1. Afterlife Forums is an online, interactive community designed to give seekers direct access to prominent researchers, to afterlife literature, and to one another in order to foster both spiritual growth and public interest in life after death.
    Dismiss Notice

Signs and Messages from the other side

Discussion in 'After-Death Communication' started by Jim, Jan 28, 2013.

1. jimrich

jimrich Active Member

The "signs" I get come as images or inaudible words or hunches but i always know when they come from my late wife, Irene, and not my own memory or imagination. The most interesting experiences are when she REMINDS me of something I need to do or pick up so I always say thank you directly to her as though she is present and right here - as I know she is. I really enjoy just speaking with or to her even if it is not a typical two way conversation because I know she hears me and can and will respond in some special way right now or soon after. Quite often a response comes as an image or just a simple word. We have a lot more interactions in dreams but I usually forget what all we did there. She may be giving me physical signs but I haven't noticed any nor any dramatic events other than subtle mental/emotional communications.
    All that matters to me is to know, first hand, that my loved ones are alive and well and HAVING A BALL over there - as well as over here occasionally.

milahanna and Unexpected like this.
  2. RobertaGrimes

RobertaGrimes Administrator

It's good to see you here, Jimrich! I hope you like the new design; it took me a few days, but now I love it! And I love seeing that Irene is still so active in your life, and having so much fun in her greater life now. The relationship that you and she have is a wonderful inspiration to us all!

3. Unexpected

Unexpected Member

Thank you for sharing Jimrich! I've read other threads where you mention Irene and I love them. I've wondered "how" you receive your signs or if you had some ability like clairaudience or how it started.

I can sometimes hear him, his voice but that's rare, maybe 2 or 3 times that's happened. Typically I can feel him touching my arm, hand, head or sending me that tingling sensation. I also get the images and emotion or impression of words you described but that's when I "use the music" during the self-guided afterlife connections. Some things are changing though, I am starting to get some of this without the music. It's amazing to me you get all of that without anything!

Last night was the first time that I was very aware he was watching TV with me. He does this thing where I can sense he's there, it comes from within me. It's almost like he drops his "essence" on me. Sounds really weird but there have been times where it's so strong it's almost like a taste sensation. Wvem though it's strong it's also quick and subtle so I can see why people would miss or even dismiss it. He's started doing some fun stuff too. I asked him why he has never use scent with me, especially since I've heard it's the easiest. Well, he used scent about a week later. I got it and told him out loud. About a week or two later, I was asking how many lives he lived without me and he said 5. I said wow that sounds awful and asked how those years were. Out of nowhere I smelled a skunk which was impossible. I started to laugh. It was completely his humor and way of telling me those years stunk even though that probably wasn't the case but it was also his way of showing his love for me. I could sense his smile and how proud he was of that one.

I'm still trying to figure out how all of this feels completely normal yet is utterly amazing to me. I'm so grateful I have some place to "share" this. Thanks for reading!

4. milahanna

milahanna Member

Hi everyone. Hope everyone is having a happy holiday season. I haven't been here in a while. Been having a really hard time since Thai passed. We loved each other very much. He was my best friend. The lack of signs or any communication from him is really pushing me into a pit of despair.

I have tried everything. Everyone says to simply ask. I most definitely have. I've read everything I can find to help my faith. I remain open for any sign without expectations. I have even tried to calm my grief as I've been told that can block them from getting through. I'very spent time focusing on his freedom now and his happiness. Him being reunited with loved ones etc. but I'm still falling apart. I know that grief is selfish but I miss him.

It will only be 3 months tomorrow... Christmas Day :( but it feels like a lifetime. I constantly hear beautiful stories of those who have received signs and most of them happen so soon. I read them for comfort. At first they brought me so much hope but as the days and weeks slip by without a word from him, the stories are now starting to hurt.

They all talk about dreams, signs etc. either on the day of passing or within days.

I know he loved me when he was here. He often told me that I was the love of his life. He was mine. Now, I'm questioning everything. Afraid that his love died with him.

