1. Afterlife Forums is an online, interactive community designed to give seekers direct access to prominent researchers, to afterlife literature, and to one another in order to foster both spiritual growth and public interest in life after death.

Some questions that came to mind

Discussion in 'General Afterlife Discussions' started by Wieloryb, Jan 2, 2018.

1. Wieloryb

Wieloryb New Member

Hello everyone,

I have some questions that came to mind about the after life.

I will first tell a little about myself, as I've just signed up here :), after lurking on these forums for a while.
    I've always had some interest in the after life, especially after reading the book Endless consciousness by Pim van Lommel and hearing an interesting story from a colleague of mine. She told me about her near death experience, how she 'floated' above the medical staff resuscitating her. After that, she appeared to have gained 'psychic' abilities (if that's the correct word). She was able to communicate in a kind of telepathic way with elderly patients who were close to dying or in the last stages of dementia (she worked as a doctor in a home for the elderly). She said she was able to help them 'let go' of this life and die peacefully, by communicating with them in this way and addressing things they still struggled with. She was also able to communicate telepathically with her pet cat and dog. She told me that because of her experience, she has no doubt that we will live on after our physical deaths.
    During my internships when I was a medical student, I had an elderly couple, who had both been very ill and had almost died, tell me they 'both saw something when they were close to dying'. Unfortunately at that time I didn't ask any further.
    I've also read Moody's Life after life, which was available in the library of a hospice I used to volunteer. I really enjoyed reading this book. I never saw or experienced any 'paranormal things' myself unfortunately during my volunteering there.

I still have my doubts however about the existence of an after life, even though the above experiences and reading the stories on this forum give me hope.
    During my studies I was confronted with a lot of scientific information with a 'materialistic point of view', like the book We are our brains from Swaab and neurology textbooks and such. It's generally accepted/considered a fact in my circles that we indeed are merely our brains and nothing more. I also read some articles that explained NDEs as a reaction of the dying brain. I also never experienced 'something out of the ordinary' myself, even though I would love to.
    Because to me it's very well possible it does not really exist and that these kind of experiences are caused by chemical reactions of the brain, I'm quite afraid of death and especially of the eventual deaths of my loved ones. I have a hard time coping with the thought of people I love being gone forever at some point and I hope very much the after life is real. I'm however afraid believing in an after life would be only wishful thinking.
    Still, it sometimes really annoys me that mainstream science reduces all beautiful things and feelings in life, like love and intense happiness, to just chemical reactions... It would make life seem rather 'empty'/'meaningless' for me, if for example the intense love you feel for your partner, is nothing more than a chemical reaction with the only purpose being procreation and passing on genes. I hope you understand what I mean, I find it a bit difficult to explain.

I plan on buying some books to further study the subject of the after life. My first question to you is, what books about evidence of the after life would you recommend?

I read on these forums about consciousness 'creating' the world we live in. I find this idea hard to grasp. Could someone explain this to me a little further? Also, if consciousness creates matter, how come I can't just 'create a new sofa with my mind/consciousness' when I want one? I still have to go to the store to buy one :p
    Also, how come everyone's consciousness creates the same matter? If there's a laptop on the table, both my boyfriend an I will see this laptop, and when we start it up we will see the same programs and applications. And at the furniture store, every person will see the same sofa, so everyone's consciousness creates the same model of the sofa?

My third question is, what are your thoughts on evolution and consciousness? Did consciousness 'direct' evolution? Because it is said to create matter/this world? If so, why did 'horrible' life forms come to existence, like parasites that cause their host to die a slow, painful death? Like parasites that eat their host alive from the inside..it seems really cruel to me and I can't imagine why anyone or a loving higher power would create something like that.

At what point did life on earth become conscious? Is all life on earth conscious? Even simple life forms like bacteria, which lack a nervous system? If not all life forms are conscious, why are some conscious and why aren't others?

I also read we are hear to learn spiritually, for example from the death of a beloved family member. Does the same apply to animals? For example, if a wildebeest calf gets killed by a lion, is there a 'higher' purpose of this, other than survival of the lion? Is there anything to be learned from it by the other wildebeest?

Why are many of the signs we receive from the dead so subtle? Why do many people not receive signs at all from their deceased loved ones, or only such subtle signs that they go unnoticed? Why don't they just appear to us to show us life goes on? As far as I know, I've never received a sign of my deceased grandparents unfortunately.

