1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Afterlife Forums is an online, interactive community designed to give seekers direct access to prominent researchers, to afterlife literature, and to one another in order to foster both spiritual growth and public interest in life after death.

Respect your elders

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussions' started by Dr. Brown, Oct 27, 2018.

1. Dr. Brown

Dr. Brown New Member

So what happened to the concept if respecting your elders?

2. Dr. Brown

Dr. Brown New Member

I feel like over time it has gone down a slippery slope at alarming rates.

70 yrs. ago it was uncalled for to disrespect peopep older than you. Now it is encourage.

Sad!

3. Dr. Brown

Dr. Brown New Member

Any thoughts or have I just aged badly?

4. RobertaGrimes

RobertaGrimes Administrator

I suspect that it goes hand in hand with respecting this nation and its founding principles. It isn't just our elders that today's youth disrespect, but it seems to be pretty much everything of enduring value. I do think, though, that the pendulum may be in the process of swinging back again....

pandora97 and Bill Z like this.
  5. bluebird

bluebird Well-Known Member

I give everyone a certain base level of respect, unless/until they demonstrate that they don't deserve it. Others will, over time, gain an increased level of my respect, based on their actions.

Age has absolutely nothing to do with it, however. I don't accord increased respect to a person simply because s/he is older....length of time spent alive is irrelevant. That base level of respect for all is automatic, and anything more is earned via behavior/actions.

Kurt and Bill Z like this.
  6. pandora97

pandora97 Well-Known Member

I couldn't agree more bb. But I have noticed a severe decline in even a base level of respect by many of today's youth. None of us can demand respect. As you've indicated, respect must be earned. However most young people lack the experience and knowledge to gauge a level of respect to afford another individual. Today it seems as though many of them have just opted not to even try.

Bill Z likes this.
  7. bluebird

bluebird Well-Known Member

I don't find that to be true, for the most part, at least in my experience. I have found that many people, young or old, demonstrate at least that base level of respect that I mentioned. I think it may just be that young people today are very quick to lose respect for people who demonstrate prejudices such as racism, sexism, and homophobia, and that is a stance which I both applaud and share.

Kurt likes this.
  8. Kurt

Kurt Well-Known Member

I ignored my buggest anti fan out of respect for his health....

Does that count?

I actually liked him at first .... Thrn he hated me and Pandora97...

9. Kurt

Kurt Well-Known Member

As far as respecting your elders, I agree with bluebird. It depends. I cannot give the same respect I give to Roberta or @Ruby as I would to a madman or a evil scumbag. Who would you respect more?

Adolf Hitler or Elie Wiesel?

Jack the Ripper or The men who patrolled the streets to protect him?

Charles Manson or Sharon Tate?

Ted Bundy or the little girl he murdered?

All of these men were not only evil, but they make all of us look like children... Infants even based off of age. I understand there are men and women here who are around age 70...

But some I just listed off were around in April of 1888... The 2 most infamous in particular...

I do respect my elders... But only ones who have something to offer. Here is something that I find particularly useful from one who has something to offer.

It is relevant.

Practically, the old have no very important advice to give the young, their own experience has been so partial, and their lives have been such miserable failures, for private reasons, as they must believe; and it may be that they have some faith left which belies that experience, and they are only less young than they were. I have lived some thirty years on this planet, and I have yet to hear the first syllable of valuable or even earnest advice from my seniors. They have told me nothing, and probably cannot tell me anything to the purpose.

Those are words from Henry David Thoreau.... Who makes Mac (probably the oldest member) look like a mere thought in the future.

Here is something from a man who makes Henry completely inconceivable based off of age alone.

From Confucius :

To know that we know what we know, and that we do not know what we do not know, that is true knowledge

I personally, will not and refuse to take advice from a person who is a failure.... Let alone a generational that equals complete failure based off of age.

Should we respect and gobble up every morsel of idiocy that the lost generation had to offer? Based off of age?

Their knowledge gave us the second world war!

Go to right now. Should we respect the Boomers in Arabia for handing us the war on terror?

Not all of them fought against the first world.... But they all United against the Soviet Union...

This is something that Anne Frank points out that I can see right now.

The generation before mine pushed violent music, horrible foreign policy and gave us 9/11 and a abrasive culture.

The generation before them taught them Drugs and protesting literally every single little thing....

Hey dude.... That rock man?.... Is ..... Is.... blue bro .... It should be red man.... To reflect solidarity with those farmers man....

*Dunks it in red paint*

Man.... That's some real tough spiritual conditioning dude.....

*Takes more LSD*

*Overdoses*

*Reincarnates into the future feeling very out of place*

So is it really that illogical that my generation is skeptical of all who came before us?

I have no reason to respect the previous generations. I cannot say that I never wanted to come to earth... That is against all I have learned here...

But coming from a human perspective versus a speekers perspective.... I was not around in 1918 when the West murdered the world order (which is really where all of this chaos began. Any quick study of world history will show that...)

And from a seekers perspective?

Still.... No...

Those who are attracted to these topics at my age are usually advanced one way or another. So... Was I likely here for the generations I bashed?.....

Possibly but unlikely....

Usually if you are attracted to one period that you absorb a lot of info and that (((osmosis))) works unusually well around then that is where you probably spent a previous lifetime.

The research I have seen reflects this.

I like the Russian silver ageand tackled the zeitgeutz impressively quickly. I knew about things I have no idea about knowing. I predicted events in Rasputin's life studying his autobiography the way you would watching a bad horror movie... From a seekers perspective it is logical to conclude that is where I previously was at.

Hypothetically and from a seekers perspective, I now have even less reason to respect the lost generation to the millennial generation...

But I agree with bluebird. It depends on the person. I am not taking college advice from a janitor, I'm not taking children advice from a pimp or life advice from a inmate....

I will take it from those who merit it.

Some here do, others do not.

I do not and will not go off of age.

That is a human concept that is detrimental to Spiritual growth.

10. pandora97

I'm speechlesso_O

11. pandora97

Good morning Kurt.....

Kurt likes this.
  12. Ruby

Ruby Active Member

Careful now. Maybe get back to your studies.

13. Kurt

Kurt Well-Known Member

?

14. Kurt

Kurt Well-Known Member

I thought you were on my side......

I even spoke nicely of you:(

15. Kurt

Kurt Well-Known Member

Good morning Pandora97. I hope you have a wonderful day.

16. pandora97

Thank you Kurt.

Kurt likes this.
  17. Kurt

Kurt Well-Known Member

Would any of the older members mind responding? I would love to hear their opinions...

And don't worry, I will not be offended.

18. Kurt

Kurt Well-Known Member

I would like to add that I do not continue respecting elders... I just do not agree with blindly following them...

19. mac

mac senior member Staff Member

That's an old saying and although I'm probably known for using old sayings it isn't one you'll hear from me. :D

Being older than many/most here on ALF still doesn't mean I'm an 'elder' and I wouldn 't want/expect respect just because I'm 'elderly' - OLD!

What I would welcome, though, is respect (help) when I'm unable to function as I once could.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2018
    Kurt likes this.
  20. pandora97

I believe what the professor is missing are actually the days when all children were taught to respect their elders. And also anyone of authority. Such as our teachers, policemen/women, clergy, and so on. We stopped teaching it long ago, hence we can't expect it any longer.