5. RobertaGrimes

Milahanna, it is very likely that you are receiving signs that you just don't recognize. If you will send me a contact email through robertagrimes.com and request it, I will be happy to send you a PDF of The Fun of Staying in Touch to help you notice what he might be doing!

milahanna likes this.
  6. milahanna

milahanna Member

Hi Roberta,

I bought the Kindle version already :) Thank you though. I very much appreciate it.

I try to remain open to anything, pennies, clouds, feathers, songs, electrical occurences, and just anything that would be considered a coincidence. I just haven't been able to see or experience something that really makes me think it was him.

I have scoured through Google blogs. Listened to meditation videos before going to bed. Tried EVP and picked up something kind of creepy. I posted his picture in a group with mediums on FB. Got one very sweet lady who thought she connected to him but all the details were way off.

I'm really trying. I read that we can try too hard. That makes sense but the afterlife is all I think about. I just feel like he's ignoring me.

I've had one dream a few days after his passing but it was sad. He looked sad, wouldn't talk or look at me and I ran around warning everyone that was going to overdose. He died from an accidental overdosed. Maybe he's at a healing place Idk.

7. mac

mac senior contributor

These thoughts are not directed towards any one individual. I see things this way....

When someone dies the animating spirit of that individual - their 'real', spirit form - returns whence it came. Each of us is very much an individual and our abilities vary greatly. Our return 'to spirit' will be either the first time or one of several, maybe many, such returns.

The various ways we were different from one another when incarnate will also be seen in each one of us, to a greater or lesser degree, after our passing. The 'first-timers' are likely to be less spiritually-progressed than the ones who have had multiple lives. We aren't a homogeneous bunch here on earth and won't be 'over there'.

After we pass our skills, ability or aptitude will differ. One individual may find it harder to communicate - via signs, symbols or whatever - than another who has done it on a previous occasion. We aren't a homogeneous bunch here on earth and won't be 'over there'. Over there as here, practice should make you better at doing things.

So when we wonder why a loved one desperately missed hasn't 'gotten in touch' in some way just reflect that if communications were simple there would be more instances of them happening. From what's been taught it seems that communicating from one dimension to another is far-from-easy and that's surely the reason that loved ones aren't heard from after their passing.

I accept that blinded by tears of grief, maybe ignorant about the significance of what we actually do see, we might be missing a sign from a loved one. But equally we may not. That loved, the one we so desperately wish to hear from, may be unable to communicate in the way we'd like or indeed in any way we'd recognize. If, though, we didn't see a sign it doesn't mean that someone no longer cares about us.

They may have tried unsuccessfully to reach us but accepted it ain't likely to happen. They also know we'll eventually cope without them. We have to. When we pass over we will find out - or just remember - that those who once used to love will still love and be together again if they both wish it. It's that way for all.

Knowing, accepting, that's the way things work won't necessarily stop your missing and thinking of your loved one. BUT it may help you to understand and accept what many of us already know and understand - even if we arrived at that point after walking very different paths.

SueK, Widdershins3 and milahanna like this.
  8. Unexpected

Unexpected Member

Thank you for sharing that Mac. I often ask myself why do I have this communication now? I've lost other people I love and I do not recall any signs so why now and why him? Perhaps they did not have the skill yet, perhaps I was at a place in my life where I was not open to it or dismissed it as coincidence? Some of the signs are so subtle that I do believe they would be very easy to miss. I have to remember there are a lot of factors that come into play. I will say, for him, he's told me we've reincarnated 23 times together. When I think about that, it's quite possible that's the reason "why" behind all of what's happening now. Guess I'll find out for sure later.

Milahanna - I whole heartedly believe your love lives on. No doubts. Roberta says "they" have shared that talking out loud helps them to deliver signs. I don't understand why and if anyone would like to share more on that I would love to hear it. Regardless, I do it although I can't say with certainty that's helped me or not. My experiences have shown me he can deliver signs without it but if someone were new to learning how to do that, perhaps that would help?

Widdershins3 and milahanna like this.
  9. milahanna

milahanna Member

Mac, you have given me a lot think about. It makes a lot of sense and I will no doubt be going back to your post in the future when I get down and depressed because it's a voice of reason that helps calm me down.

