1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Afterlife Forums is an online, interactive community designed to give seekers direct access to prominent researchers, to afterlife literature, and to one another in order to foster both spiritual growth and public interest in life after death.

The Irresistible Reunion

Discussion in 'After-Death Communication' started by Eyes Opened, Apr 12, 2020.

1. Eyes Opened

Eyes Opened New Member

Bluebird:

I found a song for you from my friend! He struggled with doubt, too. He's on acoustic guitar. Hope you find something here to help you, or at least some commiseration:

2. mac

mac Staff Member

You may be being mischievous or even provocative but, no, God is not "in love" with us..... The entity you refer to as 'God' has love of us something approximating the love we humans have for our children. (or some for their pets) God is no more in love with our form of life than we humans are 'in love' with our children - those who love their children love them unconditionally. (But let's not pussy-foot on the subject, not all do love their children.)

Children need a simplified teaching about survival. It's not sacred ground.

The situation concerning Mikey and Carol Morgan is in no way comparable. You are right that Mikey is highly unlikely to be able to reach your friend/partner/soul mate as he has no connection with him. As to comparative levels of spiritual status it's an imponderable as little appears to be known about your partner.

What do you do? The same as others - you get on with your life but with the privilege of knowing what you do.

And all that to what end?

So you've got things nailed?

Like many deeply moving events it can be cathartic to talk about them. The Quaker way is in some small respect similar to the way that directs me. In times long past we even held meetings in one of their churches - when some organisations refused to allow our gatherings - to help others understand our approach. I'm fond of the Quaker way although for me it would be too prescriptive.

I will often be found on threads here...... :)

3. Eyes Opened

Eyes Opened New Member

Thanks for all your input, Mac

I'm not sure if I've said something to offend you, but if you can bring the injury to my attention, I'm listening.

All the study I've done was undertaken, first, to understand this bizarre relationship which was unresolved at the time of my friend's death. That was before the reunion event. Afterwards, it was done to expand my own personal spiritual and emotional growth. I've made some steps forward more complete forgiveness, but I know I still have more work to do.

For example, it would have been impossible for me to approach God as a parent figure. My mother was so dangerous to me emotionally, spiritually, mentally and physically that if I'd been offered such a relationship with God, I would have never begun it. Richard was much the same way about his earthly father.
    When humans end up in obsessive, unrequited love relationships, they usually had abusive parents and attempt to resolve the parent/child bond with the first person they fall in love with--which is inevitably impossible to work out. As I said, this only happens to broken people. And surely God knows this.

As his ultimate object is to unite with all spiritually, I cannot find an objection to the use of this metaphor.

Yes, Mac, I was aware of the connection between Quakers and Spiritualists. Richard was a birthright Quaker, I have been a convinced Friend for a number of years now, and have discovered DNA relationships to a number of Quaker families. I also have family connections to Spiritualism, although my grandmother living in Rochester, NY had a serious stroke before I had a chance to meet her. I've been to Lily Dale, the property that was donated to Spiritualists by Quakers, and Chesterfield in Indiana.

So what I'm thinking now is that the metaphor of God as lover may be an accessible portal for those who are uncomfortable with an earthly parent who was too difficult to embody God for them.

Oh, PS--I'm a Taurus. too! What's your rising sign? Gemini here.

4. mac

mac Staff Member

Oh good lord, no. Not offended by anything you've said and if my responses come over that way then I'm sorry.

understood

If that's a response to my mentioning unconditional love it's not at all what I was talking about. I don't see God a parental figure either. God for me is an 'it' and not a 'he' (or the ridiculous way of writing 'He') or indeed a 'she'.

Seems I inadvertently hit a very raw nerve but that wasn't my intention - clearly my remark about not all parents showing love to their kids wasn't needed.

I accept your points. I'm blessed I haven't had to deal with the situation personally but my wife's childhood was blighted by her mother too and she struggled with life until we met and married.

Omniscient it's said.

It's not so much the object of this entity as something inevitable, the natural order.

I didn't mention Spiritualism but the link with that philosophy isn't all that strong anyway.

Is there such a sate of affairs - a state of persuasion one is born with a right to hold? o_O Or do you mean he was born to Quaker parents and/or into a Quaker family?

