1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Afterlife Forums is an online, interactive community designed to give seekers direct access to prominent researchers, to afterlife literature, and to one another in order to foster both spiritual growth and public interest in life after death.

Question about reincarnation

Discussion in 'General Afterlife Discussions' started by ForHarley, Feb 18, 2018.

1. Jimmy

Jimmy New Member

I think if this were possible, then we would have to believe our lives were predestined, that there would be very little free will. You couldn't have someone want to go back to the 1600s and live a new life. They would have to step into and follow the path of that life as it happened. Otherwise your getting into all kinds of Marty McFly complications. Although say that was the case, what about the soul who already lived that life, and that brings another question, can two or more souls experience the same life?

2. bluebird

bluebird Well-Known Member

I agree, that would be hell to me as well. I have no interest in reincarnating, and if it does even occur at all (for which there is no absolute proof, IMHO), then if we do in fact have free will then I will never choose to incarnate again.

That said, if reincarnation does exist then perhaps we don't "give up" our current personality, but instead we augment who we already were with additional experiences, in different lives. Still not something I would want to do, but not (in my opinion, at least) quite as daunting as losing everything about who you were.

Personally, I do not hold the opinion that "...we are all a part of a greater consciousness...", etc. I think it's possible that we are all connected in some way(s), but I do not believe that we are all "one". I also do not believe in a god/deity, so in my opinion we are not all just aspects of god/consciousness/source/whatever, as I do not believe any such thing exists.

Of course, since no one can know any of this for sure, everything I've said above are my beliefs and opinions; none are proven, nor provable -- not mine, not anyone else's. But since you asked for thoughts on this matter, those are mine. ;)

enby likes this.
  3. mac

mac senior member Staff Member

If you do a little research, read the compiled guidance from teachers widely acknowledged as spiritually-advanced, you'll gain some insight into how life, death and the so-called afterlife work. The fantasy of notions concerning multiple lives - reincarnation - may then seem less important than what you will find. Information that may affect the way you approach your life right now.

Back To The Future is a great movie but the situations portrayed there are for entertainment. I've heard of nothing to suggest that there are any such complications as you've suggested. And nothing to suggest that the answer to you final question is yes.... ;)

4. ForHarley

ForHarley New Member

Such thoughtful replies!

5. ForHarley

ForHarley New Member

How do y'all (because I'm a Texan, LOL) reconcile the concept of reincarnation with the concept of the summerland? There is an incredibly captivating NDE experience video with Amy Call where she talks about two different experiences happening at one time... she has a hard time explaining this and putting it into words. She describes one experience where she is herself in a room full of other people who have just died, and another experience where it seems like she is basically interacting with a higher self or source type being. Again, she talks about how it was like she experienced both at the same time.

Do y'all think it is possible that each personality (aspect) of the higher self gets it own summerland, but at the same time we are also aware that we are a part of a higher self, similar to the two experiences that Amy Call describes as having simultaneously? This feels right to me.

Here is the video. It is worth the watch!

Thank you all!

Shawn

Last edited: Feb 18, 2018