1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Afterlife Forums is an online, interactive community designed to give seekers direct access to prominent researchers, to afterlife literature, and to one another in order to foster both spiritual growth and public interest in life after death.

Question about reincarnation

Discussion in 'General Afterlife Discussions' started by ForHarley, Feb 18, 2018.

1. bluebird

bluebird Well-Known Member

I haven't yet watched that show, but I read the book years ago, and highly recommend it.

2. mac

mac senior member Staff Member

When some of us are shown possible future scenarios they must - by definition - be the constructs of powerful minds. The events are only potential outcomes hence not 'the future' and can be only "for illustrative purposes" as modern-day disclaimers often state. But I've yet to be persuaded about past, present and future all exisiting contemporaneously and each interacting with, and influencing outcomes of, the others.

I'm unable to decide if being a feet-of-clay Taurean keeps me on an even keel and all such notions are either fanciful or misunderstood. ;) Or whether my Taurean approach is preventing my seeing the-big-picture as it truly is. o_O

Alternatively perhaps we're all partly right and all partly wrong. :D

3. bluebird

I tend to agree. I don't pretend to even come close to understanding the nature of time, but I do understand, at least to some degree, the nature of my own experiences. That is, I know that the experiences in my past have occurred. Most importantly, of course, my husband died. Whether or not he continues to exist in an afterlife is not the point I am making or debating here; the fact is that his human, earthly body died. It sucks, it's hell, I hate it, but it is what happened, and that event has had and will always have continuing repercussions in my soul and my life for as long as I remain in this earthly life. Perhaps events from the past, present, and/or future somehow influenced this event, I don't know, but however it occurred, it did occur. It will never not have occurred. It is a fixed point in time, for me.

4. Widdershins3

Widdershins3 Active Member

Wow. I read your blog post yesterday, Roberta, and it's still hitting me at intervals just how profound that idea iso_O I'd heard it referred to before, but I don't think the full significance of the idea that time is backwards and forwards malleable really sunk in. I think it was the way you used an actual historical atrocity that allowed me to begin to wrap my mind around the implications. They are enormous...

This AM, I woke up wondering whether changes on one timeline affect all timelines? (assuming the existence of multiple timelines each time an important decision is made) Or does the change backward and forward happen in all of them? We're currently watching a mind-bending TV show called Counterpart that follows the lives of 2 men who are the same person, but whose realities diverged 30 years ago into separate timelines which are now in touch with each other.
    ( http://www.imdb.com/title/tt4643084/?ref_=nv_sr_1 ) So I've been thinking about this mind-twisting subject more than normal lately.

I love the idea that some of the tragedies in my own life might not be set in stone, too. Time is such a challenge to think about this way, though...

pandora97 likes this.
  5. RobertaGrimes

RobertaGrimes Administrator

I'm so glad you enjoyed it, Widdershins3! Personally, I love the idea that neither past nor future is fixed, but everything is happening at once and all events are influencing one another. I am coming to wonder whether the end of time is going to be the moment when our much higher planetary vibration eventually clears all the negativity from all of human history, and every set of arch-enemies across all of time at once falls joyously into one another's arms ;-).

Widdershins3 likes this.
  6. kim marine

kim marine Active Member

Are we all advanced beings since we have the same source?

Is the mind of a Christian these days inextricably wound up with the laws of elementary science? It seems as though they are afraid to "jump off the cliff of old ideas" because they fear God won't catch them. If you fear of wading in all of these new ideas; don't be afraid to jump. Deuteronomy 33:27-"The eternal God is your refuge, and underneath are the everlasting arms."
    Why are we so afraid to evolve so that this planet can thrive?

Last edited: Mar 15, 2018
  7. mac

How advanced is advanced? We are all of the spirit, from the spirit hence identically similar to the source but once we assume individuated forms we set off on an oddyssey of spiritual discovery. During that journey we adopt roles that leave us appearing as though we are less advanced than our essential nature actually is. We can debate why that happens 'til the cows come home but we are unlikely to get very far in specific terms; interesting to do it but probably pointless.

We are who we are, what we are and where we are by design - call it 'the will of God' if you wish. Individually some of us may know a smidgin about the need for humankind to progress spiritually but are we saying that the other 7 billion individuals all know something similar? Or can do anything significant to change themselves spiritually?