What I've read somewhere is that we aren't supposed to know the full truth about life after death. I read the NDE story of someone, and the lady said she was given all the knowledge she wished for while she was experiencing her NDE. She had access to all knowledge there is, like how the universe came to existence. But as she had to return to her physical body, she was told she had to forget all this knowledge.
    I read that Mikey tells Carol on this forum many details about the after life and the origins and purpose of life. To me, this seems to contradict what the lady wrote about her NDE. Was it something about her that she was not allowed to remember all the knowledge and tell others about it, whereas Mikey and others are allowed to tell others? What could be the reason this lady had to forget the knowledge? Couldn't she have helped others with the knowledge, just as Mikey helps people on these forums?
    This brings me to the question: are we, as humans, even supposed to find out the full truth or should the after life always remain more or less a mystery to us during our earthly lives? Are some people supposed to find out the truth, whereas others are not?

If we can see, hear and think without our physical bodies, why was there even a need for complex organs like eyes and ears to develop?

Finally, there was an experience during my internships in the hospital that really made me doubt the 'realness' of paranormal experiences. There was an elderly man who was diagnosed with a so called 'delirium' and he told me he saw and heard his daughter in his room that night. It seemed very real to him he told me, as if she was really there with him. His daughter however, was alive and at her own home that night. So he did not really see her that night, even though he experienced her as 'real'. My supervisor told me the brain creates these kind of hallucinations when someone has a delirium. Maybe other paranormal experiences are the same thing, I started to wonder? (I surely hope not..) What are your thoughts on this?

I understand my questions may be hard to answer and that I've asked a lot of questions. I would however love to hear your thoughts!

Thanks a lot in advance!

2. mac

mac senior member Staff Member

welcome to ALF - Yes you have asked a lot of questions! :)

Your questions are not hard to answer - some will already have been addressed here - but many of them would individually need a long session of typing to cover the many aspects they embrace.

My preference is for 'baby steps' - choose one issue and later move on to another. Otherwise you may find the subjects become a huge jumble of ideas that leaves you little further forward than when you started.

3. Ted'sRed

Ted'sRed Member

Hardball, thank you for your helpful and respectful responses. I like your style.

4. mac

welcome back :)

5. bluebird

bluebird Well-Known Member

Wieloryb,

First, please realize that anything anyone says to you here in response to your post, including what I say, is a matter of opinion. Read the answers you receive, but don't accept any of it as "gospel" (for lack of a better word) -- instead, take only what feels right and true to you.

There is no doubt that while we are here on earth, existing in our bodies, our lives are experienced and mediated by our brains. That doesn't necessarily mean that our brains are all we are, of course. I don't know if we are more or not, if we are souls that exist independently of our brains & bodies or not, but I do think that's at least a possibility. It sounds to me as though you have personally known some people (in particular, the colleague you mentioned, who had an NDE) who believe that their experiences have shown them that there is an afterlife. If you feel those people are truthful and perceptive, then I think there's nothing wrong with you giving weight to the experiences they relayed to you.

I certainly have doubts about the existence of an afterlife, myself. I fervently hope it does exist, but I don't know if it does, and I have not seen/heard/read anything that to me constitutes proof. Perhaps we have souls that continue to exist in an afterlife where we are reunited with our dead loved ones; perhaps as you said there is no afterlife and the people we love are gone forever. I hope the first is true. So I try to keep an open mind on this issue. Unless/until one comes across something that is sufficient to prove the existence of an afterlife, I believe that is the best one can do. It's definitely the best I can do.

I do not hold the believe that consciousness creates the world in which we live. This world is real and does exist, on its own (possibly limited) terms. That doesn't negate the possible existence of an afterlife, or even of a broader living existence or other dimensions, but in my opinion it is silly to assert that this world isn't real. It may be real only in certain ways, but it is real. You can't wish a sofa into existence, nor out of it. And, as with your laptop example, things simply are what they are, at least while they are perceived by our limited human consciousness and senses. These real things of the world may be temporary and limited, but within this construct in which we currently exist, within these parameters, they are real.

Now, as far as evolution and consciousness, I really don't know. If by "consciousness" you mean human consciousness, then no, we didn't direct evolution, which is a natural process. If by "consciousness" you actually mean "god", then in my opinion the answer is still no, as I don't believe there is a god. If I am wrong on that point, however, then I think it is possible that god set evolution in motion. As for horrible life forms such as parasites that cause hosts to die a slow and painful death -- they evolved in order to fill a niche in the natural world. It sucks that their lives cause pain and death to others, but it is not willful cruelty on the part of the parasites, it is just existence, subsistence. I wish they had not evolved to exist, but if there were no place for them, no useful purpose, they would die off. That's assuming there is no god, of course. If there is a god, I have no idea why it would have created that need and then created that creature to fill it, but then if there is a god my opinion of that god is extremely, extremely low.