I have a tendency these days to measure the amount of love one has for another after passing through the signs they send. I know, it's a bit ridiculous but that's my mind and heart trying to make sense of the silence. I know he loved me. He made sure to tell me. We had an instant unexplainable bond when we met 25 years ago in 6th grade. However, the silence has caused me to question everything. Not the way I feel about him because I still love him deeply but his love for me. He's the only person in my life that I felt would reach back past this dreadful veil. The first few weeks after his passing I had so much confidence in this but now I'm at a loss. Mac, your perspective is helping though and I will be trying to focus more on what you said.

Unexpected, I'm not sure. All I do is talk to him out loud. I do it all the time and I tell him everything - my pain, my fears, my anger, my desires, my worries....everything. I probably do it too much yet I can't seem to get a sign or at the very least feel his presence. Oh how I wish to feel his presence or at least dream of him.

10. RobertaGrimes

Dear, PLEASE don't think of the number and quality of signs sent as indicative of love! That's a terrible burden to put on anyone, whether living or dead. It is difficult for us even to imagine how their lives are now, but they are busy and extremely happy and since time is not objectively real there they know that we will be with them again in a New York minute so many of our loved ones just want to have fun. Please just send him your love and smile and let him be. You will be with him again so soon!!

Widdershins3 and milahanna like this.
  11. milahanna

milahanna Member

I had my first reading and I don't believe it was him. I prayed for 2 days prior asking him to please show up and was so nervous the hours prior.

Nothing specific came through. No names. Nothing. I think it was a cold reading. 99% was the typical he's happy, loves you etc. She kept asking me what it was that I wanted to ask him which made it so difficult for me because I didn't want to give any details away. I wanted to hear what he has to say and to know it was him.

The closest thing to a hit was that she said he's with a friend that passed away before him. I know exactly who that would be but she couldn't give me any names, letters or anything. We all have a friend that has passed. I saw it as an easy guess. This lasted over an hour. Keep hitting a wall.

12. mac

mac senior contributor

That's very disappointing but perhaps not too unusual. A reputable evidential medium doesn't ask you why you're there, what you're looking for etc. But, in fairness, no practitioner can guarantee to link you with a specific loved one or indeed any specific discarnate. (spirit)

The correct thing for a practitioner purporting to be a (spiritual) medium is to admit it when they don't have a connection for you and refund at least part of their fee. There is no valid reason to keep a sitting going for an hour when it's obviously yielding nothing of value.

Of course if the reading was meant only to be a psychic one then it's a different kettle of fish.

milahanna likes this.
  13. ShingingLight1967

ShingingLight1967 Active Member

Hi Milahanna, and happy holidays to you.

So, this is my opinion after a year of delving more deeply into the subject of communication and signs. I "think" that in the past year since the passing of my husband, I have had signs from him. Some small, some not so small. I "think" he has contacted me through mediums and I "think" he has visited me in my dreams.

I say I "think" because my logical mind keeps trying to find the rational explanation for all that I have experienced. Some, I can explain away, a few I can not.

In the readings on the subject that I have done, the various authors have had spectacular displays of the presence of their passed loved ones, a lot of time with witnesses that can not be easily explained away. From voicemail messages and phone calls, dramatic displays of electronic disturbances, visual sightings and audible voices and smell that other people have also been witness too, materializing objects, hand prints on mirrors, etc. I have read several accounts of the some really great communication to which I have not received.

I believe that, at least for me, that I am looking for the grand display that will leave me with absolutely no doubt that he is in the afterlife and he is well and he is still with us.

milahanna likes this.
  14. DarthT15

DarthT15 New Member

I have not had any of these myself, but I have witnessed it happening to someone else. I knew someone whose father had passed a few hours before he had to drive me and a few other students home. Along the way, I was talking to him, helping him try and cope with the loss. Suddenly, his mother called his cell phone using his father's number and there was an odd garbled sound from it as it started to ring. Both of us believed that it was definitely a sign from his father. The next day, he shows me a video taken from his phone, He was filming in front of his father's house and there was this blue lightning/electricity towards the bottom of the screen. There was no possible source of electricity shown in the video.

