1. Afterlife Forums is an online, interactive community designed to give seekers direct access to prominent researchers, to afterlife literature, and to one another in order to foster both spiritual growth and public interest in life after death.
    Dismiss Notice

Steve's ponderings

Discussion in 'General Afterlife Discussions' started by STEVEN LEVEE, Feb 10, 2018.

1. Cute Bear

Cute Bear Banned

2. mac

mac senior member Staff Member

over analysing?

I wonder if Steve's and his friend's potentially-different understandings come from one having studied work published well over a century ago and the other not having done?

Last edited: Feb 15, 2018
  3. genewardsmith

genewardsmith Active Member

None, but I may undertake a longer search. There were people who don't believe in God, but who believe in a spiritual power which sounds like God to me; I don't plan on counting that.

4. Cute Bear

Cute Bear Banned

No validating my statement that "Dictionaries do not define individual expressions of a word" and fluidly demonstrating that asking an individual to define "atheist" is an entirely reasonable and well-tempered request.

pandora97 likes this.
  5. STEVEN LEVEE

STEVEN LEVEE Member

There's no doubt I have researched alot more than he has Mac...& have alot more first hand/hands on experiences/evidence than him...
    We spoke the other day & I totally see where he's coming from...not that it's right or wrong...just his view.
    He has gone to a couple of mediums & his father has come through quite clearly to him. He does believe that we are spirit...He just says he doesn't believe in a "Great Spirit." I called him a fool...we both laughed...it's all good:)!

6. mac

It's good you have embraced your different approaches and remain friends. :)

7. Amore

Amore Active Member

Well if she was mad at God she still believed in him, right?

Probably the search term you used brought up this report because she used those exact words?

In the questionnaire are multiple choice questions regarding religion and the belief in God before and after the NDE. For many people this changed. Some started to believe in God after their NDE, others stopped. Some say they don't know. It's very interesting how differently people react to such an experience.

8. mac

true that! :)

9. Luizcarlos

Luizcarlos New Member

I'd like to offer my opinion even though I may be entirely incorrect. I am participating in this forum because I believe I have a lot to learn and think there are a lot of people out there who have good insights to offer. So whatever I say here I hope not to offend anyone, for it is not my intention.

I ask myself, what is the meaning of Atheism because I fall in the category of an atheist even though I would rather call myself a thinker?

The main definition of atheism is a disbelief or lack of belief in the existence of God or gods, right?
    And what is the meaning of belief? An acceptance that a statement is true or that something exists. But more precisely, BELIEF is the acceptance of something because we have put no personal effort to gather the facts, to learn. When you have the facts it turns into knowledge instead of belief. So in that sense, an atheist is NO different than a believer.

What is God anyways?
    So many people talk about a God as though they know God or as though God is an Individual.
    I look in Nature and I see manifestation of Intelligence. Is Intelligence God? I have the ability to think and reason. Is Mind God?
    The truth of the matter is that NO one knows what God is, if there is such a thing. Humans, in this mortal existence as well as in the afterlife, have the proclivity to religionize things they don't understand.

I don't claim to know HOW life (the universe) came into existence. I totally ignore both science and religion in that regards. I think we can live a billion years and never know and whatever one says in that regards is simply speculation and/or belief. What we think the truth is today we may see it entirely different one hundred years later.

I think LIFE is about EXPERIENCE. Have you ever gotten an electric shock? If you have, you have the experience, the knowledge of what it feels like to get an electric shock. Others may know about it, believe it, but lack the knowledge, the experience.

Can we believe in the afterlife?
    I think my point is that it makes no difference if you believe or not believe, if you are an atheist or not.
    We can believe as much as wish in this thing we call the afterlife. I personally DON'T believe in the afterlife. I ACCEPT the possibility of life after death because it makes perfect sense to me, because it is logical to me; I accept it based on personal experience, the experience of others and because I have put the effort into researching everything possible about it.

Do I believe in God?

Not I DON'T, (at least not in this religious, anthropomorphic God that most people talk about) but I accept that there is a creative force; an Intelligence that governs life.
    I look at myself in the mirror and I see Perfection, Intelligence. I look at my dogs and I see perfection and Intelligence, therefore there must be a great mind behind all this wonderful world; what that is, I don't know and I would rather not religionize about it.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2018
  10. STEVEN LEVEE

STEVEN LEVEE Member

Hi Luiz,
    You have the right idea (IMO, it's always IMO understood) about the creative intellingent force that governs all nature...add all loving in there & you have it. the Source of all existence/life...that's it...NOT a person...WE are not people...we are spirit...the source is not a person, it is the GREAT SPIRIT...we are all part of it...We are all little gods/spirits walking around on the physical plane...IF you believe that, then you do believe in god. Religion has NOTHING to do with it. I've heard Jesus himself say (through a transe medium) that he never wanted a religion made about him. That religions are all very beautiful and also very flawed. He says that natural law is the thing. And I gotta agree with him:)!

pandora97 likes this.
  11. pandora97

pandora97 Member

:D