1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Afterlife Forums is an online, interactive community designed to give seekers direct access to prominent researchers, to afterlife literature, and to one another in order to foster both spiritual growth and public interest in life after death.

Seriously sad at our society right now :(

Discussion in 'Spiritual Growth & Development' started by Matty Mo, Dec 20, 2013.

1. I don't watch the show. But I agree with his comments about shades of grey existing.

There has been a shift away from religion in this part of the world, but this shift has resulted in much more atheism than spiritualism, at least for the time being. This is why it seems like we operate in a "free for all" now where a lot more is socially acceptable. But with that kind of freedom should come responsibility, and that's where our society is lacking. Living selfish lives revolving around money, materialism, and sex, and not wanting to accept any of the consequences that may result.

Time for another shift - away from atheism and towards spiritualism. Now that's the pony to bet on...

2. The problem I have is multitudes of "so called" religious people were backing up his comments and supporting him all under the guise of their good book. Again, I don't want to start any debates on these forums as I love that we all seem to get along pretty well. I'm all for his right to free speech, I just hate how this has brought out so much anger from so many on both sides of the fence. Makes me believe we are far, far away from any type of enlightened society.

3. frith

frith New Member

This is happening because demographics are shifting and white Christian males are feeling like they're losing their power and like they're cornered so they're going to lash out at every opportunity.

This public outcry of hate will amount to nothing. The young amongst us aren't nearly as hateful as the old and the old are on their way out. These are the dying wails of intolerance in American society.

Of course much of the world will face far longer periods of hate and intolerance, but the USA is growing out of it. This latest incident and the outcry is proof of it.

I will remain an atheist throughout the rest of my life due in large part to the actions I see of a good portion of the religious, but I stay intrigued by bits and pieces of non-denominational spiritual information.

I don't see how this a "both sides of the fence" issue though. If people spew hate in public I would hope reprimands are in order. To ignore what was said is to allow it to continue and fester as a form of tacit approval. LGBTs, atheists, or anyone considered on the left of the matter has every right to be mad at what was said.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2013
  4. I get what you're saying, I think people should be called to task over any hateful comments. As I've always said, we do have the right to free speech but this doesn't give someone the right to make cruel or vile remarks and then expect everyone to just willingly accept them without question.

I'm really trying to rise above hateful, ignorant people and I know arguing with them solves absolutely nothing. I have no problem telling them that I don't think the way they think but I know I'm not going to change their opinions as they are most likely completely ingrained in them.

I completely agree about this and I do love your point about younger people leading the charge to a more enlightened future.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2013
  5. ilovelearninhg

ilovelearninhg Regular Contributor

6. RobertaGrimes

RobertaGrimes Administrator

Dear Frith, I can understand why you feel this way - abundantly! Those who profess to follow the Gospels are so often the least tolerant and least in accord with the teachings of Jesus. But before you resolve to reject God for the rest of your life, dear friend, please consider the possibility that it's hard for us all to see God because God is all that exists. Just as fish have trouble believing in water because water is their whole existence and they foul it and ignore it with impunity, so all my whole lifetime of research suggests pretty strongly that eternal Mind is the only reality, the water we swim in, the entire element in which we live and move and have our being. God is not human-like. God does not have a beard. Instead, the God that seems actually to exist is something like the unity of all human minds, and is loving beyond our ability to comprehend it. I'm with you in rejecting the very notion of a judgmental and petty God that takes sides. But that God seems to exist only in the minds of self-absorbed religionists. please instead, dear friend, open your mind a bit to the possibility that the true God in which you swim is the only reality. And loves you infinitely!!

7. Ask and you shall receive: It has already changed, simply go to http://www.dailygood.org/ and sign up for their daily dose of uplifting news, the only news I read.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you and your family.

With Lovingkindness (metta),
    vic

8. ilovelearninhg

ilovelearninhg Regular Contributor

Thanks Vic, I remember you mentioning that site. I hadn't looked at it in awhile. I'm going to sign up for their daily dose. Happy Holidays to you and yours.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2013
  9. Love it, thanks for sharing, Vic.

10. The same outfit that runs dailygood.org also runs http://www.karmatube.org/ if you prefer inspiring videos. It's wonderful to see that web entrepreneurs, instead of just making themselves rich, will go through the trouble to create uplifting websites such as these: http://www.servicespace.org/. Truly gives me hope that the world is becoming a better place each day (or in my worldview, that the programmer, whoever it may be, is fixing the bugs in our computer simulation). :cool:

With Lovingkindness (metta),
    vic