1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Afterlife Forums is an online, interactive community designed to give seekers direct access to prominent researchers, to afterlife literature, and to one another in order to foster both spiritual growth and public interest in life after death.

related matters

Discussion in 'After-Death Communication' started by mac, Jun 1, 2016.

1. mac

mac Staff Member

After I woke this morning I lay in bed briefly thinking about my approach to the matters we've discussed concerning trans-dimensional communication.

A couple of times recently I've written something like “Surely I'm not the only one asking this question?” but as I thought about it I also thought “Well maybe I am!” I'm certainly often the only contributor actually expressing such questions so maybe others aren't thinking about what's been said, not asking themselves if it sounds reasonable?

When I went online as I made the first cup of tea of the day I headed for ALF to see who'd said what while I was asleep. Only you, Andrew, had said anything overnight and as I read your words I was a little upset at your reference to my skepticism. Upset because I always feel that 'scepticism' can have the connotation of disbelief and, by association, disbelief in what another individual has said. A quick Google search confirmed that usage. But that's not me.

There was also an alternative definition, one that I hope reflects my own approach namely a “...questioning attitude towards unempirical knowledge or opinions/beliefs stated as facts, or doubt regarding claims that are taken for granted elsewhere.” If I ever just ask 'why?' it's not that I'm disrespecting what others say, not disbelieving what they claim, but simply questioning anything asserted without proper support or inviting challenge. As I thought further I realized I'd been in a similar position before and for a similar reason– that of communication.

Now in my last years of this incarnation I'm not as mistrusting of others as I used to be in my young, reactionary years. I view them to be as honest as I try to be myself until they let me down. That approach can come unstuck but still I persevere. I recall well ( perhaps not that well!) how impressed I was by the approach of the group whose activities were later to be known as The Scole Experiment, how thorough and honest in their endeavors they appeared. In those days there was much that was experimental, much that couldn't be explained, much that appeared novel. I was happy to be patient and wait for the group to achieve their goals and for explanations to follow later. Does any of this sound familiar?

The upshot, though, was that the things I waited patiently for did not happen. The trust I had placed in those workers for spirit seemed misplaced. To be fair perhaps they were misled or maybe they were so eager to be on the cusp of something revolutionary that they failed to keep their feet on the ground? The work they were doing promised to reliably deliver the message of survival but in all the excitement the work might not have been approached as thoroughly as it deserved to be.

Perhaps all this is why the curmudgeonly 'mac' already sees holes in the promised rich tapestry?

Last edited: Jun 1, 2016
  2. Andrew

Andrew Guest

I'm sorry to offend, Mac--I did, in fact, mean "skepticism" as the term is reflected in the emboldened definition above. Moreover, I believe that a certain amount of skepticism is both healthy and necessary when discussing and investigating matters such as these. This is especially the case since the dead are not speaking to us "loud and clear" at the moment, so to speak. So, please understand that my comment was not intended as a critique of your questions at all. :)

I do see what you mean. Unfortunately, there is not very much that I can do for the time being to get you the information you desire. Perhaps though, you might try connecting to the North American Station yourself? Craig has published detailed instructions on the Afterlife Research and Education Institute's website. Just be sure to email him--his address is on that page as well--so that he knows you are working with the Station, and so that he can send you any additional directions. It can apparently take a while for the Station to start communicating, but I actually got responses on my first try, so one never knows.

3. mac

mac Staff Member

Hi Andrew

I wasn't in any way offended by your using the word 'skeptical' - we know one another too well for that ever to happen. :) No I was upset at being thought sceptical in the sense of the 'wrong' definition, the first one I outlined. I am very comfortable being sceptical for the reasons in the second definition; that's definitely the right one to describe my approach.

My comments weren't meant to put any pressure on you, Andrew. They were simply observations about why I am the way I am. I hope I'm not seen as awkward just for the sake of being awkward. My wife has often chided me for wanting to explain - at length! - points I feel strongly about. But that's me, that's how I am.

I don't expect anyone to provide proof - evidence - for me. I may sometimes ask for a favor, for help, but I'm not expecting you, Andrew, or anyone else for that matter to provide me with information. I'll base my judgment on what I hear, what I read. All I'm hoping for are indicators that pass the level of persuasion I find necessary for me. Others are, naturally, perfectly entitled to accept whatever level of persuasion is right for them. I don't seek to influence them.

I'll give some thought to your suggestion about trying to connect to the North American Station. It might be an interesting exercise for me and might also help others in some way. The latter is way more important to me than the former.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2016
  4. Andrew

Andrew Guest

Thanks for your reply, Mac. I understand precisely what you are saying, and I do hope you find the explanations and the evidence you are looking for! :)

5. lybg

lybg Member

Wait & see

Hi Mac & Andrew
    Thank you for the questions and dialogue! I tend to be silent on things I don't have a fairly clear understanding or strong opinion. At this point I don't have enough understanding to even ask preliminary questions! With the communication stations I have a strong hope and a wait and see opinion. My belief is that answers will come as progress on the station is made...so I lurk in the background and read postings from others who know much more than I. So, thank you again for keeping us all up dated Andrew, and for asking your questions Mac!