But are you suggesing it's only Christians who face this challenge? What of those who don't subscribe to the Christian religion, don't worships its God, don't use the Christian instruction manual for living here on earth?

What of them?

8. Widdershins3

I've come to think that, once we enter the "school" of incarnation on this planet, we start a course of development. To me, the soul is eternal, but advancement comes with experience and a willingness to apply knowledge gained. And, just as in an earthly school, some students internalize the information they're given and eagerly move ahead, some are slow but steady learners and some probably try to play hooky, at least in the beginning.

We all come from the creative force--Infinite Intelligence, as the Spiritualists call God--but most of us have met and recognized exceptionally advanced souls and, unfortunately, their counterparts: morally and ethically primitive souls. Which is in no way meant to malign people from what we ignorantly call "primitive cultures." Most of the barely human souls with whom I've had the misfortune to interact have been CEOs or at least privileged: rich and educated. There actually seems to be a sort of epidemic of anti-social acting-out in the so-called First World societies right now that makes me wonder why so many "young" souls have entered together...?

I've been wracking my brain to recall where I saw a link to a really thoughtful article on "soul ages" recently. Was it here on the board? It was so well-done that a 1000 watt lightbulb came on over my head as I read through it. Should have bookmarked it, but somehow did not.

9. Maria

Maria Member

Widdershins3 This is a link to an article I read a few months ago. It explores the different ages of souls and how it influences personalities and careers etc. It also profiles the soul ages of nations (for example countries such as Ethiopia are deemed to be "Infant Souls"), as well as the soul stages of famous people. I hope you find it interesting.
    www.michaelteachings.com/soul_age_index.html

10. RobertaGrimes

RobertaGrimes Administrator

Christians are simply beings, like the rest of us. There is no evidence whatsoever - and believe me, I have looked hard for it! - that being a Christian gives you any special eternal status whatsoever. What does count, though, is whether we have strictly followed the teachings of Jesus on love and forgiveness, and thereby have raised our personal vibration.

Indeed, Christians are very much afraid to jump off that cliff of old ideas! They have bought into the notion that the death of Jesus has given them a get-out-of-hell-free card, and they cling to that card because it seems so easy. It is following the will of God and the teachings of Jesus that seems hard!

kim marine and pandora97 like this.
  11. mac

I've had a quick look at the page and will take a longer look round the rest of the website later - thanks!

12. kim marine

kim marine Active Member

No
    I don't see anything wrong with what someone of another religion does. Religion is man-made anyway.

13. mac

So it wasn't particularly about Christians. It relates to anyone......

14. kim marine

kim marine Active Member

Yes. I suppose I singled out Christians because I am most familiar with that religious group.

15. Teri

Teri New Member

I agree with you 100%. I also do not have any interest in reincarnating as my catholic upbringing tells me we don't. Not real sure how that whole thing works. When I go to a medium, my grandfather always comes through. He's been gone well over 45 years. IF he reincarnated I would assume he wouldn't come in, just my thought - then, assuming he has chosen not to incarnate. Sometimes I believe Earth is the hell we live in and once we are in the afterlife, we find the love and peace we all want. Just my own opinion....

SashaS likes this.
  16. mac

The subject of reincarnation is a large one and repeatedly re-visited but always there are many misunderstandings.

17. bluebird

I really don't know if reincarnation exists or not; I have read some accounts which seem fairly convincing to me. I only know that it's not something I ever want to do from this point on (whether or not I have ever done so before, which I also don't know). Even if reincarnation does exist, if we do have free will then we must have the ability to choose whether or not to reincarnate, so perhaps your grandfather chose not to. On the other hand, evidently "time" may work differently in the afterlife, so if reincarnation does exist then it's possible your grandfather has reincarnated one or more times during the past 45 years but was still able/available to communicate with you from the afterlife.

I have read about the idea that Earth is hell and the afterlife brings love and peace. I don't believe in hell, but I do think the Earth is often a hellish place. I certainly hope there is an afterlife where we are all able to be with those we love, and find peace.

18. DenverGuy

DenverGuy Active Member

Lots of confusion about reincarnation, that's for sure. Of course no one knows. On one hand we hear that we will be reunited and it will be beyond wonderful (Swedenborg), but then someone else says that we'll come back someday - maybe as a jellyfish.

