1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Afterlife Forums is an online, interactive community designed to give seekers direct access to prominent researchers, to afterlife literature, and to one another in order to foster both spiritual growth and public interest in life after death.

Small creatures as signs

Discussion in 'After-Death Communication' started by OrichalcumEye, Aug 30, 2011.

1. I can understand the belief that your dead loved ones are sending messages to you from the next world. I can live with that idea. What I don't understand is how someone can convince himself that the activity of birds or butterflies or other natural phenomena can be taken as a sign from beyond. Seriously, now: small creatures are going to be around no matter what. They have an existence totally separate from humans, and they seem to live and propagate themselves just fine without having to resort to spiritual prompting as an explanation. So what is supposed to be the significance of these creatures? How exactly would they be influenced by a departed loved one, and why couldn't they just deliver whatever message they have directly to the recipient?

2. RobertaGrimes

RobertaGrimes Administrator

Dear OrichalcumEye, your skepticism about this is perfectly reasonable! I wouldn't take the use by the dead of birds and butterflies in their communications at all seriously, except that the evidence is overwhelming that this is what happens. Many of the dead have told their loved ones that they sent this or that bird or butterfly, and advanced channeled beings have said that this is a common communication technique. As for why the dead don't just deliver their messages directly, I think you already know the answer to that, dear friend: they can't. Communication between their level and ours is unbelievably difficult, so apparently over many generations dead people have learned that they can influence the minds of small creatures, birds, and butterflies, and they can make them do unusual things that are likely to be noticed by living loved ones. Of course, not every sighting of a bird or a butterfly is for sure going to be your much-lamented dead Uncle Ted! Here are some common-sense points to be made:

1) A single incident should not be seen as a likely communication unless it is spectacular. One reported incident involved the death of a teacher during the school year. When her class reconvened with a substitute, into the room flitted a yellow butterfly. The butterfly proceeded to hover over or land on each child's head briefly, and once they all had been blessed it fluttered out again. That was a communication!

2) Birds or butterflies appearing out of place or out of season must be noted. There was a case of a woman who wintered in Florida, whose husband (I think it was) had died and been buried in New York (if I recall correctly) during the winter. She drove to the cemetery to visit his grave a few times before she returned to their Florida home alone, and each time as she neared the grave she would find a white crane standing in the road nearby. It looked like the cranes that she and her husband had loved to watch in Florida, but it had no business being where it was.

3) Repeated strange incidents with birds or butterflies also should be noted. One young girl grieving the loss of her mother told me that frequently as she was being driven in the months after the death, birds would swoop down in front of the windshield of her car and barely miss striking it.

4) Even a lot of something that seems normal may in fact be significant. One woman reports that soon after she was widowed, her garden filled with butterflies. They were there for several days - hundreds of them! - but then they went away and they never returned.

5) Communicators generally choose one kind of bird or butterfly exclusively. So, for example, if you see a robin this morning getting kind of close to you and then in the afternoon a bluejay lands on your head, that is far less likely to be a communication than it would be if you went through a day in which you kept seeing bluejays until finally one of them actually landed on your head.

- As for why our loved ones choose to communicate this way, the answer seems to be that they are able to do it fairly easily, even soon after they graduate. Our eternal minds are powerful! I imagine more-experienced guides kind of teaching a newbie how to manipulate a butterfly, much as a kindly older brother might teach a baby how to control a video game. Yes, dear OrichalcumEye, birds and butterflies do have their own lives, separate from ours! But they don't seem to mind that once in awhile we ask them to help us bridge the gap between realities.

3. Thank you for clearing this up Roberta! I was wondering the same thing!!! Now this makes sense. We should be looking for the unusual. I can't express how lucky I am to have found these forums! I don't even have to ask a question because everything is being answered! Thank you!

4. Carol and Mikey

Carol and Mikey Golden Hearts

It is the unusual behavior of these creatures that really makes the difference! Right after Mikey's accident, I recieved a gift of the dragonfly story. This story signifies the transformation from this life into Heaven. Anyway, soon after his funeral, I went back out to the cemetary and raised my arms in the air asking my son out loud to help me! Please let me know you are still with me! Within 30 seconds I had at least 15 dragonflies circling around me! I tingled all over! It was the timing! And this is very unusual! I knew it was my son! We have had tons of dragonfly signs! Now I always wear a dragonfly as it symbolizes our relationship we now have. (Between earth and Heaven)
    We were just at a wedding of one of Mikey's close friends this past week-end. When we were outside a dragonfly landed on Mikey's dad's hand, then it flew over to me and landed on my hand, then back to my husband's hand, then back to my hand!! This occurred at least 4 times in a row! Everyone around us started to talk and take pictures as they know this is a "Mikey sign" ! Of course Mikey was at his friend's wedding! It is this type of thing that is amazing to me. I cannot tell you the hope these signs have given to many of us after my son's accident! It is the real deal! The more open you are, the more you will see. Nothing is a coincidence!
    Carol and Mikey "in Spirit"

5. Andrew

Andrew Guest

Wow, what an amazing story, dear Carol! I've never experienced anything like that, but I know what you mean - it's the timing and the unusual behavior of the animal that really confirm it's a message. It is really so wonderful that you are open enough to have such wonderful communications with your son!

