1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Afterlife Forums is an online, interactive community designed to give seekers direct access to prominent researchers, to afterlife literature, and to one another in order to foster both spiritual growth and public interest in life after death.

science, mathematics 'over there'?

Discussion in 'Carol and Mikey Q&A 'follow-on-discussions'' started by mac, Nov 7, 2019.

1. mac

mac Staff Member

interesting points :)

I'm forever banging on about whether anyone knows if the sciences of this dimension apply 'over there' in the etheric ones. My supposition is that none of them do and if that's the case - if our sciences don't apply - then mathematics may have no application either.

It's an interesting question you've asked about whether Mikey actually remembers his mathematics. My guess is that he'll recall some but because he doesn't use it any longer he'll have lost whatever familiarity he would once have had.

I'll be interested in what he has to say. ;)

2. mac

mac Staff Member

Yet another prophesy of impending doom. Solar flares and other natural events that may or may not - remember the fears concerning the Millennium Bug? - affect our electronically dependent world are something some fear but then they link that to this supposedly coming cosmic shift in the spirituality of humankind etc.

It's kinda fun to fantasise about these things and some will prepare for an Armageddon they concoct in their minds but ultimately I won't accept that anyone has any detailed knowledge of such potential changes. Or if they do then they're unlikely to disclose them because there would just be no point anyway.

3. genewardsmith

genewardsmith Active Member

I remember discussing with much hilarity the Y2K bug before it happened, or rather didn't happen. But sometimes we really can see doom heading our way, the best example perhaps being global warming. That Edgar Cayce appeared in some respects to see coming, beating out the scientists.

4. mac

mac Staff Member

Climate change is a definite but what's not known is how it will pan out - sometimes unexpected processes work to dampen expected extremes but there may be other processes that have more of a serious impact than was anticipated with others yet to be identified. But we do know humankind is polluting its only habitat and that needs to be moderated to avoid the alarming effects already being observed.

What's much less certain than even the considerable uncertainty surrounding climate change and pollution is how even catastrophic events may - but may not - have a significant effect on humankind's overall spiritual progress and/or how we as a species behave.

5. genewardsmith

It's not mathematics, but presuming you find chess to be sufficiently similar, I refer to the Korchnoi-Maroczy game. Maroczy didn't seem to be playing much chess in the afterlife, as his opening theory was old-fashioned. He lost, as we would expect, but gave a good game.

https://www.pepijnvanerp.nl/2017/02/playing-chess-with-a-dead-man-maroczy-vs-korchnoi/

6. mac

mac Staff Member

I didn't refer to games because they're not pure science or mathematics even though they may involve scientific and/or mathematical strategies.

7. genewardsmith

If you can play chess in the afterlife, obviously you can do math.

8. mac

mac Staff Member

Why is that obvious? ;)

But I suggested games aren't pure mathematics even if the strategies have a mathematical basis. I'm not aware of any indication chess is played in the afterlife other than this single account. Having said that, though, I can see absolutely no reason it wouldn't be along with any number of other games folk enjoyed playing in this dimension - and maybe a whole bunch more we've never seen. Who knows? :)

9. genewardsmith

Its obviousness lies in the fact that chess requires some of the same skills as mathematics. The tactical portion of chess requires a kind of computational skill, particularly in the endgame, where an exact move counting is sometimes required. The most famous example of the overlap between math and chess is Lasker, who did work of great importance in commutative algebra and was also World Champion for a number of years. The same nexus appears in checkers, by the way.

By the way, some parts of chess are pure mathematics. Endgame tablebases can prove theorems about chess endgames, though it isn't normally thought of in these terms.

10. mac

mac Staff Member

My points were simple. You're just trying to obfuscate now by using big words and highfalutin phrases.