1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Afterlife Forums is an online, interactive community designed to give seekers direct access to prominent researchers, to afterlife literature, and to one another in order to foster both spiritual growth and public interest in life after death.

The Irresistible Reunion

Discussion in 'After-Death Communication' started by Eyes Opened, Apr 12, 2020.

1. Eyes Opened

Eyes Opened New Member

Here's my introduction, for background:

I lost a friend in 1997 who was a prodigy and a gifted musician (something of a celebrity in his own genre, although a reluctant one). I was ending an abusive marriage and he was attempting to get together with me when he died in a car accident. The situation was so fraught and tragic that I couldn't even mourn him properly. I tried to live in some kind of denial-- as though he was simply on an extended tour and would return sometime. I just shoved any thought of him out of my head.

I had three suicidal children to raise. Those who have children will understand what occupied me for the next eleven years.

In 2008, after both my own parents had died, I finally began to come to terms with the fact my friend was dead.

In late April 2008, I had a re-connection with my friend which was unusual. I wrote a book about it which was published in 2012. There are still a few things about it I do not understand, but I am learning a little bit more over time. It is interesting to me to explore the experiences of others in the area of after-death communication, as it can help me understand what my friend was telling me, and why he chose to present it the way he did.

The Irresistible Reunion

I've written about it before, but it still is a challenge to try to put it into words. The day began as a usual one. I worked a second shift job, and was the last to leave the workplace that night. I'd begun feeling my friend around me in the previous days and weeks. I was feeling happier than usual, perhaps more open to his presence as I approached the elevator. I made a joke about being short, then spun and stepped into the elevator. Was I dizzy? What was this? I saw nothing, but I knew he was in the elevator with me, and he reached out and kissed me five times on the cheek. Impossible!! I'd kept him at a distance, very deliberately, for so long. How had he broken through?

As the elevator responded to the button pressed, I felt my body lurch through space. Instead of descending, I felt ascent and although my body remained in the elevator, my mind/soul/spirit were elsewhere. I went through an instant life review, being presented with all the times I had been engaged in unloving acts. It was like rising through a flame of self-recrimination. At the end, I was presented with a choice: abide in love, or leave the Presence I already felt as a tangible, unending, ever-unfolding limitless love; more necessary than breathing, the foundation of all existence. What did I see? Not really anything, only limitless space with a few sparkles like stars in a night sky or jewels in the dark. There was no time there, so I can only tell you that in what could have been an hour, a day, or a week, the elevator probably took less than a minute in real time to descend to ground level. If any living person had been there with me, they would only have seen a middle-aged woman sobbing for no reason.

I have tried to find similar experiences in the area of after-death communication, but have not found many parallels. In the terminology I'm finding on this forum, most after-death communication seems to transpire on the earth level, and some take place in the second to fifth levels. Mine wasn't very typical--no Elysian fields, no happy flowers and children. It was much more abstract, yet not cold: the pure love was warm and enveloping, to the point that perfect union was the object.

I did seek out a medium as part of my attempt to comprehend this message, and she connected with my friend readily. She said he was a very evolved soul, which makes sense. Yet I'm still pondering why he presented his message to me in such an unusual way.

Any thoughts are welcome. Happy Easter, all!

baob likes this.
  2. bluebird

bluebird Major Contributor

An intriguing experience; thank you for sharing it. Also, welcome to ALF. :) As you're new to the site, I don't know how familiar you may or may not be with the members here, so I will say about myself that I am agnostic regarding the existence of an afterlife, and agnostic verging on atheist regarding the existence of a god.

If there is an afterlife, in my opinion it does not consist of the sort of delineated levels in which some people believe -- I think that sort of thinking about the afterlife is quite limited, and based on a very earth-life way of looking at things. This is not to say that (assuming souls and an afterlife exist at all) some souls are not more spiritually advanced than others, only that I don't view the afterlife as a sort of spiritual video game, in which one must attain particular levels. Therefore, I am not surprised by the way you described your experience, as having no Elysian fields, no happy flowers or children. Some people might need to experience those things, or other things -- you did not, so your experience was what you needed, which makes sense.

p.s. Would you be willing to share the musical genre in which your friend excelled?

