1. Afterlife Forums is an online, interactive community designed to give seekers direct access to prominent researchers, to afterlife literature, and to one another in order to foster both spiritual growth and public interest in life after death.
    Dismiss Notice

Some sayings which I have found useful in my life

Discussion in 'Spiritual Growth & Development' started by skfarblum, Jan 12, 2017.

1. skfarblum

skfarblum Member

Why I am

There is nothing either intrinsically right or

intrinsically wrong about liberty or slavery, democracy or autocracy, freedom of action or

complete regimentation. It seems to me, however, that the greatest measure of

happiness and of well-being for the greatest number of entities, and therefore the

optimum advancement toward whatever sublime Goal it is toward which this cycle of

existence is trending in the vast and unknowable Scheme of Things, is to be obtained by securing for each and every individual the greatest amount of mental and physical

freedom compatible with the public welfare.All of us are only a small part of this

cycle; and, as goes the whole, so goes it in a greater or a lesser degree each of the parts.

Taken from E.E Doc Smith "The Lensman Series"

The diamond

What I express on earth is but an infinitesimal fraction of the individuality to which I belong. Thus there are what one could call ‘group souls,’ a single unity with facets which have spiritual relationships that incarnate at different times, at different places, for the purpose of equipping the larger soul for its work.”
    ~ taken from Silver Birch

2. mac

mac senior contributor

quote: "There is nothing either intrinsically right or intrinsically wrong about liberty or slavery"

Interesting - nothing intrinsically wrong about slavery if the greatest good for the greatest number of individuals possible is served by that - is that what's being implied or am I misunderstanding?

3. skfarblum

skfarblum Member

Hi Mac,
    I see what you mean.
    So lets see where I can go with this.If I am an enlightened sage, who due to
    unfortunate circumstances is forced into slavery I might have the ability to accept
    my slavery as the method by which the unknowable Scheme of Things wants
    me to be of service to mankind.This ability may imply that as a sage
    I am content in being a channel for this power.Within myself I am free
    but physically I am not as I am a slave and I have to do what my owner says
    or suffer the consequences.
    I do not think that Doc Smith meant freedom in this way.For him lack of
    personal choice such as occurs in totalitarian regimes may work but it is
    not an ideal we as human beings should aim for.
    His ideal appears to be a world in which people have free choice to do as
    they feel best as long as it does not impact the freedom of others.
    Whether we as human beings will ever reach such a stage.
    one can only have hope.
    Thank you for posting this question of yours.I enjoyed trying to think
    through it.I am afraid rather poorly but I hope I managed to put over my ideas.
    I realize that it is always important to query
    such statements as Doc Smith's and my own opinions and thoughts.
    Out of interest how would you answer your query?
    So much depends on language and personal attitudes.
    Regards
    Stephen