1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Afterlife Forums is an online, interactive community designed to give seekers direct access to prominent researchers, to afterlife literature, and to one another in order to foster both spiritual growth and public interest in life after death.

stinky onions!

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussions' started by mac, May 12, 2019.

1. mac

mac Staff Member

I bet the title caught your eye! :D I think this story might amuse you but there is also a serious message behind the attention grabber title.

This Sunday morning I went downstairs, walked through the living room and into the dining room where I immediately smelled something thoroughly unpleasant - stinky onions. The kitchen was as bad. OK that's nothing out of the ordinary if you eat onions but we don't.

I don't ever cook with onions and neither of us can eat them safely so my wife studiously avoids all the many, many ready-meals containing them - we don't have onions in our home. So where did the smell of onions come from? We sniffed high and low, checked every cupboard, checked the drains, checked the fridge in case we'd inadvertently brought something in from the store. There was no localised smell; it was just everywhere in both rooms.....

Now here on ALF we've got a thread about signs and symbols and I've read about many kinds. Might there be someone 'over there' playing a game with us, someone who knows how much we hate onions (and garlic!), someone sending us us a bizarre, but understandable, sign to say they're around?

Feathers, butterflies, rainbows and the like are often reported and have significance for some but how would you send something sufficiently out of the ordinary to make an impact on this grumpy, old curmudgeon who would dismiss for himself all the more common signs? ;)

Kurt likes this.
  2. poeticblue

poeticblue Moderator

Was there someone in your family and/or close to you that liked to use onions and other vegetables in their food or for some other reasoning? Folks in the afterlife still have a sense of humor as I’ve found out over the years.

Case in point, I remember making a few post on this forum about spirits only dropping coins on the ground rather than dollar bills as a visitation sign. Why not actual green money? How cheap of them!

I would say about about a year and a half later I started finding random money on the ground and in odd places where I went grocery shopping. Little change here and there in which I never really thought much about it. Then I found a $100.00 bill that was outside of a Dollar Store (of all places) and a week later my daughter Gabby found a $10.00 bill at her school. Several months back, I found 50 dollars casually laying outside of our local pharmacy. Not even the wind blew it away. Was it all luck, ‘karma’ from a past favor, a visitational sign? Not sure. But I would like to think it was some sort of sign that we were being looked after especially since funds can be tight at times.

But anyways back to your post Mac, signs come in all forms. I’ve read about people having smelled cigar/cigarette smoke from loved ones that have passed on that had partaken in such recreational activities when they were alive. It doesn’t necessarily mean they are still doing those activities in the afterlife, but maybe it’s a clear sign of a visitation for some.

Kurt likes this.
  3. mac

mac Staff Member

Both of us have also smelled cigarette smoke in our home - potentially highly indicative of my mother who smoked like a chimney in her last years - often remarking to one another as we both picked the smell up.

In answer to your question, no there's nobody I can think of who especially cooked with onions but who knows who might recall that we can't eat them and is pulling our legs? ;):) And sending me a sign.....

And the money that came your way might well have been sent by someone looking out for you both.

Kurt and poeticblue like this.
  4. ravensgate

ravensgate Active Member

Mac, sometimes rotten potatoes end up smelling a bit like onions. Bacteria build-up might also be the culprit... or a drain issue? Always possible that it could be a relative or friend from the other side feeling especially cheeky! Interesting nevertheless. Let us know if you figure it out :)
    As an afterthought, propyl mercaptan also smells like onions; could anyone have used it? Do you have wild onions growing in your yard? We do, and I think they have pretty flowers, but when they mow, wow, it reeks of onions for a few days, inside and out :D

Last edited: May 13, 2019
    Kurt likes this.
  5. mac

mac Staff Member

I had checked our trash bin for smells (nothing) and I cooked at lunch the only potatoes we had in the house - they were fresh and tasty. There was no smell from the sink drain, one of the first things I checked. My wife opened the door to see if the smell had come from outdoors. It was fresh when she checked but, of course, the smell might have started there earlier and migrated indoors before it got blown away - but there was no wind.

You know I'm not one for making things fit but I've been unable to find a mundane explanation. If I do think of anything I'll let you know....

I wondered about crops and/or chemical use but we're not near to any growing area. Having said that it might have been carried from fields some way off and then dissipated before we went outdoors to check. Similarly ethyl mercaptan perhaps in the town gas supply but there's no way to know if there had been such a transient event.

Time after time here on ALF we're being told we shouldn't dismiss signs and symbols that may be messages from our loved ones in spirit but I'm loathe to be seen making things fit.

ravensgate and Kurt like this.
  6. Kurt

Kurt Well-Known Member

I'd send a cat. And put Nirvana on the radio.

7. mac

mac Staff Member

:confused:o_O:rolleyes:

Kurt likes this.
  8. Kurt

Kurt Well-Known Member

Lol

9. mac

mac Staff Member

Here's a follow-on from the thread's main theme.....

Wednesday evening this week my wife remarked suddenly "Cat pee - I can smell cat pee in the kitchen. Have you just brought something in from the yard?" I knew for certain that I hadn't because I'd been indoors all afternoon, we'd both fallen asleep (old farts!) and after waking I hadn't left the house because I was playing with our new sat nav trying to understand how it works! We thought a passing tom cat had left his odor on our back door (we've had lots of cats and that was once a regular occurrence) but getting down and sniffing the door and surrounding area there was nothing. So we had another mystery smell but this one I was eventually able to suss out.

My wife had been grocery shopping and had bought some donut nectarines which were in a bowl on the counter top. She'd pushed them under my nose that same evening and asked if that's was what we could smell but both of us concluded they just smelled like delicious, ripe peach. BUT this morning I was working on a computer on the same countertop with the bowl of nectarines a couple of feet away and I noticed the unmistakable smell of cat pee again. Getting closer it was a peach smell; a little way off it seemed like cat pee!

Still can't attribute the smell of stinky onions to something else but who knows what we might have missed, eh? ;):D Perhaps not a discarnate at work after all.... ;)

Kurt and ravensgate like this.
  10. ravensgate

ravensgate Active Member

Lol, did that change your mind about eating the donut nectarines? :D