1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Afterlife Forums is an online, interactive community designed to give seekers direct access to prominent researchers, to afterlife literature, and to one another in order to foster both spiritual growth and public interest in life after death.

suicide and Silver Birch teachings

Discussion in 'Carol and Mikey Q&A 'follow-on-discussions'' started by mac, Dec 15, 2019.

1. baob

baob New Member

Thanks for your response! I don't have that further explanation on my Silver Birch's book. Suicide is one of the ways ending a life and should be part of the karma. Then why does it need time to adjust? (According to Silver Birch, it is against the nature of the law). For what will they make adjustments? Some of the spirits said suicide can be considered part of the plan.

2. mac

mac Staff Member

Which compilations are you guys reading? Various authors have compiled SB's teachings and there may be more info on a topic in one book than there is in another. So which books by which authors?

3. baob

baob New Member

I quoted from "Teachings of Silver Birch" Edited by A. W. Austen. Some of the spirits said suicide can be considered part of the plan, which is not from Silver Birch. I mentioned it here just help to raise my question.

4. mac

mac Staff Member

That's confusing. What is the source from which you've quoted "Some of the spirits....." etc?

5. Lola Hoovler

Lola Hoovler Active Member

It's confusing because lots of mediums have connected with those who committed suicide and they seem okay, and the only reason it might create a "gulf" at first may be because when a person commits suicide, they are in a depressive state and their vibrations are probably quite low. This could very well create the "gulf" Silver Birch was talking about.

mac likes this.
  6. mac

mac Staff Member

I've just discussed suicide elsewhere here. I fear there's a lot more confusion than clarity about the subject.

7. Lola Hoovler

I think the confusion comes from the fact that there is no "one size fits all" answer to suicide due to the countless reasons why people take their own lives. Depression is probably the number 1 reason, but there are often other factors involved. How people deal with their issues after they pass is another factor, and the list goes on and on.

8. mac

mac Staff Member

I agree with you, Lola. Perhaps what's missing from pronouncements on suicide is the compassion you're showing. I admit I don't know 'chapter and verse' on this subject but the overwhelming feeling I've gotten is one of admonishment "Don't do it or you'll be sorry." without any detailed explanation about why you'd be sorry. Even with an explanation someone struggling with profound depression is unlikely to be helped by it I suggest.

The admonishment is surely aimed at anyone contemplating suicide to escape a non medical situation they felt they couldn't deal with, individuals who have abused their fellow humankind or killed them for examples. And would it work? There's very little probability it would work - I also suggest - and any such warning about ending one's life will be heard by few and heeded by fewer....

The logical way to try to help anyone suicidal is through the sleeptime counseling by spirit helpers we hear about. We can only assume that does get done but fails so what likelihood is there that human intervention would help?

9. Lola Hoovler

Yeah, Mac, it is unlikely that any intervention by anyone alive or dead would change a person's mind if they were hell bent on committing suicide. However, at the hospital I worked at, they had a "suicide hotline", and this has been responsible for saving many lives. However, these were the people who were contemplating suicide with no set plan at the time. Many people thinking of suicide feel that the world and the people in it have let them down and don't care about them, and basically they feel like outcasts. The hotline gives them a chance to vent and speak with a trained listener who won't say silly things like "snap out of it" or some such crap. Instead, they are given access to resources designed to assist people with suicide ideology However, someone in an extreme state of depression won't call the suicide hotline because they aren't looking for a sympathetic ear - it has gone beyond that. I find it appalling that until recently, suicide was treated as a grave sin against God etc. None of us including health care professionals know enough about the human mind, and know even less about the individual, to judge them in this manner.

10. mac

mac Staff Member

The topic of suicide is an evergreen one. I'm all for hotlines and trained counselers. If you take a look here: suicide and in the 'Resources' section you'll see the ALF approach although ALF will be seen by very few likely to end their lives.

Counseling may help in crisis situations but long-term help costs big bucks. It has to be paid for here in the US and although in the UK it's part of our free-at-the-point-of-delivery national healthcare system, resources are stretched there beyond breaking point, trained counseling staff are overworked and under-supported and many desperate for mental/emotional help and support are being let down and left struggling by themselves. For those too sick even to approach the service to ask for help all that is academic and they may eventually take their own lives.

I, too, remember growing up in an age where both suicide and homosexualism were crimes, both spoken of in hushed voices or not spoken of at all. And as you say, mainstream church used to teach (perhaps still does?) suicide was a sin against God, condemning the intent and action rather than offering support to those greatly needing it.

We can only hope in the years to come, perhaps before I have passed, the overall situation will have improved but I won't be holding my breath inbetween times. :(

Last edited: Dec 19, 2019
    baob likes this.