1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Afterlife Forums is an online, interactive community designed to give seekers direct access to prominent researchers, to afterlife literature, and to one another in order to foster both spiritual growth and public interest in life after death.

sleep - do you get enough?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussions' started by mac, Jan 18, 2018.

1. mac

mac Staff Member

Absolutely nothing to do with afterlife issues!

We're often told by medical advisers that we need to get enough sound sleep for the sake of our overall health.

Do you feel you get enough sleep? Is it good sleep? If not do you feel it affects you adversely? Do you need to take OTC or Rx sleep-aids to help you sleep, either occasionally or regularly?

Please add your thoughts and ideas.

2. bluebird

bluebird Regular Contributor

I very rarely get enough sleep; it's been that way since my husband died. I probably wasn't getting enough sleep before he died, either, but then it was a matter of staying up too late reading or being online, as well as having to get up early for work. At least the sleep I did get was reasonably good sleep.

Every night since he died 5 years ago, I have to take two Benadryl in order to get to sleep. The few times I tried to do without it, I didn't fall asleep until 3 or 4 am, and then slept off-and-on, fitfully, until 6 or 7 am, then just got up. On very bad nights, when I'm even sadder and/or angrier than usual, or when I'm having a panic attack, I take a Lunesta (sleeping pill, prescribed to me) in order to fall asleep.

None of which guarantees good sleep, though. Sometimes, like last night, I have nightmares about my husband being gone.

The lack of good sleep definitely affects me adversely. It's one of the reasons why I've gained weight (along with eating badly and not exercising), it doesn't help with my blood pressure, and it contributes to the "fuzziness" of my brain that has been evident since my husband's death. My intelligence has been sort of blunted since he died, similar to "pregnancy brain"; I have read about it, and evidently this is not uncommon in situations of extreme and/or prolonged grief. I assume my intelligence must still be there, but I am unable to access it to the degree I once could, and I find it very difficult to focus now for any length of time (which is not a problem I had previously).

3. mac

mac Staff Member

That's really sad, bb. :(

4. bluebird

bluebird Regular Contributor

Thank you mac; it really is. In addition for mourning for my husband, I also mourn for myself, for having lost who I was.

Monika likes this.
  5. mac

mac Staff Member

It's been reported recently that old folk - like me - need enough hours sound sleep to help maintain health but perversely it seems that old folk generally sleep less well anyway as they get older. One of the many crap changes that ageing brings!

My sleep pattern can be disrupted by trivial issues and I routinely wake frequently, sometimes unable to get back to sleep for some time. I can't properly remember how things used to be - another old-age issue! - so I don't know if sleep disruption is different from when I was young or just that I'm reacting differently to it.

I irregularly take a half tablet of WalMart sleep aid - diphehydramine hydrochloride, an anti-histamine, I think, found in common cold remedies. That a fourth of the recommended adult dose so I'm not worried I'll become a junkie at this stage but I do wonder what will happen in the next few years as I hit mid 70s.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2018
  6. mac

mac Staff Member

That's so sad too, bb.....

7. ravensgate

ravensgate Active Member

I feel I get enough sleep. I average 5 hours of uninterrupted sleep, with the rare bathroom call, lol. Never needed - as far as I can remember - more than 5 hours' sleep. Something else I still enjoy in my old age is the ability to wake up without an alarm clock... I just wake up.

8. mac

mac Staff Member

5 hours of uninterrupted sleep? If only!

On rare nights I get that but most nights it's at least one, and often more, bathroom calls - it's a man's thing! Enlarged prostate because of my age and trying to keep well hydrated - as doctors say seniors should - leaves me needing a pee or just wondering if I do - same outcome, I get out of bed to be sure.

Women get a better deal, one of the few times that's the case.

9. ravensgate

ravensgate Active Member

Mac, in my experience and generally speaking, each gender ends up with some plumbing problem, lol . Prostate for males, prolapses in females, lol. Prolapses usually cause incontinence, and roughly 80% suffering from this disorder are women. Unfortunately, most women wait over 5 years to seek treatment (while the problem worsens). Regarding the nightly trips to the bathroom, corn silk has made a tremendous, positive difference! I surely rely on it ;)

10. mac

mac Staff Member

Agree that on the woman/man bladder issues - my wife's already had more-than-her-fair-share of that, here in AZ and at home in the UK.

I've never heard of corn silk as a medical treatment! I've just looked this up online....

Have you got any suggestions for buggered fat pads in my feet, metatarsalgia and plantar fasciitis both threatening my running?

Last edited: Jan 18, 2018