6. Oh wow, your story about your son and the dragonflies gave me tears and goosebumps! That is beautiful!!!

7. Carol and Mikey, I love your dragonfly story. I have had amazing dragonfly situations and posted one of them on one of these blogs I would love you to read but it is only my second post and I dont no where I posted it.. lol,,
    I lost my fifteen year old son and I am sure he comes to us using the dragonfly.. one day when i am up to it, i will post some more of my dragonfly encounters . They are so believeable that atleast five people have gotten dragonfly tats....I will figure out where I posted it because your encounted gave me warmth...then ill post a link if i can find my way back here.. lol,

here you go, I found it,, it is a long post in this section.'''''''' Is there anyway to encourage communication from our loved ones?

Last edited: Sep 10, 2011
  8. Carol and Mikey

Carol and Mikey Golden Hearts

Caseysmom,
    I commented on your story in the other thread. So Love the dragonfly story! I know they have the ability to make these small creatures do awesome things! It is so great and these type of signs have saved me for sure! They give me strength and hope knowing our loved ones are close and they truly try to help us! Remember you are not alone on your grief journey. I just do the best that I can knowing one day I will see my son again! In the mean time, I know I still have work to do in this life. I truly take one day at a time.
    I plan on getting a dragonfly tatoo also! Needs to have green on it. :)

9. Wow Carol was your first dragonfly green too? I want a tat of my son,if my husbands turns out nice,if not then a dragonfly. I have cronic fatigue, felt I needed to bring him home with me so I had him cramated after his wake.. I donated some of his body, i hope he wont be reborn without those parts.I wand to point out something you may want to do when you get your tattoo. Some will mix some of his ashes into the ink. If you like this idea and your have something like his hair or a peice of his shirt, you only need a tiny bit, For me it will make me feel closer to him. Another thing we have done is use his shirt on a pillow which when we need we hug it and cry into it or just hold it and go to sleep. Thank you so much for your kind words to me. I love your dragonfly story and have shared it.. Ty for sharing it with us.

10. I understand what you mean and once carried the same feelings. I now know differently and have had many dragonfly situations of unsual behavior since my sons passing. Last month over my acre of land at our house my husbad excitedly called me outside, come now, stop what ever u r doing. i went out to witness the most amazing things, hundreds if not a thousand dragonflies, from one lot line to the other, looked down both directions of my block there was none., A road runs in front of my front door ending at my house down that road they was swarming to my home and block we live on goes left to right. We have a canal behind out home, none there.. a teenager was walking by, i asked did you see any dragonflys while you was walking he said no,, ohhhhhhhh my gosh they are only at your house, they must be mating or something ,he said, i wonder why they picked your house.. We took photos but only some showed up most did not and we took two vidios, of them and when we went inside to put the videos on the computor, nothing, no vidio at all,we never had a vieo not record. I believe it was my son showing me look mommy I have so many friends here and we are having so much fun. They stayed a long time, we finally went inside while they was still there, went back out, they was all gone. i looked up dragonfly swams and learned that there are sitings of them in swams but not very often at all.

11. Annie

Annie Member

Oh my gosh, that is so cool about the dragonflies! Too bad the pictures didn't turn out but maybe Casey interfered with it so that only you and your family would see. :) That is amazing. Thanks for sharing that with us and I think you mentioned you've also been finding coins which is another sign from the afterlife. Casey is definitely watching over you!

12. I love hearing that he is watchig over us, Thank you Annie

13. RobertaGrimes

This is one of the most spectacular instances of small-creatures communications that I have ever read! "You weren't sure about all those earlier dragonflies, Mom? Okay then, I'll give you dragonflies!" Just on your lot, and by the hundreds! The fact that the swarm didn't photograph is interesting to me, since it suggests what I have occasionally suspected: that these small-animal events might sometimes be mind-created and not objectively material. That doesn't matter, since of course they are no less real - maybe they are even more real! - if it is the mind of our dead loved one that makes us see them, rather than the mind of our loved one that tricks the small creatures into behaving in certain ways. How wonderful, dear Caseysmom!

After butterflies, I think that dragonflies are the most common small-creatures sign. I'm not sure why this should be, other than the fact that dragonflies are rare and we tend to notice them. I don't think that our wonderful Caseysmom would have been quite so thrilled if Casey had sent her a yard filled with mosquitoes ;-)!

