1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Afterlife Forums is an online, interactive community designed to give seekers direct access to prominent researchers, to afterlife literature, and to one another in order to foster both spiritual growth and public interest in life after death.

The Real Reason People Blame God

Discussion in 'Spiritual Growth & Development' started by janef, Jun 14, 2014.

1. ilovelearninhg

ilovelearninhg Regular Contributor

The ones that I believed would happen and worked toward, yes. I've only found out in the past couple years how the power of thought works. So during the course of my life not everything I've wanted has come true. Also people die and get sick and of course you can't control that. But if you develop a belief in the afterlife, that would assure you they are still around. And also in the process of working toward something you want, what you want could change. That has happened to me. I'm not saying just wish believe and voila, it comes true. It's a process, a journey. Someone could say they want to win lotto but all they want is to feel secure. So you have to dig at what you really want and build from there. Ask yourself what you really want. Do some research and work on it. Write down things you want, goals. Making them real by writing them down starts the ball rolling.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2014
  2. ilovelearninhg

Wow, that doesn't sound like a coincidence to me! Really cool.

3. ilovelearninhg

True. I remember one day I was having a really bad day and this man smiled at me and I didn't smile at him in fact I may have actually frowned. And I never do that, usually. Even if I have a bad day I usually smile anyway, but on this day I didn't. Well the man looked devastated and I vowed never to do that again. Even a stranger's positivity or negativity has an effect.

4. This makes perfect sense to me. I especially like the point that "I want to win the lotto" is really "I want security" and if the desire is better understood the person can direct their energy more wisely.

I completely agree with everyone that "positive thinking" significantly improves the odds of good things happening in general, and even improves the odds of the specific good things one is hoping for. This was true when I was 12 and read Norman Vincent Peale, and it's true now. The mechanism by which this works is a combination of logic, social psychology and perhaps some more abstract "power of the mind."

So we aren't really disagreeing at all. I just get cautious when someone makes a blanket statement like "think positive and everything will be ok" because that is sort of broadly true, but easily misunderstood.

5. ilovelearninhg

Yes! I think that is a good explanation of how it works.

6. Highlander

Highlander Active Member

I like to boil things down to basics as I see them. So, it all comes down to common sense that being positive beats the alternative. Knowing for certain that there is an afterlife, although I don't claim to know much more than that basic fact, helps me a lot in dealing with life's ups and downs.
    A bad thing happened to me yesterday and I was gonna change my name, put on a false beard and leave town or maybe commit suicide. lol. I just believe people otta lighten up a bit and stop taking a temporarily difficult circumstance so seriously. We're not here for punishment; we're here to learn and what can you learn with your head in the sand?

7. frith

frith New Member

The problem with all this is how our civilization is set up. Everyone wants security, but very few get it due to our economic system where a few rich dominate the lives of the multitude of poor.

Whereas if you want to cause chaos its as simple as buying a gun and throwing your life and others away.

Everything on this planet is backwards from what it should be. Positive attitude and hard work don't have much effect upon the situation with the barriers setup as they are.

8. ilovelearninhg

The barriers are up in this world for sure. The positive attitude I was referring to was for personal goals, not to change the world. The world is what it is. The world that we perceive as physical is influenced by thoughts, actions and vibrations. No matter what we see, even if what we see is depressing, it isn't the final word. Think of all the inventions that would have never happened if someone thought their ideas were impossible. Positive thought does have effect because: it causes positive change, and it raises vibrations which helps cause the change to happen. Belief raises vibration. Constant negativity assures that even if a situation does change for the better someone with a negative attitude will down play it, act like it is a fluke. I know that for sure that is true, because I used to be a negative thinking person.

Writing things down brings ideas, which makes you more aware of things you want and things you can try to change for the better. Yes someone can go nuts with a shotgun, people die, the economy sucks. That doesn't mean you can't work on your inner self to help make spiritual sense of this world, and maybe in doing so might help make things better for yourself, and others.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2014
  9. janef

janef Moderator

What was significant was this type of transaction rarely happens! I was buying a property and it was in escrow, another party had seen it the week-end before and were so disappointed it had sold they wanted to offer me $30,000 cash to turn it over to them in escrow. I had never heard of this and my realtor said he had never seen it either but it was legal. Although I wanted the property, I really felt this was something special that happened. I was handed a 30k cashiers check, the exact amt. I lost in my previous sale and said I knew I would make it back. I knew it was no coincidence. Why was it not $25k?

I have known people to be cured of serious illness (cancer) with their mind, using visualization. I believe there is so much more we can do using our mind.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2014
  10. janef

janef Moderator

Subconscious Beliefs Are Key

Too many positive thinkers know that thinking good thoughts - and reciting affirmations for hours on end - doesn't always bring about the results that feel-good books promise.

Dr. Lipton didn't argue this point, because positive thoughts come from the conscious mind, while contradictory negative thoughts are usually programmed in the more powerful subconscious mind.

"The major problem is that people are aware of their conscious beliefs and behaviors, but not of subconscious beliefs and behaviors. Most people don't even acknowledge that their subconscious mind is at play, when the fact is that the subconscious mind is a million times more powerful than the conscious mind and that we operate 95 to 99 percent of our lives from subconscious programs.

"Your subconscious beliefs are working either for you or against you, but the truth is that you are not controlling your life, because your subconscious mind supersedes all conscious control. So when you are trying to heal from a conscious level - citing affirmations and telling yourself you're healthy - there may be an invisible subconscious program that's sabotaging you."

The power of the subconscious mind is elegantly revealed in people expressing multiple personalities. While occupying the mind-set of one personality, the individual may be severely allergic to strawberries. Then, in experiencing the mind-set of another personality, he or she eats them without consequence.

The new science of epigenetics promises that every person on the planet has the opportunity to become who they really are, complete with unimaginable power and the ability to operate from, and go for, the highest possibilities, including healing our bodies and our culture and living in peace.

Michael Forrester is a spiritual counselor and is a practicing motivational speaker for corporations in Japan, Canada and the United States.