I don't know if all life on earth is conscious. My guess would be that all life forms hold at least a very primitive form of consciousness, but I don't know where the dividing line is between that and what we would generally consider to be "real" consciousness. I believe that cats and dogs have consciousness beyond that very primitive type, as well as rats and hamsters and snakes. I'm not sure about insects. I don't think there's really a way to pinpoint that line, if there is one.

I do not believe that we are here to learn spiritually from the deaths of beloved family members. I think it's possible, even probable, that we are here (at least in part) to learn, and perhaps some people do learn spiritually from the deaths of loved ones, but I do not in any way believe that everyone chooses to come here to do that. Assuming there is an afterlife, and by extension of that thought/belief a "beforelife" (which I would assume is the same place, if it exists at all, a place where we are both before and after this earthly life, a "heaven", if you will), I do not believe that we choose the horrible things that happen to us. Maybe some people do, some of the time, I don't know....but I do know that I would never, ever have chosen to have my husband die when he did. There is simply no fucking way I would have done that to us, no way I would ever have chosen that or agreed to it, nor would my husband ever have done so. His death has destroyed my life, and since the moment I met him I knew that that's what would happen if he died before me. I did not choose this. My emphasis and emphatic delivery here is not meant as an attack on what you posted; it is meant to relay how strongly I feel on this matter, regarding my husband's life and my own, and our choices. Beyond that, however, I don't believe that people who have been horribly and senselessly murdered in the world's various holocausts chose to die that way either (especially the children), I don't believe that people born with horrific diseases and birth defects chose to be born that way; I don't believe that people born severely schizophrenic or sociopathic chose to be born that way. In general, that is....there may be some individuals who chose those lives, though I don't understand why they would, but on the whole, no. Those things happened to them due to bad genetics, or through the free will actions of horrible despots, etc. Regarding a wildebeest calf being killed by a lion -- it's sad for the calf, sad for its mother, sad for any human that witnesses it, but it is at least just the circle of life (pardon my using this overused phrase). There is no ill will on the part of the lion, merely a desire to eat and to continue to live. Much more understandable goal than those of the human despots.

(I will continue in a second post, as the site wouldn't allow me to put it all in one post.)

kim marine likes this.
  6. bluebird

(continued below)

You asked why many of the signs we receive from the dead are so subtle, and why some people don't receive signs at all. I do not know the answers to those questions. I don't know why they don't just appear to us to show us that the afterlife exists. I can think of a couple of possibilities. Perhaps there is no afterlife -- they can't send us signs if they have ceased to exist. Perhaps there is an afterlife but it is extremely difficult for them to communicate with us due to how different their way of existing may be from ours. Perhaps there is an afterlife and a god, and that god does not allow them to communicate with us (why that would be, I can't be sure, but as I said I have a very low opinion of god if there is such a being). Perhaps they do send signs but many/most people aren't very good at seeing them. I worry very much that the first possibility is the case, though I hope it is not. My husband died 5 years ago, and I have had things happen that may very well be signs from him; I would never say that they aren't, but I must say that I just don't know, I am not sure. In my opinion, if there is an afterlife, it should be much easier for our dead loved ones to communicate with us; that would bring so much peace to so many people. I don't need to know the "full truth" of life after death, but I do need to know that my beloved soulmate still exists, that he is still himself, that he is happy, and that he & I will be together again. Without at least that, my life is quite literally pointless.

If the afterlife is real, maybe people aren't supposed to know the full truth of life after death if they come back from their NDEs, though I don't know why god or the universe or whatever would want it that way. But if that is how it is, that would still allow the woman you read about to have received all the knowledge she desired, as long as she did forget it before she came back to her body. I haven't read most of Mikey and Carol's story, but I know the gist of what happened with them. Assuming there is an afterlife in which Mikey exists, and assuming that he did communicate with Carol (I do believe that Carol believes he did, at least), the fact remains that even if that is the case, he is still only one soul who now exists in the afterlife. He is not all-knowing, he can only relay his experience as he views it, and if there is a god then perhaps that god doesn't allow him to tell Carol everything, or perhaps Mikey chooses not to, or perhaps the nature of his existence now vs. Carol's existence in this earthly life prevents him from relaying certain things.

You asked "....are we, as humans, even supposed to find out the full truth or should the after life always remain more or less a mystery to us during our earthly lives? Are some people supposed to find out the truth, whereas others are not?" I don't think anyone can really answer that, because I don't think any living person can really know the answer to those questions. I would guess that there are probably some things we aren't mean to know while we're here, but that's just my opinion.