14. Roberta, Your last line made me laugh outloud..
    i was sure about the other visits after he landed on me five times then shook his head up and down which i had no idea they could do, yes yes yes, when i asked Casey is that you and are you trying to tell me something, however as time passed i would wonder if I was sure only because I wanted to beleive it or if I was sure because I new deep in my heart that it surely was him.. now as times passes I am still sure deep in my heart that Casey has come to me and many others, i just need to learn not to worry about other people if they believe me or not that the one person that matters is my own belief in this area. Like I am still uncomfortable saying a sentence like Casey landed on my leg, referring to the dragonfly as Casey.. I do use these words with my husband but am basically a insucure person and worry to much about what others think in my regular conversations, so this might be something i will over come but it also may be something I will not learn to change, either way, I think the most important thing is that Casey knows that I no he is visiting with us. I wouldnt want him to give me all these signs to see I dont even no it is him.. I am proud of him, very proud.. Thanks again.
    I have to look at the photos on the computor.. Oh our phone you can not see many at all.. Maybe on the computor you can see more but I no just from the photos on my phone no way even a tenth of them could be seen if i only see a few on the phone. My husband put his on the computor. I have to see if he can put mine on my computor.
    And thank you for making me laugh..

15. Roberta,
    I never heard of a figment of a imaginationt that more then one person could see,. a atleast five people seen them all together, lol, beleive me I asked others cause i had to be sure we didnt completely flip lmao.. so I was wondering could all of us see something that was mind created. wouldnt only one of us seeing it then because it would of had to be created in all of our minds.. I am sorry if there is a simple answer to this, i am new to so many of these terms i have read........ and am very thankful for your replys. Maybe you are saying that Casey created the image in all our minds.. thats pretty cool..

Last edited: Sep 11, 2011
  16. Annie

Annie Member

Ha, that made me laugh about the mosquitoes too.

Caseysmom, sometimes when I take a picture of something, it never looks as good on camera as it does in real life. Plus, I'm sure those dragonflies moved fast so maybe it was hard to capture them?

17. Ty Annie for your comment and yes it could be either of those, how ever they was everywhere in layers so I figured alot more would of come out. And it wasnt that the vidio didnt come out,, there was no video file on hubbys cell phone at all.. in other words u can take a video and it come out black or all white but this didnt show a file at all. i guess we could of been to excited that we didnt use the phone video right. It was just so amazing that i wanted to share it.
    I was wondering what Roberta was talking about.. if she realized atleast five of us seen them, or if she means that a figment of the imagination can be seen by many..
    My husband will be away till friday, so ill see if i can figure out how to work this phone. i use to be able to upload photos to facebook from my phone and something is messed up cause i have not been able to do that.. hope he can fix it..
    I am still so amazed at how friendly you all are..

18. RobertaGrimes

Dear Caseysmom, I think the reason that everyone here is so friendly is that the news is all good! We enjoy sharing it and helping people who have lost loved ones, and what I enjoy most of all is watching people who were bereft or depressed or skeptical or fearful becoming happily seasoned counselors for later arrivals here. We are all having so much fun ;-)!

Now, to try to answer your question. Making small animals, birds, and butterflies act strangely may be the most common type of communication from the dead. It is right up there with leaving coins that carry significant dates and producing familiar scents on the air. We don't know why these (and some other) kinds of communication are used so often, and sometimes can occur within days after a death, when our loved ones are still afterlife rookies... but I have a hunch that these methods were developed by more advanced minds in the afterlife levels long ago, and they have perfected them to the point that even newbies there can easily learn how to use them. We have no idea how these processes work! All we know is that such signs are so common as to be almost universal.

And among the common signs of survival that our loved ones give us, small-creatures signs occupy a unique place. Our loved ones apparently make living beings behave strangely! I can think of three possible ways that they might do that:

1) These creatures could be mind-created illusions. Perhaps there is no hijacked living creature, after all! The fact that multiple people saw all those dragonflies doesn't rule out this possibility, but it does make it less likely. In fact, I consider this to be the least likely possible explanation anyway.

2) The creatures could be a form of apport. An apport is a material object that is delivered to us from the afterlife levels, so it literally just appears on this level. Sometimes it seems to drop out of thin air! Coins, which are another common sign from our dead loved ones, probably come as apports. I have a hunch that apports are a lot more common than we realize! It is my understanding that they generally don't go in reverse - an object which materializes doesn't later disappear - but I don't know that for certain. I do wonder, though, whether an apported bird or insect then could go on and live a normal life...? Arguing in favor of the notion that these creatures are apports is the fact that sometimes they appear dramatically out of place or out of season, or - as with those dragonflies - in unlikely numbers. And they often act quite abnormally. I don't consider this to be the leading candidate as an explanation, but it certainly is possible.

