1. Afterlife Forums is an online, interactive community designed to give seekers direct access to prominent researchers, to afterlife literature, and to one another in order to foster both spiritual growth and public interest in life after death.

Question about reincarnation

Discussion in 'General Afterlife Discussions' started by ForHarley, Feb 18, 2018.

1. ForHarley

ForHarley New Member

I have been reading a lot about reincarnation lately and I'm having an existential crisis. What happens to MY personality and the ones that I love? When I reincarnate, I just choose to leave all that behind, become someone else, die again and reunite with loved ones that are loved by this new personality, all the while my current personality (the ME of right now) is just a former personality? What happened to the personality before my current personality? I don't want to see their loved ones when I cross, I want to see MINE. Am I being clear? This is complex.

Is it possible that we are misunderstanding reincarnation in that it is not a succession of lives and breaks, but rather that we are all a part of a greater consciousness, which divides like a cell divides to make a new personality/soul/spirit, and we're a part of it in the way that we are all a part of a system, but the individual personality does not end, but continues to develop in the afterlife?

Frankly, the idea that we die and are with our loved ones, but then at some point we decide to just give up OUR PERSONALITIES and OUR RELATIONSHIPS to become a part of someone new sounds like hell to me. That would be hell to me.

Any thoughts on this?

Shawn

2. STEVEN LEVEE

STEVEN LEVEE Member

Hey For,
    You have 1 & only one true self/personality/soul/spirit...whatever you want to call it. Nothing ever happens to it...it is you...it is eternal...
    When/if you reincarnate...you are the same soul. You & all your loved ones...stay the same as they are/were/will be. It is up to you IF you want to reincarnate. You have total free will to do what you want to do. The reason for coming to the physical life is for progression of our individual spirits. You can choose to stay on the other side & progress or can come here & progress...and go back & forth...it's up to you. I've heard it said that coming to the physical plane speeds up soul progression. Your last paragraph would be hell, wouldn't it??? I'm happy to tell you that is NOT the way it is at all:)!!
    Steve

kim marine, ForHarley and Cute Bear like this.
  3. RobertaGrimes

RobertaGrimes Administrator

Reincarnation is made much harder for us to grasp by the fact that both science and religion have fixed in our minds so many plain untruths! The truth is difficult to understand while we are in bodies, but we can approximate an understanding. For example:

1) Linear time does not objectively exist. It is a mere artifact of this material universe, which is in itself a tiny part of what exists. But those not in bodies are happily comfortable with the use of flexible and non-linear time in ways that we cannot imagine, so for now we can be content to know that once we go home it will make sense to us, too.

2) There is only one of us here. All our minds are inextricably part of the one Source Mind, and the separation we seem to feel from others is just another part of the illusory reality that we agree to deal with in coming here. Once we go home again, we seem to universally love the fact that we are all one! The more we grow spiritually, the more we work collectively. I have never heard of an advanced being who had any particular attachment to any past life, since without the details of those little lives we are in fact so very much greater!

3) Our loved ones are our loved ones forever. We have so many eternal friends, and they tend to incarnate with us repeatedly: a marital partner in this life, a child or a parent in another life, and so on. One of my daughters was my wife in a previous life to which I once was regressed (apparently I am nearly always male). Knowing that seems to creep her out a bit, but to me it just explains why I felt such an immediate affinity to her from her birth. Love is all that matters!

4) We come to earth with active access to just a tiny part of our great eternal minds. Science calls the rest our "subconscious" but in fact it is a super-conscious - it is who we really are! - and while we are here, we have so little awareness of it. So just assume that you will understand all of this once you go home and reclaim your eternal mind; and meanwhile, trust in the fact that at the base of everything is perfect love for you in particular. You have nothing to fear!