While on this planet, in these earthly forms, we don't see, hear, or think without our physical bodies. If there's an afterlife, then I suppose we can do those things without our bodies, but we won't really know that until we get there.

Regarding the elderly man with dementia who felt he saw and heard his daughter in his room, when in fact she was alive and in her own home at the time, I have a couple of hypotheses. First, it may just have been his feeling the need to see and hear his daughter that caused a hallucination, but if it brought him comfort then I say so what? Second, there have been reported incidences of people seeing living loved ones in places where they couldn't possibly be, which might be put down to astral projection (I'm not asserting that astral projection definitively exists, just presenting it as one possibility). Either way, one experience of one man can neither prove nor disprove all supernatural/paranormal experiences.

Well, you asked a lot of questions, so I hope you don't mind the length of my many answers, lol! And welcome to the forum.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2018
  7. Wieloryb

Wieloryb New Member

Hi everyone, thank you for all the replies! I'll read them all as soon as I get home from work!

8. Bill Z

Bill Z Active Member

HI Wieloryb and welcome. I hope the posts here help you in your search.

I can only speak from personal experience. Through mediums I have been in contact with the love of my life who transitioned this summer. The mediums relayed information to me that only She and I knew. First names were even mentioned on a few occasions. I continue to learn and study how to receive Her communications.

I think the reason some people do and other people don't seem to have success with ALC is because of beliefs and this is IMO a skill that needs to be practiced and developed, from both sides. Over time my Angel has gone from merely sending me signs that She is ok to actual two way communication through the mediums, dreams, dowsing and meditation.

You mention how modern science plays down Love considering it merely a chemical reaction. The deep love my Angel and I experienced is what has maintained our bond after She is no longer here physically.

You asked about books and I'd suggest:
    Hello from Heaven, Bill Guggienheim
    Afterlife Communication: 16 Proven Methods, 85 True Accounts; Hogan Ph.D., R. Craig
    Craig Hogan has a very powerful free onling course in guided ALC

Thee are many books on meeting our spirit guides and loved ones:
    Ask Your Guides: Sonia Choquette

I feel Her near me every day or when I need Her. That said I grief every day and probably will continue to. I'm only human and She has transcended this realm and this is something I still can not comprehend.
    I hope this was helpful.
    Peace.

Amore likes this.
  9. mac

Last edited: Jan 4, 2018
  10. RobertaGrimes

RobertaGrimes Administrator

... and she often shows up here as well! Wieloryb, I don't have the time to also answer your questions here, and others have done it very well, but if you would like a copy of The Fun of Dying, I'll be happy to give it to you - just email me!

lovehim likes this.
  11. lovehim

lovehim Member

It was quite a good read and I recommended it to a lot of people I know who have lost someone!

12. kim marine

kim marine Active Member

I really like that bluebird!:)

13. Wieloryb

Wieloryb New Member

Hi everyone,

Thanks so much for all your replies and your time to answer my quite long post, they are really helpful! Mac, thanks for the advice of taking 'baby steps'. I guess that would be a good way to do my research, as indeed it would be probably 'too much' for me to try to find the answers to all questions at once.

Hardball, thank you too for the extensive answering of my questions! Have you had any experiences yourself? You seem to know a lot about the subject!

Blue bird, I sympathize with a lot of what you wrote. Also, I'm very sorry about the passing of your husband, I hope you'll be fine and I hope you find the proof and reassurance you are looking for. Losing my SO is one of my biggest fears and I can't even imagine how hard it must be for you.
    Thank you very much for your extensive reply as well, I agree with a lot of what you wrote. I saw a client today, she had metastasized cancer and had only months to live. She was only 31 years old and had two young kids. The idea that she has chosen this terrible fate herself, is really hard for me to accept. I think her illness will mainly cause intense pain and sadness to herself and her family.

Bill, your story is very reassuring. I wish you all the best with coping with this incredible loss and I hope the communications with your love help you pull through! Thanks a lot for the book tip!

Thank you too, Roberta, I'll send you an email! I'd love to read it!

14. bluebird

Thank you. :)

15. Wieloryb

Wieloryb New Member

Roberta, I hope you received my message via the contact form on your website!

16. mac

You might also want to try Roberta's direct email address..... rgrimes@ robertagrimes.com

17. pandora97

pandora97 Active Member

LOL! This is a joke right:confused:

18. kim marine

kim marine Active Member

Hardball said: If I approach an individual and they offer me their opinion, I pass

I agree with Hardball. You should never agree with someone's opinion unless it resonates within your conscience.

