1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Afterlife Forums is an online, interactive community designed to give seekers direct access to prominent researchers, to afterlife literature, and to one another in order to foster both spiritual growth and public interest in life after death.

Seriously sad at our society right now :(

Discussion in 'Spiritual Growth & Development' started by Matty Mo, Dec 20, 2013.

1. I know we have many people overseas that may not know about a recent firestorm here in the states. There's a very popular reality show here called "Duck Dynasty". Info shared from Wikipedia - "It shows the lives of the Robertson family, who became wealthy from their family-operated business, Duck Commander, operated in West Monroe, Louisiana, which makes products for duck hunters, primarily the duck call named Duck Commander. The Robertson men, brothers Phil, Si, and Phil's sons Jase, Willie, and Jep, are known for their long beards and their religious views."

So recently one of the Robertson's, Phil, made some comments in a GQ magazine article stating the following when asked about his views on homosexuality. "Everything is blurred on what's right and what's wrong… Sin becomes fine. Start with homosexual behavior and just morph out from there. Bestiality, sleeping around with this woman and that woman and that woman and those men." There's more to it but you've either already heard it or are welcome to do a search on it in an instant.

So anyway, I'm not even touching on any of his conversation as right or wrong. I've read far too many opinions, ad nauseam, over the past few days and I certainly don't feel the need to drag it to these forums. What is really most troubling about this to me is something this simple totally brings out how incredibly divided we are, primarily speaking for the U.S.. Never have I read so many back and forth comments that are just hateful, angry, and intolerant of one another. I know the internet tends to bring out the worst in people due to the anonymity of it all. However, I've not seen a level of vitriolic discourse like this as many years as the internet has been around.

As I posted on my Facebook - "We're in a giant car heading towards a brick wall and everyone's arguing over where they're going to sit." - David Suzuki

Again, the reaction to one man's opinion has reminded me how divided we truly seem to be. I want to believe there's hope for us to come together someday and realize what makes us different isn't always a bad thing and we can care about each other despite our differences. However, there just seems to be so much bottled anger in so many people that I wonder how we'll ever come close to any sort of harmony in this world? This is coming from an extremely optimistic individual.

I don't know, I'm just curious to other people's thoughts on this if they've invested any time in reading people's reactions? I am fine with people having an opinion but I've never seen as many impassioned responses as I have for this that tells me there is an incredibly deep divide in this country which I've suspected for some time. I'm just sincerely sad right now.
    [/FONT]

Last edited: Dec 20, 2013
  2. mac

mac Staff Member

I live in the UK but I'm in AZ for the winter so I know what's going down.

My thoughts? It's yet another storm in a tea cup. I've seen 'em before, will see 'em again, and they blow over and get forgotten. We had James Arthur Ray's conviction for the sweat lodge deaths, the Colorado City cult scandals, multiple shootings all over the place and lord knows how much else. Set all of them, though, against the ordinary lives that the that most of us live and they are inconsequentially small in number by comparison, the behaviors of odd characters, something hardly unusual in this world....

Impassioned responses often mean little and I don't waste effort reading what others say as I have my own views. Of course society is divided - that's the nature of man.

3. Simple solution to your problem: Stop watching the news. I'll tell you from first hand experience that ignorance is bliss. And if something really important happens, someone will tell you about it.

With Lovingkindness (metta),
    vic

4. mac

mac Staff Member

Yeah that'll certainly work.

5. Wiser words are rarely spoken, I agree with both of you gentlemen. It seems I like to torture myself by reading comment sections of stories like this. I know how negative they'll be but I still get sucked in. One of my life lessons must be to learn to learn how to avoid giving in to negativity in others. I truly am much happier when I avoid the news altogether, unless it's good news. Thanks for the feedback.

6. RobertaGrimes

RobertaGrimes Administrator

As always, darling Vic, this is pure wisdom. I haven't watched any TV for more than a year, nor read a newspaper, and my life is so immeasurably happier! I am doing what I can to fix the world, as are we all, but there are many things we cannot fix, so there is no point in our tormenting ourselves by letting people place all that mess in our heads. Just put one foot in front of the other, at peace with God and with with every being, radiating joy everywhere in each moment, and you are one less spot of pain and distress. I had someone just this morning tell me how much happier I seem now, and that made her day brighter. Brighten every day that you can, dear friends - that is the very essence of living deeply!

7. Thank you, Vic. I completely agree and hardly ever watch television for this very reason. Hate is Hate. Whether it's against a persons personal lifestyle, the color of their skin, their race, religion. I won't be part of it.

8. Yesterday, after I had gotten really down about how people were treating each other in this regard, suddenly a few thoughts arose from my subconscious. I heard, "respect what you CAN control and lead by example, always loving." I'd love to believe this was my spirit guide trying to cheer me up and offer some good advice. :) It did make me feel a little better and reminded me that we can't control other people's attitudes and beliefs, I just need to continue to try and spread as much love as I can. Even if it's not appreciated by many, if a few see it and are reminded to do the same, I feel I'm doing my part to make this world a better place.

9. BruceAdama

BruceAdama Established Member

Well, I may get a bunch of flak for this, but here are my two cents on this whole general issue, Duck Dynasty included.

First off, Phil Robertson is free to believe and express whatever he likes. He is an American citizen, and our brave American soldiers throughout history have given their lives so that we all may enjoy such freedom. That having been said... unfortunately, Phil Robertson is also an employee of A&E, via the TV show. Thus, whatever he says in a public forum, such as a magazine article, reflects also on A&E, as Phil is a widely-known public figure. Personally, I think A&E made a huge mess out of this whole situation, and could have contained it all neatly and quickly by simply stating that A&E does not endorse Phil's viewpoint.

All THAT having been said... this whole issue just reinforces my belief that the far-left "progressives" are nothing more than a bunch of whiny and lazy children who love to throw a tantrum when they don't get their way. The "progressives" claim to champion tolerance and diversity... just as long as it's in line with what THEY believe. An atheist can mock and ridicule and insult a Christian, that's fine... but God forbid somebody quote the Bible openly, or dare utter one of the Ten Commandments... then it becomes bigotry, hate speech, etc. And instead of acknowledging the right of the opposing viewpoint to be expressed, the "progressives" bitch and whine and call foul, calling for boycotts, all to silence a viewpoint that doesn't fit their own. Yeah, seems really tolerant to me...

But beyond that, it's just such a culture of damned laziness... if you don't like something, ACT! Don't throw a childish little tantrum until somebody else, like government or the media is forced to do your own work for you. That's right... your OWN work. Why should a cable network, with a cash cow like Duck Dynasty bow and pull such a lucrative show from their lineup? If YOU don't like the show, or disagree with something, guess what? YOUR remote control has buttons on it... buttons that can be used to change the damned channel, or even turn the TV off. If you don't like the politics of a fast-food company... guess what? There are others which you can do business with. The "progressives" need to progress, and quit being such a bunch of damned whiny babies, asking for their mommies to bring them their bottle and wipe their bums all the time. Quit being lazy, and do for yourself. Change the channel, frequent other establishments. But don't force ME to change simply because I don't adhere to your own contradictory set of principles.

10. frith

frith New Member

I've seen way more vitriol, but I follow politics so I naturally would.

I fully support intolerance against the intolerant and the more people are faced with public opposition against their hate speech the sooner our civilization grows up. Spiritually or not.

What you see in the media about this and the vitriol is actually positive. The only way to stop hate is to confront and condemn it.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2013