1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Afterlife Forums is an online, interactive community designed to give seekers direct access to prominent researchers, to afterlife literature, and to one another in order to foster both spiritual growth and public interest in life after death.

resuscitation vs. DNR

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussions' started by Momsgirl, Oct 26, 2018.

1. Momsgirl

Momsgirl Member

I have a lot. The first 2 months I found things in odd places- a feather and a coin with the year of my birth. I also had 2 dreams. The past month with the exception of the tealight still on it's like she's been radio silent. I've asked for specific things-another feather or any kind of sign and got nothing.

Yesterday I asked for and received a do not resuscitate order from my doctor for myself. Immediately after I felt an intense feeling of dread. Not sure why but the emotions just didn't feel like my own. I thought to myself later that if my mom didn't like it which I know she wouldn't she'd probably get mad enough to throw the paper in the floor. Instead I found the blanket.
    I almost wonder if she has to conserve energy for my upcoming medium appointment and that's why I haven't got anything. That or she's mad at my thoughts and decisions which is possible.

Kurt likes this.
  2. pandora97

pandora97 Well-Known Member

From your profile it appears you are very young. I'm so sorry you find yourself in a position to even consider a DNR.:(

Kurt likes this.
  3. Kurt

Kurt Well-Known Member

What is DNR defined as?

4. mac

mac senior member Staff Member

do not resuscitate

5. pandora97

DNR is "Do Not Resuscitate". It is usually issued when a person is close to death or when their illness is severe. They do not want medical personnel to use extreme measures to keep them alive.

Kurt likes this.
  6. Momsgirl

Momsgirl Member

I'm not dying that I know of but I have multiple medical issues. My mom and I took care of each other so not having that to fall back on and the fact that I feel like I have nothing to fight for made me decide it. I'm a nurse too so I like to take a more realistic approach.

7. pandora97

That feeling may pass with time. You are a healer and a caregiver. Do you not trust another caregiver to help you should the need arise?

8. mac

I'm very much in favor of an individual deciding for herself that in certain situations of life-threatening or life-changing sickness or injury then she would not wish to be resuscitated. Provided she's not under emotional stress or pressure that could result in an unbalanced decision then I think it's perfectly right to respect that individual's wishes.

I'm sure some will argue that after her passing she may regret such a decision but the reality is there may be many decisions she later regrets but if anyone gets everything right in life then I will raise my hate HAT (!) to them.

Perhaps the biggest obstacle, though, might be if others seek to take action different from what the individual wanted.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2018
    bluebird likes this.
  9. Momsgirl

Momsgirl Member

It's not that. My job requires me to deal with patients in really bad shape. Patients who have not and probably won't recover. I don't want to live in that shape with tubes everywhere and someone else having to clean me.

10. pandora97

Think you meant "hat" mac:oops:

11. mac

OOOPS! Indeed I did - slip of the keyboard! I'll change it forthwith - thank you! :)

12. pandora97

This position is held by many. But aren't being kept alive by artificial means such as you describe and attempting to save your life with the possibility of a full recovery two different things. Both to be equally avoided by the presence of the DNR?

13. mac

I agree - same for me! But maybe if we're like that we won't be much aware anyway. I think it's likely to be way more distressing when you ARE aware of being in a prologed, helpless and hopeless state.

I hope I never get to find out first-hand....

Last edited: Oct 26, 2018
  14. pandora97

If I'm not mistaken this situation can be remedied by a Living Will. Not something as drastic a DNR.

15. Momsgirl

Momsgirl Member

Here a DNR is only active outside of a hospital. That means if I code at my home I am not resuscitated. Hospitals don't recognize the DNR. A new DNR order has to be placed that is hospital based. So if I were to walk into a hospital right now and my heart stopped they would still give CPR. I'm 45 minutes from the nearest hospital so if I lost a pulse at home by the time someone found me and EMS arrived I would have already have suffered brain damage. I don't have family that would be able to take care of me in that situation so for me a DNR is the best option.
    The amount of surgeries and procedures I've had in my short life is more than most elderly people that I've met. Myself and my brothers are unfortunately plagued by multiple medical issues that not even my parents had to face.

Kurt likes this.
  16. mac

The issues surrounding resuscitation are worthy of a thread to themselves.

Kurt likes this.
  17. pandora97

Sorry mac but you know how these things go. Things always seem to twist & turn until we've forgotten the original subject of the thread.

Kurt likes this.
  18. pandora97

Very sorry to hear that you've faced such difficulties. I hope that things will improve for you as you move on in life.

Kurt likes this.
  19. Kurt

Kurt Well-Known Member

Oh I have heard of those... I cannot believe I did not recognize it.

I want to get it tatooed on my solar plexus, but I have been told that paramedics and doctors ignore it. is that true?

If not it is going on....

20. Kurt

Kurt Well-Known Member

I just think it is amoral for some random guy to run in playing captain save a man....

Only for me to wake up with CTE type symptoms, fake love from fake friends (neighbors) and a giant medical bill I never wanted.