Amore likes this.
  19. Bill Z

Bill Z Active Member

Thank you Wieloryb

20. mac

You might be interested in the material here: http://afterlifeforums.com/resources/

See if anything appeals. :)

21. Amore

Amore Active Member

Here's my 2c from what I read and my own experience, Wieloryb.

There seem to be various reasons why we don't receive signs from the "dead" or why they are too subtle to be noticed.

From what I understand, making contact with those incarnate on earth is not an easy thing to do for a spirit. It has to do with our energy vibration being much lower than theirs, they have to kind of "come down" to our level to be able to impact on the physical world in some way (producing sound, moving objects, etc). Not every spirit wants to learn it or is able to learn it. Clairvoyants, mediums, psychics seem to have some sort of "antenna" (for lack of a better word) that reaches out to those in spirit, making it easier for them to connect. But most people on earth don't have this capacity, or at least they have not developed it.

Another very important reason is that we are not very good receivers of communication sent by spirits. Most of us are too focused on our rational intellect which is a tool for dealing with the material world in a logical and effective way. Spirits however, seem to find it easier to communicate with us through the heart, which is our soul's door to intuition and feelings. From what I have read, the strongest connection you (and anyone) can have to anyone else is love. If you have a deep bond rooted in love to someone who has passed over it will be much more easy for them to make their presence known to you via this route. You might sense them around you, or you might get images in your waking mind or in your sleep via dreams. The heart, love is like an open door, the intellect is not.

Another obstacle for receiving signs or simply noticing a spirit around you is strong negative emotions, such as anger, bitterness, fear, and strong grief. I'm reminded of a story I read where a sensitive person was at a funeral for a young woman. Her grieving boyfriend stepped up to her coffin and was overcome with grief and tears. This person saw the deceased woman coming up to him and wrapping not only her arms but her whole energy/being around him like a blanket with so much love and compassion - but he was completely oblivious to her presence.

There might be more reasons that others here can think of or remember reading about but I hope this already helps in some way!

kim marine likes this.
  22. mac

nice summary :)

23. RobertaGrimes

Thank you, Lovehim!

24. RobertaGrimes

Received and responded!!

25. kim marine

kim marine Active Member

Roberta, If the Spirit is invisible and Christians are taught to believe that this reality is a visible and a physical reality that god created aren't they defying the core of their beliefs: one being that god NEVER changes? Haven't they been more influenced by what secular science and their "sinful" physical senses have had to say about this reality instead of Spirits'? If god was going to create a reality wouldn't he create one type instead of two different kinds of reality?

26. kim marine

kim marine Active Member

27. RobertaGrimes

God is eternal and indeed never changes, but humankind has until recently been unable even to begin to comprehend the genuine God, so over the millennia we have invented various Gods in our image and insisted that each is the genuine God. The Christian concept of God is yet another of these false, human-created concepts of God. One of the reasons why Jesus came to earth 2000 years ago was to finally begin to teach us the truth about God ("God is Spirit"), but sadly Christianity ignored His teachings and its God is based in first-century Judaism and that religion's false Jehovah-God with "the Holy Spirit" as kind of an add-on. And please understand, dear Kim, that it is impossible for us to even begin to comprehend the genuine God, any more than an ant on your kitchen counter can possibly understand your life! God can create infinite kinds of realities, and for reasons that we cannot from our limited perspective and with our limited minds even imagine!

kim marine and Amore like this.
  28. Wieloryb

Wieloryb New Member

Thank you all for your wonderful replies and the links you posted Kim and Mac! Amore, thanks for sharing your ideas and experience too, I really enjoyed reading it. The story about the grieving boyfriend is beautiful and very uplifting to me.
    Roberta, thank you very much as well again for your email!!

29. kim marine

kim marine Active Member

Your very welcome, Wieloryb!

30. Bill Z

Bill Z Active Member

Thank you everyone for this forum. It has gotten me through some dark days and I have learned a lot.

I think it's important to say this: I keep getting the same message. I actually felt my Angel's presence this afternoon when I was looking on the web, guiding me to a site. Later I got the same message twice, by clicking on something totally unrelated and getting the same message. They, the transitioned ones are beyond us and some things they can not convey to us. Shortly after Susie transitioned She came to me and said "I am no longer human, there are things I know that you can not understand right now", that's a paraphrase. And it was conveyed with total Love.
    I agree with everything Amore said but we can learn to be better receivers. And they can learn to communicate better. We are all still leaning and that's the beauty of live that never ends.
    Peace.

Unexpected, kim marine and Amore like this.