An adherent to a philosophy by persuasion I understand - it's how I became who I now am. But there does seem to be a situation where mediumship 'runs in the family' so to speak. You're privileged to enjoy your connections - I imagine it makes things easier, more accessible. I got here via a less well-defined route. ;)

I won't challenge what's working for you or for others.

I have no idea - I don't do astrology and I don't declare my birth date online in public. ;):)

5. Eyes Opened

Eyes Opened New Member

I am glad she found someone who is understanding and caring. Congratulations to both of you!

Good question, Mac. It's a little hard to pin Quakers down, as we tend to be a pretty individualistic lot and one does not speak for all.

I'm not sure whether the terminology is still used in the UK, but in the USA there are Quakers who can trace their ancestry back to immigrant Quaker ancestors or beyond. At the time he was born, Richard was considered a "birthright" Quaker, since he had one practicing Quaker parent of Quaker lineage. This expression acknowledges a lifestyle of reliance on "inner light" which can be transmitted environmentally, as well as ancestrally. Richard was from Richmond, Indiana, which is a major historic Quaker stronghold. His mother was the one with Quaker ancestors, although they can also be found on his father's side (if you go back far enough using DNA).

A Quaker by persuasion, by contrast, usually points to a specific event or experience--for example an instant of perception of the inner Light, which led to their adopting Quaker perspectives and practices.

6. mac

mac Staff Member

quote: "I'm not sure whether the terminology is still used in the UK, but in the USA there are Quakers who can trace their ancestry back to immigrant Quaker ancestors or beyond. At the time he was born, Richard was considered a "birthright" Quaker, since he had one practicing Quaker parent of Quaker lineage. This expression acknowledges a lifestyle of reliance on "inner light" which can be transmitted environmentally, as well as ancestrally. Richard was from Richmond, Indiana, which is a major historic Quaker stronghold. His mother was the one with Quaker ancestors, although they can also be found on his father's side (if you go back far enough using DNA).

A Quaker by persuasion, by contrast, usually points to a specific event or experience--for example an instant of perception of the inner Light, which led to their adopting Quaker perspectives and practices."

I would love to engage on this topic but ALF has a 'no politics, no religion' rule about conversations on specific religions and ours concerning Quakerism must cease. Thank you for your understanding.

7. Eyes Opened

Eyes Opened New Member

Hi, Mac

Mac, thank you for drawing this to my attention and please accept my apology. Never mind the Quaker discussion. None of that matters any more to me than if we went out for ice cream and you ordered something different than I did. Absolutely essential for you to be in harmony with your own palate, not mine. I'm sure we both find nourishment and satisfaction from our choices, and that is the point.

There is a topic I'd like to get into a bit more, though, that you raised here:

That's quite an honor, to be held to such a standard, although I'm not sure I fit those shoes. I don't know if I can sustain my vibrations that high for lengths of time, although my friend considers himself my spirit guide and may be willing to help out. I must admit, though, that I haven't thought of myself as a medium, much as I highly respect those I know who do this work. As far as I can tell, I'm just a broken person who had an unusual life experience and is struggling to come to terms with a difficult set of life circumstances. I am grateful for the mercy I've been shown, but I'm not at all sure how to share it around, except to tell my story.

8. mac

mac Staff Member

None needed and thank you for your understanding. :) It's easy to drift into such territory - I did and had to back track.

ah - I hadn't meant it in your personal situation. It was a follow-on comment from an earlier, general point in the conversation.

Mediums come in various shapes and flavors although my personal view of mediumship is something quite specific albeit simple. Your friend/partner may indeed be your spirit guide but based on what you've told us thus far I see him primarily as your helper.

For me your story could be just an opener but I don't know if you want to - or are able - to go much beyond that. By comparison I only occasionally relate my own opener preferring to engage with others on what I've learned since my 'awakening' in the hope something might appeal to them. If so they may wish to go further, to research and learn more from the recorded words and ideas of teachers and guides. I enjoy encouraging them to do that or to pursue their aims in other ways.

We are, after all, each on journeys that are personal, often taking very different routes. :)