1. Afterlife Forums is an online, interactive community designed to give seekers direct access to prominent researchers, to afterlife literature, and to one another in order to foster both spiritual growth and public interest in life after death.
    Dismiss Notice

spirit flying in an orb

Discussion in 'Afterlife Evidence' started by Scott, Aug 21, 2015.

1. Highlander

Highlander Member

You're quite welcome, dear Roberta. Defense is my game. After all I almost went to law school. It was only my fascination with the physics of the etheral that lead me to study electronics and the electromagnetic spectrum as they apply to the afterlife. Quantum physics rocks, as you well know.

2. katarina

katarina New Member

Highlander- I found your reply to malmac56 to be somewhat heavy handed and unfair. I agree with what Matty Moo wrote; he raised a very valid point. I don't know how to do the quote thingy, so I've copied and pasted his response in the first paragraph below:

Interesting photo, I can see something that looks like a face in the orb. All in all, as much as I'm convinced of the ethereal, I have a difficult time putting too much faith in orb pictures or video. Just too many variables can be involved, as many of us know. I used to love "so-called" spirit photography as well but when I did more research and found out how often things were faked, manipulated, etc. in the pics I lost my faith in them. In this day and age photo shop and other editing skills make it really hard for me to have any faith in spirit photos or videos, unfortunately.

I too, like malmac56, find it somewhat strange that Roberta is just accepting that this is a genuine orb without researching it first, exactly because of Matty Moo's response. I find it odd that you support Roberta's claim so blindly also. Just because she is an author, public speaker and attorney doesn't mean she is right about the orb! As far as her owning this website- does that mean that no one can disagree with her or voice their opinion? I agree that malmac56 might have been straightforward and somewhat blunt in his reply, okay, but he did raise a valid point.

Please know that I mean no disrespect towards Roberta. I think she is genuine with good intentions and I'm glad she started this forum; I've also enjoyed her website with the podcasts. However, I do think, as said, that Matty Moo and malmac56 raised very valid points and that they should be allowed to express them. It was your reply I found a bit disturbing, not malmacs (a bit blunt as it might be!).

And so, with or without your bleeding permission, I will publish what I want to, also!

Last edited: Oct 3, 2015
  3. marmaladecat

marmaladecat Member

Hi Katarina, I don't think Roberta or Highlander were telling other members what they should or should not believe. At the end of the day, this is a discussion forum and we are all just expressing our perspectives. Whether we agree a particular view is up to us as individuals. I think the concern raised in malmal56's post was that there appeared to be an implication that Roberta was less credible just because she expressed her own personal opinion on this image. I am of the view that these things can be manipulated these days with editing programs such as photoshop so I'm unable to verify that this orb is genuinely produced. However, I can't fully rule out that the orb might be of genuine origin either.

Perhaps malmac56's tone appeared heavier than intended (although only he/ she will know)? I don't find Roberta to be necessarily less credible as a researcher just because of this particular view, I just have a different opinion and that's okay on an open discussion forum. :)

4. katarina

katarina New Member

marmaladecat (nice username!)- I agree with you that this is a discussion forum and we are all just expressing an opinion. Yes! That is why I thought highlander's reply to malmac56 was heavy handed. I didn't get the impression at all that malmac56 was implicating that Roberta was less credible- he was just bringing up the point that she seemed to be accepting this orb as completely legit when she hadn't researched it at all.

Perhaps malmac56's reply was a bit blunt, as said, but highlander's reply was unnecessary and unfair because as said, this is a discussion forum. Malmac56 had a differing question/opinion which is also okay, especially as Matty Moo pointed out so well the problem with orbs.

5. janef

janef Moderator

I think this comment is quite insulting to Roberta, which set off the response by Highlander to defend her. He rarely visits this forum anymore because of this kind of crap, so there is a little history here. jmo

btw.. I think the orb looks genuine too, not saying it is... but the transparency thru the glass looks quite real to me. I have some orbs and a spirit photo I know are real, and I don't have a clue about photshopping, I can't even change the size of a photo to post on on the forum.

