1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Afterlife Forums is an online, interactive community designed to give seekers direct access to prominent researchers, to afterlife literature, and to one another in order to foster both spiritual growth and public interest in life after death.

Sam Parnia update:No afterlife :(

Discussion in 'General Afterlife Discussions' started by Filip, Feb 15, 2014.

1. Here is a very interesting article
    i found on what happens when people die to their bodies!

From it,the excerpt that follows is on the research conducted by Dr Sam Parnia:
    During the AHA meeting, Dr. Sam Parnia, head of intensive care at Stony Brook University Hospital in New York, reported early results of a 25-hospital study of how frequently cardiac arrest survivors see or hear things while their hearts are stopped. Of 152 survivors interviewed, 37 percent said they had recollections from the unconscious period. Only two recalled actually seeing events and one described any events that could be verified. None saw images mounted in the treatment room as part of the experiment.

Still, there's evidence that dying brains can remain active. In August, researchers at the University of Michigan reported on brain studies of rats dying from induced cardiac arrest and suffocation. They found that within the first 30 seconds after death, all the rats displayed a surge of brain activity. The rodents' brains showed consciousness that exceeded levels normally found in the animals when they're awake.

Therefore,no hits for Sam Parnia! I think we should really worry now about the validity of NDEs... :(

2. mac

mac Staff Member

NDEs are simply that - experiences of individuals who appeared near to death. They neither validate nor negate the concept of life-after-death, the survival of our corporeal death.

They've caught the public imagination recently and may be a useful step for some to investigate the notion of survival but they may also become the sole focus for others.

Kinda like some folk seek out the fun and fantasy surrounding the sometimes spectacular phenomena produced during physical mediumship - witnessing phenomena may become more important than the message behind the mediumship being demonstrated.

NDEs don't provide evidence of survival and neither do physical phenomena.

3. janef

janef Moderator

The AWARE study (AWAreness during REsuscitation) is a multi-hospital clinical study of the brain and consciousness during cardiac arrest, including tests of the validity of perceptions during the out-of-body portion of near-death experiences. The latest status is that more data and larger scale studies will probably be required, and an end to the study is not anticipated in the near future. A report of preliminary results from the first five years of the study is likely this fall, to be presented through a scientific journal or a scientific conference.

"In the meantime, Dr. Sam Parnia, Director of the AWARE study, has written a new book, Erasing Death: The science that is rewriting the boundaries between life and death, to be released in February. The book reveals that death is not a moment in time, but rather a process that can be interrupted well after it has begun. Dr. Parnia reveals how some form of "afterlife" may be uniquely ours, as evidenced by the continuation of the human mind and psyche after the brain stops functioning."

Last edited: Feb 15, 2014
  4. If I wasn't so lazy I would type up or scan and post the conclusion to Frazer's lecture on afterlife beliefs of primitive tribes delivered at a university in England around 1910. Something to the effect of, "Ours is the only culture in the history of mankind that questions whether an afterlife exists. To all other primitive cultures studied it's a fact that is plain as day."

With Lovingkindness (metta),
    vic

5. ravensgate

ravensgate Active Member

Another “fine” example of modern reporting, lol. Thanks, Filip. I read the entire article, then I read it again, and it sounded so familiar. Then it hit me why it sounded so familiar. You see, back in November of 2013, I attended a symposium in Dallas, at the Omni hotel, in their ballroom.
    On Wednesday, Nov. 20, I came back home with several papers from the symposium, including the abstract pertaining to Dr. Parnia’ s research update (presentation # 236, session IX). Based on your link, I think the reporter was referring to this very event. Unfortunately the article you provide us with omits to include the conclusion, which reads: “Auditory and/or visual experiences during unconsciousness may be a relatively common phenomenon. Even though these experiences may not reflect the conventionally defined NDE and may be different, they may indicate that consciousness may not cease as expected with cessation of heartbeat during CA” (bold lettering is mine).

Today, in medicine we still view cessation of heart rhythm and cessation of respiration as clinical death; perhaps we need to revise our definition (I think Dr. Parnia agrees on this). In fairly recent interviews, Dr. Parnia kind of stuck his neck out by stating that “some form of afterlife may be uniquely ours, as evidenced by the continuation of the human mind and psyche after the brain stops functioning”.

In addition, you may find this interesting also; it is an article pertaining to the argument that NDE experiences are hallucinations. It was published by PLOS, a peer-reviewed journal, and refers to a study conducted in Belgium. It’s a rather long article, but the summary reads,
    In conclusion, the present study shows that NDE memories have more characteristics than any kind of memory of real or imagined events and of other memories of a period of coma or impaired consciousness following an acquired severe brain dysfunction. In our opinion, the presented data demonstrate that NDEs cannot be considered as imagined events.

As I may have mentioned in the past, this type of argument could go on ad nauseam. If you believe the “evidence” you’ve gathered refutes the survival of consciousness, go with 