As I have said, I hate the idea of reincarnation. In simple terms I imagine being on the other side and looking for my girlfriend, only to be told that she is now an electrician in Moscow. A ridiculous example, I know, but I wanted to boil it down.

19. bluebird

Suppose that reincarnation does exist, and further suppose that while you are still in this life, from the afterlife your girlfriend decides to incarnate again, this time as an electrician in Moscow. If that were to happen, then it seems to me unlikely that you would run into her again in this life, but then when you did and go to the afterlife yourself (in this example, we assume that the afterlife does exist, since that is where your girlfriend was while between lives), I would think you would then have the knowledge that she was in another earth life. If time is actually different/faster/nonexistent in the afterlife, then in no time at all (so to speak), she would be back there with you again. Perhaps she would choose, one way or another, for her life as a Russian electrician to come to an early end, so as to be with you again. In the meantime (assuming that we do have free will, including the freedom to choose not to incarnate again), you could be there in the afterlife waiting for her, and thereafter the two of you could choose/decide together whether or not to incarnate again.

I guess my point is that even if your example could actually happen, then it seems to me that as long as we do have true free will, it could also be quickly rectified.

20. DenverGuy

DenverGuy Active Member

I never thought of it that way. Thank you!

21. ravensgate

ravensgate Active Member

I strongly suspect that when we choose to reincarnate, a part of us, our "essence", if you will, always remains in the spirit world. Just as some believe we are aspects of the "All That Is", our earthly incarnations may be just one aspect of our multivariate spiritual nature, possibly existing in this as well as other realms, but always anchored to the Source. There is a fairly good explanation of this in one of Dr. M. Newtons's books, though at the moment I forget which one! :oops:

22. Widdershins3

I came here to post something similar to what ravensgate says above. I've also read that the part of her oversoul who you knew--that fragment--will be there to welcome you over, no matter how many parts of that soul are incarnated then or where they're living lives. Wish I could remember where I read about it, but I do know that it's in a number of books from a number of sources. And at least one channeled being says that's what happens. Wish my memory was better!

23. ravensgate

ravensgate Active Member

Should you remember where you read it, I hope you will share. Thank you!
    I am unable to remember if I read this in Journey of Souls or Destiny of Souls. Think I'm going to take a look....it's nagging at me, lol

24. bluebird

;)

25. Monika

Monika Active Member

Hejā™” Topic of reincarnation bothered me for so long time. I can not say that i was reading about it a lot. Probably if compare with others i read almost nothing about it. And i felt annoyed by this topic because i could not accept the idea of reincarnation at all. Not because i dont want, just because. Without any real explanation.
    Anyway, some time ago i put all my strength together and asked Michel about this.
    NOTE: This is strictly just my personal experience. I do not claim anything. I know nothing about reincarnation other then about my own.
    There is a short script from our talk:
    What about reincarnation Michel? It is not important for us anymore.
    Why? Because we are loving each other.
    Is it a purpose of your life, of my life? Yes it is. To find true love.
    Any kind of love? No. Just love between man and woman.
    But what about other people? Is this the purpose for them too? Is this the only purpose? No, they choose. It differs from person to person. There are many purposes.
    Was the purpose to find each other just in this life? No, we had many lifes searching each other.
    Did we ever met in lifes before or were related with some kind of relation, like family members, friends, ect.? No, never.

It is just a short text from the conversation but this made me to think a lot. I understood how personal purposes of being here really are for all of us. And why i could not recall with idea of reincarnations as to grow or develope spiritually. This sounds so far away for me. Just simply because its nothing to do with my own life.
    I share this with you just because i think that there is not only me who is strugling when topic comes to reincarnation.
    I understand now better why i came here to earth at almost same time like Michel, same continent, why we both appeared at same time in a far away place (from my home and his home). And its funny because normally to this place people go when they do not want to meet anyone :) Its known and visited by really not much people. After some time when we met Michel even said that he saw an angel one time. Few years ago before we met he almost died in one of mountain rivers. Here, where we met, where we live now last years. He described this angel and in the end he said: it was you. I saw you back then.
    Since then we were in love which is hard to describe. To my own saddness and horrible pain, waters which gave him image of me took him "away" from me. But i see this as an exam for our love. Im sure 100 % that we pass it as our love grows with every single heart beat.

Last edited: May 12, 2018
    Widdershins3, SashaS and Bill Z like this.