6. Highlander

Highlander Member

My post was intended to be somewhat humorous. I tend to look at our existence here as somewhat of a cruel cosmic joke and inject humor whenever I write. Humor helps keep me relatively sane. Looks like that was not apparent to some people. I should have used emoticons or lols and will try to remember to do so next time. It is never my intention to impugn anyones character.

Love and Peace to all...:cool:

7. I could see your post had a humorous tone, personally I don't think it was mean at all. If we don't have a sense of humor once in awhile life is too serious and bleak. And I stand by that. I have a dark sense of humor but I have to be careful who I show it to because they might be offended when I mean no offense at all. Sometimes a sense of humor(and one or two other things) literally keeps me going. I kid you not.

8. marmaladecat

marmaladecat Member

Agreed. Because I also recognised Highlander's style to often have humorous undertones, I could see there was a tongue in cheek element to his response.:)

Whilst it's important to be able to disagree with one another if we have different perspectives, I think it is also important to ensure we aren't intentionally for malicious reasons trying to undermine a member's reputation or credibility.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2015
  9. Yes, Roberta has had a lot of experience with orbs, but it is fine to disagree with her(respectfully). Well said.

10. katarina

katarina New Member

Highlander- nope, I guess 'some people' (obviously me) didn't get that your post was meant to be humorous. Didn't seem that way at all, at least not to me! I guess that's what happens when you're new on the block and not part of the regular crowd as the others rushing to your defense and agreeing with you. I do agree with you on one thing though- that our existence here is somewhat of a cruel joke. I'm with you on that one! And I've got a somewhat dark sense of humor myself- also as a coping mechanism, I think, to get through this existence of a cruel joke here!

11. marmaladecat

marmaladecat Member

Hi Katarina, I must admit at times, I am often scratching my head trying to decipher tones in postings and I do also worry how my tone is perceived by others too. Hopefully, if there are any misunderstandings, members will try and clarify their tone/ intention so that the air can be cleared quickly :)

12. I do think being here is somewhat of a cruel joke, yet part of me also feels it is just a bad fleeting dream. But I do also see humor and love, laughter and hope, as light coming through the cracks of the dark, worn tapestry of life. The light always gets in eventually, no matter how hopeless, and we will all come face to face with the light someday. And see what it was all for. We will realize that this was a temporary experience among many experiences.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2015
  13. MalMac56

MalMac56 Member

Geez guys,
    I didn't mean to offend anyone... deliberately.
    I accept the fact that Roberta has claimed to research the afterlife for many years and I'm not arguing that.
    But I find it odd that someone like Roberta, with the experience she has can come right off the bat and basically say that the Orb is real - after all IMO, most, if not all Orb photo's are fake or have some other explanation to explain them.

And to whoever it was who said I don't come here very much - you're wrong, I'm here quite regularly, I just don't post much.

Do I believe in an Afterlife - I don't know, I'd like to think that there is, I'm still sitting on the fence.
    I've never read any books on the subject either - I believe probably most authors are just out to make money.

Some people on this site take what's said here as 'gospel' and I think they should think more about things before jumping to conclusions.

I'm not here to fight, or shoot people down - I come here to read and maybe learn something new - not to ridicule anybody.

14. MalMac56

MalMac56 Member

Disregard this bit.. I read the post wrong.

15. mac

mac host

On many occasions folk have remarked that the tone of a posting can be mistaken. The emoticons can help when a tongue-in-cheek remark is made but where text alone might make it appear to be a serious comment.

I like the 'wink' emoticon to convey a sense of something not being totally serious, a bit of a leg-pull but I've heard others say that to them a 'wink' can imply sarcasm or look like a smirk. So even that isn't may be interpreted differently from the way it was intended.

Effective communication ain't necessarily easy.

16. marmaladecat

marmaladecat Member

With regards to the orb picture in the first post, I find it difficult to guage whether this is authentic or not. There is no personal history, background or explanation of the photo's origin, therefore without further clarity it could just be an image with an anomaly either naturally produced with no spiritual context, something that has been artificially produced or indeed it could be a genuine orb.