5) While we are here, we are driven by a false self that A Course in Miracles calls "the ego." That false self is fear-based, and it thinks pretty much the way you are expressing yourself now, Shawn: it considers just about every aspect of reincarnation and spiritual progress to be an object of terror, as well it should, because your spiritual growth is going to mean its death! I did ACIM through the process that it calls "the undoing of the ego," and it was the most terrifying thing that I have ever experienced. Your ego - your false self - fights hard to survive! It makes you think that these fears are your own, when in fact they are the ego's fears. It generally fixes on your own deepest fear, which for many of us - as it was for me - is the fear of loss of awareness. Extinction. Back then, merging with the Source was called "the second death," and we believed that it would mean personal extinction (now we know this isn't true); so all I could think was that trying to grow spiritually was stupid if it would bring me closer to really and forever dying! The ego makes you think that you are about to lose who you really are, when it is really just that false self that is dying. Not you - never you! But for months, as I tried to fight through it, I battled a panic that I never have felt before or since. With the encouragement of my ACIM study group, I continued to fight the ego despite the fact that the more I did that, the more panicked I became. Then one amazing morning I woke up in utter peace. The morning sunlight in my room was God's light. I knew that I had just been told, "You will never lose awareness. You will have God's awareness." I knew at the deepest level that was true. I AM the Source! I am eternal. My ego was gone, and it never has returned. I have grown by leaps since that blessed day, and I have never again been afraid of anything!

I don't know whether I am suggesting that you do ACIM, Shawn, but if what I have said resonates with you then perhaps you should. Please just know that every one of your fears is groundless, and that what actually happens is that you and those you love most are going through a glorious eternity together. All really is well!

4. Jimmy

Jimmy New Member

One thing I always wondered about reincarnation is if we could be two people at the same time? If time does not exist as we know it, then when we finish this life, and get up there, could we decide then to reincarnate in a period in the past, or in the same period from where we just came? Could there be three or more of us around the world? If so, what if we were to interact? Or maybe it doesn't work that way, maybe it does follow the rules of time.

5. RobertaGrimes

Others have wondered the same thing. While there is some minimal anecdotal evidence that this might be possible, I haven't seen anything convincing. One of the things I look forward to definitively settling once I graduate back to home is all these little details about reincarnation!

6. Jimmy

Jimmy New Member

I think if this were possible, then we would have to believe our lives were predestined, that there would be very little free will. You couldn't have someone want to go back to the 1600s and live a new life. They would have to step into and follow the path of that life as it happened. Otherwise your getting into all kinds of Marty McFly complications. Although say that was the case, what about the soul who already lived that life, and that brings another question, can two or more souls experience the same life?

7. bluebird

bluebird Well-Known Member

I agree, that would be hell to me as well. I have no interest in reincarnating, and if it does even occur at all (for which there is no absolute proof, IMHO), then if we do in fact have free will then I will never choose to incarnate again.

That said, if reincarnation does exist then perhaps we don't "give up" our current personality, but instead we augment who we already were with additional experiences, in different lives. Still not something I would want to do, but not (in my opinion, at least) quite as daunting as losing everything about who you were.

Personally, I do not hold the opinion that "...we are all a part of a greater consciousness...", etc. I think it's possible that we are all connected in some way(s), but I do not believe that we are all "one". I also do not believe in a god/deity, so in my opinion we are not all just aspects of god/consciousness/source/whatever, as I do not believe any such thing exists.

Of course, since no one can know any of this for sure, everything I've said above are my beliefs and opinions; none are proven, nor provable -- not mine, not anyone else's. But since you asked for thoughts on this matter, those are mine. ;)

enby likes this.
  8. mac

mac senior member Staff Member

If you do a little research, read the compiled guidance from teachers widely acknowledged as spiritually-advanced, you'll gain some insight into how life, death and the so-called afterlife work. The fantasy of notions concerning multiple lives - reincarnation - may then seem less important than what you will find. Information that may affect the way you approach your life right now.

Back To The Future is a great movie but the situations portrayed there are for entertainment. I've heard of nothing to suggest that there are any such complications as you've suggested. And nothing to suggest that the answer to you final question is yes.... ;)

9. ForHarley

ForHarley New Member

Such thoughtful replies!

10. ForHarley

ForHarley New Member

How do y'all (because I'm a Texan, LOL) reconcile the concept of reincarnation with the concept of the summerland? There is an incredibly captivating NDE experience video with Amy Call where she talks about two different experiences happening at one time... she has a hard time explaining this and putting it into words. She describes one experience where she is herself in a room full of other people who have just died, and another experience where it seems like she is basically interacting with a higher self or source type being. Again, she talks about how it was like she experienced both at the same time.

Do y'all think it is possible that each personality (aspect) of the higher self gets it own summerland, but at the same time we are also aware that we are a part of a higher self, similar to the two experiences that Amy Call describes as having simultaneously? This feels right to me.

Here is the video. It is worth the watch!

Thank you all!

