1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Afterlife Forums is an online, interactive community designed to give seekers direct access to prominent researchers, to afterlife literature, and to one another in order to foster both spiritual growth and public interest in life after death.

Suicide

Discussion in 'Spiritual Growth & Development' started by RobertaGrimes, May 2, 2012.

1. mac

mac senior member Staff Member

Wow - this thread began way back in 2012! Roberta posted the bit you quoted and I disagree with it.

Well nobody HAS to attend their own funeral ceremony so if they're not there they wouldn't see their loved ones there. If (s)he did decide to attend (s)he'd likely be aware of the grief of those attending. How (s)he'd react to that situation is, of course, conjecture - different strokes for different folk. I'd expect the one whose funeral it was would feel some sadness, or remorse, or even guilt but who knows how much of which and how long those feelings would last? Again it's gonna vary person to person.

bluebird likes this.
  2. genewardsmith

genewardsmith Active Member

A book I'd recommend on this topic is "Stephen Lives", by Anne Puryear. It's sad, because he deeply regretted what he had done. But also hopeful, because he was helped and treated, rather than punished. The Wood of the Suicides view of Dante comes about because the theory is, with no time to repent, suicides necessarily go to hell. This has nothing to do with reality.

Another source people might find interesting are the Stephen Ward tapes of Flint. Ward was unfairly convicted in connection with the Profumo affair of being in effect a pimp, which was false but that's politics. He committed suicide following the verdict, which was a mistake but an understandable one. As for Stephen Puryear's motives, it has do to with the mysterious workings of the teen-aged mind, which is part of why it's so sad.

Harmonica likes this.
  3. Harmonica

Harmonica New Member

I' m going to order Stephen Lives, if I can find it. Sounds like a good read! Thanks for the recommendation.

genewardsmith likes this.
  4. RobertaGrimes

RobertaGrimes Administrator

It isn't punishment, of course! But each of us will go through a life review during which - among other things - we will experience the way we have made other people feel, for good or ill. Think of it as a kind of karma, and in fact it does happen after every death. To me, that fact alone is reason enough to urge everyone not to commit suicide, no matter what!

The real problem with killing yourself is that you cannot kill your mind... so if your mind is troubled, then killing yourself doesn't do you one blessed bit of good.

5. RobertaGrimes

RobertaGrimes Administrator

Great recommendations as always, dear Gene!

6. Kurt

Kurt Well-Known Member

I always felt like this... If I died, no - one would care and some would be happy (my aunt tried to murder me when I was 2 and one of my stepparents encouraged me to kill myself, getting mad when it failed.) As a matter of fact, I was told by my lawyer that if I die, my "estate" (I do not own much of anything, so I am clueless as to whatever 'estate' he is mentioning.... he also said it might be donated to charity.) will be auctioned off and I will be cremated, with my ashes sent directly to the junkyard, since that would be the most cost efficient way to handle my funeral... as a matter of fact it would be profitable for some.

Granted, I last tried to kill myself on 8/21/14. I had an NDE, studied the afterlife a bit and came here on 5/12/16

7. pandora97

pandora97 Well-Known Member

Kurt, I'm very glad you're still with us. :)

Kurt likes this.
  8. Kurt

Kurt Well-Known Member

Thank you Pandora. That means a lot to me.

9. ravensgate

ravensgate Active Member

Well, for all it may be worth, I would most definitely care about your untimely death, Kurt.
    I find it rather intriguing how death features in your life, from the time you were 2 years old to your last attempt in 2014.
    I understand that what you chose to share with us is highly personal, and I thank you for it. Have no idea what might have caused your attempted suicide, but I sincerely hope you have found or are finding a way and the means to overcome it.
    Please feel free to PM - any time.

bluebird and Kurt like this.
  10. Kurt

Kurt Well-Known Member

Thanks.