1. Afterlife Forums is an online, interactive community designed to give seekers direct access to prominent researchers, to afterlife literature, and to one another in order to foster both spiritual growth and public interest in life after death.
    Dismiss Notice

Question for mac and

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussions' started by ravensgate, May 20, 2018.

1. ravensgate

ravensgate Active Member

any British forum member. What, if anything, can you tell me about the "Independent"? Do you consider it a reputable source of information, middle ground, or garbage such as, in my opinion of course, The Sun, The Enquirer?
    TIA.

2. mac

mac senior member Staff Member

I'd say the Independent - the 'i' as it's now known - is a 'proper' newspaper and not a rag like The Sun.

3. ravensgate

ravensgate Active Member

Thank you, mac!

4. Maria

Maria Member

The Independent or “the Indy” as it is fondly called, is a liberal newspapers tending towards the left in its views. For example it is pro EU, and known as a newspaper where intelligent and balanced opinions are more important than sensational stories as compared to tabloids like The Sun and the Daily Mail. Both the Independent and the Guardian (a similar left-oriented paper), are my favourite newspapers. Dave Brown is a political cartoonist for the Independent and I think his clever satire is nothing short of pure genius. The Independent is also anti Brexit, but I better stop here to avoid my post becoming political.

ravensgate likes this.
  5. Maria

Maria Member

Apology for typo - should read "a liberal newspaper".

6. bluebird

bluebird Well-Known Member

Thanks for the info. I will have to make a point to look it up online. ;)

7. ravensgate

ravensgate Active Member

:D:D

Yes, I agree.
    I asked about this publication because I've been reading it, on and off, for a few months now, and I must say that I like - as you say - the intelligent and balanced opinions. I find that, in general, publications across the pond tend to keep sensationalism in check.... what a refreshing idea! I remember when Lady Di's fatal accident happened, how the stations here were dissecting every bit of it, showing diagrams of the Mercedes, calling in "experts", etc. etc.; this went on day after day, 'till one day I found myself hollering, "Enough already, give it a rest!", lol
    Thank you, Maria. I believe I will keep reading it :)

8. Kurt

Kurt Active Member

This is a highly informative article. Thank you all. I will make sure to check out the news.

I was wanting to look at a foreign source, since I thought they might be more unbiased on our news.

9. ravensgate

ravensgate Active Member

Kurt, I think/hope you will be pleasantly surprised. I've been reading foreign publications for quite some time now. At first, you might think they're pretty "dry" but that is what I like most; give me the news, let me decide. If I want your opinion, I will check out your blog (if there is one), but don't cloud and distort with your bias and fluffy bs, lol. I do read the editorials, though, for they give me an overall feel of the current winds, so to speak! ;)

Kurt likes this.
  10. mac

Try our BBC website for news articles. I hope their reporters are as unbiased as we long-in-the-tooth Brits hope they are!

We watch US TV news channels when we're there in the winter but also compare what we hear in AZ with what's reported on Auntie Beeb. On occasion it can make for interesting reading and comparisons.

Kurt likes this.
  11. Kurt

Kurt Active Member

Thank you for the recommendation.

12. mac

A suggestion for your consideration rather than a recommendation. ;) Even Auntie Beeb gets accused of bias!

Kurt likes this.
  13. Kurt

Kurt Active Member

lol

14. ravensgate

ravensgate Active Member

BBC is the first app I open on my cell phone and the first I read when I get the computer going. Then I head to the Canadian sites. :)

Kurt likes this.
  15. mac

good choice! :)

Kurt likes this.
  16. Kurt

Kurt Active Member

Checking the news is always the 1st thing I do as well.

17. mac

It's good to hear that others follow the news.... I do think that sometimes I go over the top, though, because in the UK there are so many news bulletins compared with the situation in the USA.

Here I stop myself from tuning in to listen to, or watch, the latest news whereas when I'm in the USA I'm struggling to find quality, properly updated material. Too often I find myself watching 'news' that we'd seen the previous day sometimes as much as 36 hours earlier.

Kurt likes this.
  18. Kurt

Kurt Active Member

I hate news loops... but they are great when you need to catch up.

19. mac

Yeah folk often don't have enough time to stay up to date with what's happening.