When there is more of a personal connection, where I might know the individual or trust that individual to give an authentic account, I would be more inclined to consider a spiritual connection. I have seen first hand images produced which appear to have shown some spiritual intervention ( I went on a privately organised ghost hunt). The images produced were fascinating as they were being shot as I stood there (no time for photo manipulation!).

I have also had friends show me personal photographs of light/ orbs where there was some context or history to them. Some time ago I was taking video of my children singing with a camera phone and I could see some orbs/ lights moving around them in both realtime and on the video. After the children stopped singing, the lights did subside. I personally feel that there was some type of energy forming around us although I can't completely rule out a more natural explanation either ( light sources from mirrors or shiny surfaces reflecting?).

Maybe the OP of the orb image in this thread can give us more background?

Last edited: Oct 5, 2015
  17. marmaladecat

marmaladecat Member

Emoticons are useful tools (or maybe a disclaimer at the end of posting! Lol :)) , although as mentioned even these can be sometimes taken in the wrong way on occasion! Maybe just asking for clarity, if posting tones appear ambiguous can be helpful in clearing up uncertainty. Hopefully any misunderstanding in recent posts have now been resolved. :)

18. RobertaGrimes

RobertaGrimes Administrator

No worries, dear! For a long time, I would have agreed with you; I thought orb photos couldn't have anything to do with beings not in bodies. Dust on the lens, maybe? A trick of the light? But then a couple of years back I spent some time with the Orb Whisperer at a conference (she has a website) and learned the science behind orbs; I also began to put orbs together with other bits of information about beings not in bodies. I was photographed while speaking at the aforementioned conference getting actual help from a large orb when I stumbled around at the start of my talk, but then it all kicked in - and the photo was shown to me on someone's iPhone immediately after my talk ended, with no possibility of photoshop involved. It was incredible! The orb was as large as my head, and there even was a little mouthy thing on the orb right next to my ear.

So... now I know that beings not in bodies can be photographed with iPhones, and they look like round, energy-filled, semi-transparent blobs of sometimes multi-colored spots of light of various sizes. They look very much as the orb looks that is the subject of this discussion. I tend to take orb photos uncritically now, if they look roughly like what the Orb Whisperer showed me were genuine orbs. My experience with the negativity of ignorant people who deny things things simply because of their ignorance has tended to push me in the other direction, toward positivity and general acceptance of phenomena that I have researched and know to be possible, assuming those phenomena are roughly in the range of what I already have experienced. A personal predilection, I guess!

19. bluebird

bluebird Well-Known Member

I think MalMac's point, and I agree with him, is that no one here, including Roberta, researched that particular orb in order to determine what it might be (unless you did and just didn't mention it). Instead, you said "Looks like an orb. Quacks like an orb. I am content to believe that is what it is." Well of course it's an orb, in that it's a roundish looking light effect -- but that's not proof that this particular orb is due to spirit activity. You believe that's what it is, without having first researched it (again, unless you did research the circumstances behind that specific orb but didn't mention that in the thread).

I tend to believe that most, possibly all, legitimate (meaning not faked) orbs have nothing to do with spirits, but are light effects, dust, bugs, etc. However, I may very well be wrong about that, and there may be some orbs that are spirits or evidence of spiritual activity. When I mentioned, in my first post in this thread, how easy it actually is to fake an orb photo with Photoshop or similar programs, I very specifically said that I do not know if that is what is going on with this photo, because I do not know, not having done any research on the photo myself.

I didn't see anyone say that it's impossible for some orbs to be due to spirit activity, only that it is very easy to fake orb photos, plus some orbs are just dust and the like, so one should be very careful about making a determination as to which orbs might be spirits. I did not see such careful determination taking place in this case.

20. janef

janef Moderator

The bottom line is, this is about insulting someone's opinion. Whether you think the orb is real or not, Roberta did not say it was, I didn't say it was, no one said it was,(except maybe the original poster) but no one knows for sure. All are opinions, and you should not insult someone because of their opinion. Especially when it turns out they have done more research than you give them credit for.

That should bother people more than Highlander sticking them with a bit of sarcastic drivel. :rolleyes:
    which I have found is part of his personality on any given topic anyway....
    OH... and I love it! great sarcastic humor. :p