1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Afterlife Forums is an online, interactive community designed to give seekers direct access to prominent researchers, to afterlife literature, and to one another in order to foster both spiritual growth and public interest in life after death.

spiritualism - members beliefs and thoughts

Discussion in 'Religion, Faith, Belief - your story' started by Ruby, Dec 7, 2020.

1. DenverGuy

DenverGuy Active Member

Ruby, you are right. The FFF people are terrific. I feel bad for Bob, having lost both his daughter and his wife, Phran (last year). I had talked to her on the phone over the years and we exchanged several e-mails. When she wrote back they were long e-mails, and when we talked on the phone it wasn't quick, either. She really cared and gave me a lot of reassurance. It felt really good to meet them. I knew even before then that they were the real deal and that this was/is a passion for them, not a way to make money.

I have 12 minutes to go in the 4th episode. I watch a little at a time. I will have to go back and see how Mike's reading went. I know he had a reading with a guy that didn't go well, but I don't remember one with a lady. That's a good point about the notion that they might be getting online information clairvoyantly. I never thought of that. That certainly wouldn't be cheating.

The seance and talking in those voices was weird, and I found myself laughing when the Dutch lady was talking like a little boy and that older guy. That wasn't the reaction I wanted, of course, but it seemed silly.

I am a little surprised that this show isn't more of a thing on this site.

I hope that if Mac, Bluebird, and others watch it they will post their valuable insight.

2. mac

mac Staff Member

I discontinued Netflix at the end of December because the monthly payments were eating into my Wells Fargo checking account balance! There's now not a lot left in there and the way this pandemic's going I might not be returning to the USA so I don't plan on topping my balance up. The upshot of that, of course, is that I can't now view that series.

As for why it's not (quote) "more of a thing on this site" then my response is that this website appears moribund. Many existing members appear only occasionally, others I never see online or hear from - ever. I've created more forums than ever before but still there's bugger-all interest in them.

I'm often the only bod around and often there's not a single comment posted in days other than mine. Perhaps ALF is providing every single visitor and member with every resource and every answer they're seeking? Or perhaps nobody is much interested in any of it?

Maybe it's time to just knock it in the head. :(

Last edited: Jan 13, 2021
  3. bluebird

bluebird Major Contributor

mac, speaking for myself, since this site is mainly meant to be for afterlife discussions by those who largely already have a belief in an afterlife, there isn't much here I can add to or participate in. I do comment in those threads and on those subjects where I feel I have something to contribute, but much of what's on this site approaches afterlife topics from the position that such a place exists, and I don't necessarily hold that view.

I know you feel that site participation has been down for quite a long time, and you may be right, but more recently I would assume that the pandemic has something to do with it.

4. Ruby

Ruby Established Member

DenverGuy, if I remember correctly from a few days ago when I watched it, Mick sat in on a trance reading with the Dutch lady and received very evidential information, but then found that it was all available online. That's all I meant about the reading with a lady. I had a similar reaction to the theatricals of the trance reading. I watched the last two episodes last night and it was emotionally draining. I had to make an attempt to pull myself together as I was getting close to the breaking down and bawling stage! Really excellent!

5. mac

mac Staff Member

I agree it's predicated on there being an afterlife but not with the remark it's largely for those who subscribe to that notion.

Nonetheless I do understand it's hard for anyone unpersuaded to engage very far or add much. But I'm sure you know my remark about non-involvement wasn't aimed at you. You're one of the regulars who despite her doubts does engage where she can. And I do accept folk can take whatever they choose from this website but it's very dispiriting - for me - that so few contribute anything, even in forums nothing to do with the afterlife.

I've seen no drop off in activity levels since the pandemic began. The lack of interest has hardly changed in ages.

6. mac

mac Staff Member

It doesn't happen much here on ALF but I have seen it elsewhere on other websites. Members will grumble that there's nothing new or interesting but they don't contribute anything themselves, not even by asking a question, but want just to read what someone else spent time and effort on.

That's fine for certain websites where a small group of members form a regular core who constantly grumble about all their pet dislikes - politics and religion often favorites - and others read what they write. But ALF isn't that kind of website and its forums are there with the hope they'll encourage seekers and new members to come and join the conversations. Without new contributions the pages become stale and uninviting. Without new members joining discussions there's little anyone can do to try to support them.

Last year I bought a small book collection, indexed the pages for easy finding of topics, and got my electronic kit prepared so I could offer clips of guidance that I hoped might appeal to seekers and existing members alike. I have been able to use those resources barely a handful of times and while returning our Christmas decorations to storage in our loft - first time since 2011 they'd seen daylight - I pushed all the books and related information up there too. I doubt they'll see the light of day again 'til someone else clears the loft after I kick my clogs. They'll end up in a dumpster or recycled.

Do I sound despondent?

Last edited: Jan 14, 2021
  7. Ruby

Ruby Established Member

Aw, that's a shame, mac. You won't need to go up to the loft for this one though. I remember you saying that you had a friend who was a medium. Was this before the days of the internet? Was he successful?

8. mac

mac Staff Member

Didn't much of what we oldies remember happen before the days of the world wide web? :D

It's hard to remember just how recently the web entered our lives because so much of what many see and do every day, almost every minute for some, happens online. But spiritual issues are less impacted although at the moment even churches are using the Zoom platform for services just as some mediums are doing.

9. mac

mac Staff Member

Bridgerton prompted our return to Netflix today so while my wife watched the first episodes of the series I began watching a series more appropriate to my own interest.....;)

I didn't bother with the first episode at all, the one about NDEs. I started with the second which is actually the first of two about mediumship. I'm going to comment episode by episode on what I find it rather than watching them all first.

This second episode was interesting and largely reflected what I know of mediumship but I was VERY surprised how much time was devoted to physical mediumship. The commentary declared it to be uncommon nowadays but then the episode devoted a lot of time to it and to its development. Given that most seekers are unlikely to experience this form of mediumship I was very surprised so much time had been given to explaining it.

Much less time was given to healing yet that is something of huge potential benefit to sufferers. I found the imbalance very disappointing but perhaps in the next episode about mediumship that balance will be redressed.

10. bluebird

bluebird Major Contributor

Thanks, mac. I definitely didn't take your "non-involvement" comment personally or as aimed at me; I just thought I'd offer one perspective on why participation might be down.

I am surprised to hear that the pandemic hasn't affected activity levels. I would have expected people to either stop participating because they have other things on their mind, or to increase their participation because they're stuck at home and interacting mainly online.