He also showed me a recording from inside of his van and it was the sound of birds flapping and flying around, mind you that this was in a car with it's windows completely shut. On the topic of birds, he said he had been seeing way more birds than usual while driving.

Both of us did believe these were signs from his father and that he was letting him know he was fine.

Also, If the layout or wording is weird, I just needed to get this down. I'm not that good with sentence structure or paragraphs..

milahanna likes this.
  15. milahanna

milahanna Member

"It's definitely easier for departed souls to communicate in early days because the bond linking them to us is still strong and recent. With time our state-of-mind is reconfigured with other priorities and we set grief aside as life takes over.."

Saw this being shared with a friend of mine who was asking why her mom, who used to come through frequently, doesn't seem to be around as much anymore.

In her situation, the idea given makes sense. Her mom gave her undiable proof that she's alive and fine so I don't believe my friend needs constant reassurance anymore. Also, we all know that they do have busy lives on the other side.

You know me though...now I look to see how it applies to my situation. I haven't received a sign that I'm aware of yet. Haven't had a dream and don't feel his presence. If this idea that bonds are stronger soon after passing and only grow more distant as time passes and their priorities change then was my bond not as strong as I thought and am I essentially running out of time?

16. milahanna

milahanna Member

I talk to him all the time. Have even had to pull the car over at times due to the emotions and will sit there and talk to him. I express all my emotions, fears, worries and desires to him. He's probably tired of hearing it ;)

If I had not read so many ADC stories and NDE accounts I would assume he doesn't exist but I'm hanging on with the tiny bit of hope I have left. We loved each other very much. This silence makes absolutely no sense to me at all. As I mentioned before, soon after his passing I was a bit excited to see how he would communicate. I expected it due to our bond. I had confidence in it. I trusted him. Now, I question it and if it was everlasting for him. For me, yes, but for him.. I'm not so sure anymore.

I do still wonder if he's in a place of healing. His passing was sudden and tragic. IDK

17. milahanna

milahanna Member

Me too although I know those are rare and probably won't happen. I'll take anything now just to know that he's here and hasn't forgotten me.

18. mac

mac senior contributor

In the grief of bereavement we do sometimes appear more able to be reached and eventually we adapt to a new-normal and life goes on.

Life 'in the beyond' will be as busy as we choose to make it but it appears there is a wealth of activities and interests that we can enjoy. The 'recently-passed over' may initially feel they want to help their grieving loved ones left behind - why wouldn't we if we cared for them? But just as with those left behind, a new-normal will be experienced by our loved ones and they'll be helped (if necessary) to adjust to leaving behind (temporarily) thoughts and concerns for their loved ones.

Like it or not, it there appears to be no evidence that our incarnate lives are intended to be shared with those who have departed theirs. I find it weird that discarnate and incarnate family members should maintain contact with one another, long after death. Unless there are special reasons for it I see no benefit in living lives 'across the divide'.

Some/many/most of us may be in situations similar to this. It's sad when you're desperately hoping for a sign that doesn't come but you're one step, or several steps, beyond the point that many find themselves. You're here, you're discussing the situation in a supportive environment among others of a similar persuasion. You enjoy an awareness of 'what comes next' etc. that many never will.

milahanna likes this.
  19. milahanna

milahanna Member

It happened. I GOT A SIGN!!!

I was sitting crying and talking to him tonight. Just falling apart. I asked him about the two incidents that I have had on my phone several weeks ago which I felt might have been a sign but always doubted. I asked him that if those were him to please do it again. I wasn't asking for him to do something right then and there but just, in general, to please send me a sign through my phone again so that I would know those were from him. Literally a few seconds later my phone rings. Just one ring. I picked it up and on the caller ID was his name and number!

20. RobertaGrimes

OMG, that's beautiful, Milahanna! Those we love won't always do it on cue - I think one reason is the fact that where they are there's no time - but that fact makes it even more dramatic when they do respond this way!