was so tremendous that I was afraid to read anything else. Then, I thought, maybe if I put on here my thoughts of what I was reading for discussion, it would make it easier for me to read it. So please, be civil.

Anyway, the first thing that caught my eye was, the beginning of Matthew, it starts with a genealogy of Jesus, but beginning with Abraham, and not Adam. Why is that?

I also noted the importance that's placed on dreams. Joseph ws told in a dream to do things, and he did them. It's interesting, because we talk a lot about the importance of dreams, loved ones sending us messages and all. I've been asking Jesus day and night to show me he's real, and nothings happened, maybe I ought to try asking for him to appear in my dreams?

By the way, how is naming the baby Jesus fulfilling the prophecy of naming the Messiah Emmanuel? Is Jesus the Greek equivalent of Emmanuel?

2. RobertaGrimes

RobertaGrimes Administrator

Dear friend, I have read the OT at least a dozen times. It has nothing whatsoever to do with the genuine God. Jesus Himself said that the Gospels replace the entire OT, so you can throw that away! And the NT after the Gospels is the work of a first-century man creating a first-century religion... which, appallingly, still is practiced today. But JESUS brought us the genuine word of God, and as God is eternal, so also the Gospels are eternal. I am so sorry that you are having this crisis, dear wonderful friend, but Jesus can fix it for you. Read ONLY the red letters in the Gospels! Nothing else in the Bible has anything to do with the genuine God.

3. But if that's the case, why bother reading Jesus's teachings at all? How do we know Jesus brought us the word of God if it can't be reconciled with the Old Testament? As you say, Jesus said he came to fulfill the OT, but he also said not one letter of the law would pass until he came. Doesnt that mean we still have to look at the OT?

4. bluebird

bluebird Well-Known Member

Have you considered looking into faiths other than Christianity? There are many, many other possibilities.

5. Hi bluebird, I've thought about it, and that presents another problem. There are so many faiths! Why? Why would a god allow so much confusion?

The truth is, I'm looking into Christianity because of its prevalence here in the US. There are some very loud voices here, and what I'm looking for is one that's louder than them all.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2015