3. Eyes Opened

Eyes Opened New Member

Ironically, my friend was at the forefront of a genre known at the time as Contemporary Christian Music, or CCM. I say it was ironic, because although he was very devoted to spiritual growth and he loved Jesus, he was actually not fond of organized religion--or the mighty fan base that made him practically a contemporary avatar.

Our own relationship was intense, but never resolved into a romance in this life. His style of songwriting I think of as Troubadour. Perhaps he had a previous life in that period, because he was very fond of St. Francis of Assisi. I hear it as expressing a sense of human longing for the Divine.

It seems to me now that some of the reasons his message to me was so transcendent may have been: 1) He knew I would write about it, because who could not? It's like an obligation when you experience something so life-changing.
    2) He loved to perform, but he never really liked the response he got from his fans: too much adulation. How could he ever know unconditional love when everyone around him either tried to worship him, or saw him having a bad day and instantly abandoned him as a hypocrite?
    3) He did not want to encourage anyone who knew the story of our reunion to put effort into building up a religion, cult or sect around his personality.

Of course, he is able to forgive the fans who loved him without knowing him, but if he encourages them in a false spirituality, he is only holding them back.
    We learn unconditional love from those who wound us, and those we wound. Imagined relationships with rock stars and celebrities rarely teach us how to love unconditionally.

There are emotional problems that go with being a prodigy that we do not usually consider. If he had been strictly personal with me in our reunion, the story would have been prettier, maybe even romantic. But the consequences for his fans might have been unfortunate. It may not be spiritually healthy for the living to attach to a celebrity who is unknown personally and make him into their own "personal Jesus."

Here's a sample of a song he wrote:

He started as a two-year old prodigy to learn piano, but eventually learned to play a great number of instruments with skill. Here he is on hammered dulcimer:

There are lots more videos on YouTube under his stage name, Rich Mullins.

4. mac

mac Staff Member

I'm unable to offer any to help but my thoughts are that if you've been unable to make contact with many/any others who have experienced something similar I fear you may not do any better here on ALF. My view is that your relationship with this man was very special and what happened to you likely unique. Only he and you know the details and only you two will be able to understand its significance I expect.

5. Eyes Opened

Eyes Opened New Member

PS: Bluebird, thanks for your interest. To clarify, I don't deny anyone else's after-death communication experiences, however they processed them. It's a much bigger afterlife than any of us can comprehend. I hope you have an adventure finding your way around it!

Thanks for your remarks, Mac. Yes, it was personal. But the universal is built on the personal, for a songwriter, anyway. so anyone here is welcome to take from it what they are able.

6. mac

mac Staff Member

I do hope folk will take something from your account, EO, but relating to others' experiences, and/or drawing from them may not be possible. My own approach to such accounts is to try to understand the events I'm hearing about. Is his music of any significance to you personally? You've posted a great deal about it but I'm failing to see if it's relevant to your relationship. From where I'm standing it seems not to be but maybe I'm just not following?

7. Eyes Opened

Eyes Opened New Member

Hi, Mac

Good question. If you find my response inadequate, I'm glad to attempt to fill in the blanks.

I know I jumped into the middle of the story, so I apologize. I guess it's my nature to try to get to the point even though I skip over too much in the process. The relationship I had with this songwriter was one my medium friend described as "Artist-Muse." It's kind of subtle, would perhaps be described as an avoidant relationship pattern. Some people would look at it and say that I never consented to date him and because we never kissed in this lifetime, nothing happened between us. Except the Artist/Muse relationship is the foundation of the songs he wrote, which referred to our conversations quite consistently. Of course, only I would know this, which is why I ended up writing a book. The relationship is parallel to the relationship between God and humankind, where the human is the one running away from the one who is in love (God, or in this case, the songwriter).