3) Our loved one's mind might temporarily hijack the mind or control-system of the creature being used. Don't think of your loved one as actually becoming that single dragonfly, or even that whole cloud of dragonflies. After all, your loved one never was actually in his physical body, either! Rather, he connected with the brain of that body as his avatar during his time on earth, and in just the same way the dead might have perfected a way to impose our loved one's consciousness on the much simpler mind or control system of the small creature being used. Someone here (you, Caseysmom?) talked about asking a dragonfly hanging suspended before her whether it was her son, and having that creature nod. Sure sounds like a mind-connection from a dead loved one to me!

- I haven't read any theories of what actually is going on. It is my current hunch that some of these small-animal signs involve the temporary hijacking of a creature's mind or control system, while others - those of Florida cranes in a New York cemetery in January, or a butterfly of no identifiable local species, or a whole cloud of dragonflies hanging inexplicably over one houselot - may well be apported and then mind-controlled once they get here. This is one of the many things that it is going to be interesting to investigate once we finally get to the Summerland!

19. Dear Roberta thank you so much for taking the time to explain all that to me,, All I can think is WOW,, it is very interesting. Oh my gosh today is Tuesday and I forgot to listen to the talk show.. Ill have to look for it later and listen to it recorded
    Back to the topic.. I really enjoyed hearing about those three possilibities. I have kept asking myself till that day,, is Casey lonely......... I wondered if he was trying to show us he is in no way lonely.. I said to my husband do u think maybe Casey is coming here to show us he has more friends then we could imagine, or if he was showing them where he lived on earth. Bob said in our fenced in back yard where Casey died there was only a few back there.. One thing that holds me sane is one day, I kept finding myself thinking, I wish I could just look into a window,( which I have a memory of seeing him threw a window playing with a little baby boy but dont no where I got that memory from). I thought that if I could just see him playing and know he was ok, I could be ok knowing he is laughing, knowing he is still him in a way. Well shortly after that thought I siad oh my gosh, if Casey can see me and others like he is looking threw a glass. How horrible sad I would make him if he sees me falling apart all the time.. If he see's me I need to show him a peaceful view of what is going on here. Yet I wouldnt want him to think I never cry over him.. But I tried to use that idea to help myself hold myself together. I tried to not always say I hate living even in my mind, yet to mention how much I loved living with him and enjoyed the time we had together. I try to self talk myself into a peaceful place and then when I find something comforting I share it with my husband and sometimes my older son. Of coarse there are those days where I just loss it and fall apart which I think is ok, I will always be somewhat lost without him and miss him being here on earth. I would never want to be without feelings. If I didnt get the signs I got I would be absolutely lost. I needed them. Thank you again for all your time and kindness.

20. Annie

Annie Member

Caseysmom, I can guarantee that Casey wants you to be happy, but don't feel guilty about mourning over him. But on the other hand, don't feel guilty about enjoying your life and not spending it in sadness. He knows you miss him, I've heard a lot of evidence that dead people receive thoughts we send to them and a lot of times can even see us. So in his mind, he is still with you and that while you may not be able to easily communicate with each other, to him it won't be long before you're united again. You're very strong though and it's great that you have your husband's and your other son's support to get you through this. And our support too, of course!

21. RobertaGrimes

Dear Caseysmom, as Annie says, your wonderful Casey is healthy and happy and free and he is living his life perfectly in the most perfect of all places with people who intensely love him. Please know that he feels no lack at all, especially - as Annie says - since he is still intimately involved with your family life, even though you can't see him. He knows your heart, so don't worry about making him sad if you cry - he knows how you feel, whether you cry or not. If you will ease your mind now of worry for him and concentrate on making the most of the rest of this lifetime for yourself and your family, you will make him proud, dear wonderful friend. You will be with him again amazingly quickly, and it will be then as if you never were apart for a moment. I promise you that!

22. Oh Annie thank you so much.... your post gives me warmth in my heart.. There is so much guilt when a person losses their child,,, so as you say...... i try not to feel guilty about those things,, i know time helps some of that guilt and i know the things a person believes in also helps.. And then there are friends like you guys are being and that support all together gives a person the strenth to get up in the morning and do what is needed of them.
    I know that I have to not feel guilty that I cry and then guilty when I dont,, I have to try and be at peace with both and I am getting better at that from the support I get from good loving people like yourself..

23. Roberta, again I ty..
    You guys are unbelievable kind... I will hold onto your words and you looked into all this stuff and seen so many amazing readings and things like that..I have to believe you know alot about whats going on,, I try so hard to believe he is happy,, and not knowing is the most painful of all my grief.. So if he didnt show me signs I wouldnt of come looking for this type of site and wouldnt of found you all.......... I am so glad I found you lovely people and you opened your arms up to comfort and educate all that you can.... I know a women from a blog who just lost her son, he took his life.last month. I dont no her believes so just touched the subject of this site and for her to look for signs from him. I hope in time she will come here and find some comfort.