Only broken people engage in this sort of relationship, but who among us is whole?

8. bluebird

bluebird Major Contributor

Eyes,

It's not my sort of music/genre, but your friend was/is clearly very talented. Love the dulcimer!

9. mac

mac Staff Member

It's not that it was inadequate so much as I couldn't put the pieces together based on what you'd said. Maybe that's just me being dense! :D

Firstly I had to look up what the term means so I've now moved forward a step. I don't, though, see it's necessarily a parallel for the relationship between God and humankind but that's a topic for a different conversation. ;) What I am wondering now is exactly what you're looking for in spiritual or afterlife terms. Clearly you're well aware of survival and trans-dimensional communication so they're not aspects you need help with. Actually quite a few members would love to enjoy the assurance you enjoy. ;) But that's another topic too.

I do understand you'd like to find someone with a similar tale to tell (I think that's right???) but I'm not aware of any ALF members who are, or have been, in such a situation. I get that you're trying to understand why he connected with you the way he did but using my Taurean, feet-of-clay approach he's the guy to tell you that. An experienced spiritual medium, perhaps the same one you visited with, maybe someone else, but not a psychic medium, might be able to convey his explanation for you, to you, but I wonder if it really matters why.

Maybe what really matters is that you connected with him and that you have recognised there's something between you and him that goes beyond the mundaneness of any relationship you had in this dimension. Does any of that make any sense?

10. Eyes Opened

Eyes Opened New Member

Firstly I had to look up what the term means so I've now moved forward a step. I don't, though, see it's necessarily a parallel for the relationship between God and humankind but that's a topic for a different conversation. ;)

Good suggestion. Proposed Topic: Is God in Love with Us?

What I am wondering now is exactly what you're looking for in spiritual or afterlife terms. Clearly you're well aware of survival and trans-dimensional communication so they're not aspects you need help with. Actually quite a few members would love to enjoy the assurance you enjoy. ;) But that's another topic too.

Another one! I am actually trying to navigate this with my five-year-old granddaughter just now. Proposed Topic: Conversations with my (Living) Granddaughter: Walking on Sacred Ground

I do understand you'd like to find someone with a similar tale to tell (I think that's right???) but I'm not aware of any ALF members who are, or have been, in such a situation.

If there is anyone here with a similar experience, I would love to hear from you to compare notes!
    I think the Mikey-Carol thread is significant, but not entirely parallel. I have read enough to know that it's probably futile to ask whether Mikey has knowledge of my friend. They could both be highly advanced spiritually without personally being acquainted, from what I understand.

I get that you're trying to understand why he connected with you the way he did but using my Taurean, feet-of-clay approach he's the guy to tell you that. An experienced spiritual medium, perhaps the same one you visited with, maybe someone else, but not a psychic medium, might be able to convey his explanation for you, to you, but I wonder if it really matters why.

Agreed. The point is, the premature reunion happened, it changed my life, so what do I do with the rest of my life?

I have spent hours with the medium I mentioned above, I have been in regular contact with my friend through telepathy, I have gotten signs, even songs in random stores that began playing his music (popular in certain circles but not mainstream) after I came in. I get affirmations quite often.

Even prior to this event, I spent years of my life attempting to understand my relationship with this person, approaching it from every direction I have been able to access. Over time, I learned various systems of divination, astrology, etc. in an attempt to gain insights. Learning Vedic (Hindu) natal astrology has been extremely helpful to me.

Actually, the most help I've had so far has been from a Quaker elder who himself had a significant experience with the Light. Like most Quaker elders, he was a man of vast listening capacity and few words. He said, "Tell your story. Whenever you can, tell what happened to you." So I do.

Maybe what really matters is that you connected with him and that you have recognised there's something between you and him that goes beyond the mundaneness of any relationship you had in this dimension. Does any of that make any sense?

Yes, thank you for your kind attention, Mac. Hope to see you on another thread!