Shawn

Last edited: Feb 18, 2018
  11. bluebird

Thank you very much for posting that video; I found it intriguing and hopeful. :)

ForHarley likes this.
  12. ForHarley

ForHarley New Member

awww good, you're welome!

13. mac

The video - I understand - is about near death experience. This thread is about reincarnation. The former subject doesn't involve death - the latter does. There's a significant difference and caution is deserved to avoid conflating the two.

14. Cute Bear

Cute Bear Banned

NDEs after clinical death https://truththeory.com/2013/08/17/...after-clinical-death-now-grounded-in-science/

Possibly you have a different perspective on the term "death"? I could see that "death" might mean never returning to the physical vessel. Is that correct?

Amore likes this.
  15. RobertaGrimes

There is no evidence of paired beings in a single body. We plan our lives, but in living them we do have free will! And Jimmy, the fact that time is not objectively real has some amazing implications. Prepare to have your mind blown ;-). There is strong evidence that since time is not real, also history is not linear, and all our lives and all of history are happening at once... and all our lives are affecting all our other lives. For example, people can be progressed to a FUTURE life, and sometimes a trauma is found there in the FUTURE that affects this present life. I have written about this topic elsewhere, and don't have time to do it now, but there are some wonderful implications!

kim marine and STEVEN LEVEE like this.
  16. Jimmy

Jimmy New Member

This is mind blowing, trying to better understand it, thanks for sharing.

17. pandora97

pandora97 Active Member

Roberta, can you tell us where?

18. genewardsmith

genewardsmith Active Member

I don't see how the validity of such a progression would be verified. However, science does have some interesting things to say about time, one being quantum retrocausality. Here's a phys.org article about that:

https://phys.org/news/2017-07-physicists-retrocausal-quantum-theory-future.html

19. RobertaGrimes

Well, we have come trust the principle because:

1) It seems to work just as past-life regression works, including the immediate relief from the problem or phobia; and

2) As more people are progressed, the "future" time-periods are proving to be consistent. Most notably. about 200 years from now things have fallen severely apart! Interestingly, my primary guide, Thomas, has also talked about this, and he says it is that Armageddon-like world just ahead that is the reason why the upper-level beings are working so rigorously now to raise this planet's consciousness vibration.

kim marine and pandora97 like this.
  20. mac

Have you written much on ALF about this, Roberta? If not, would you please?

21. genewardsmith

genewardsmith Active Member

If they are working to prevent such a world from happening, it can't be the actual future people are being progressed to, but a possible future.

22. mac

One of several, perhaps many, potential futures....

Are we back to 'Back To The Future'.....????

23. pandora97

pandora97 Active Member

:D

24. RobertaGrimes

I'm sure I have... just not sure where! No time now, but I'll try to find the time....

25. mac

no matter - I'll take a look myself but I just couldn't remember if you'd posted the material recently here on ALF.

26. Widdershins3

Widdershins3 Active Member

When I was much younger, I had a "dream" that was just as real and un-dream-like as my past life dreams, but it was set in the future. I was a farm girl living in the ruins of a technologically advanced society that had been destroyed by natural disasters and war. There was nothing dream-like about it and my life was hard-scrabble subsistence farming with my family and the group to which we belonged.

No time for formal schooling and hard physical labor from sun-up to sundown from early childhood defined my limited life. My favorite times were when we went to a warehouse some distance away that had been set up as a sort of museum of artifacts from the past Golden Age that had survived the terrible destruction. I especially loved the beautiful furniture, with its fine fabric upholstery and polished wood. Our farm furniture was simply made by the adults and had no ornamentation. I would stand in front of one particular old wing chair with faded pink damask satin upholstery and admire it until my siblings dragged me away.

The implications of that "dream" still intrigue me. How "set" is the future, really?

27. bluebird

I don't know the answer to your question, but I do find the situation you described from your dream intriguing.

28. mac

It sounds like a movie plot. Can our minds conjure such stories up and present them the way you've described? Might that be how some authors/script-writers get their ideas?

29. Widdershins3

Widdershins3 Active Member

Or an idea for a post-apocalyptic science fiction book. But it had that difficult-to-describe quality of being exactly like a memory that my past-life dreams all had. Also, like them, it's still sharp and clear in my memory, when I've had and forgotten thousands of normal dreams since then. Also, in my regular dreams, I'm me, but in these other lifetime ones I'm a distinctly different person, sometimes very unlike my self in this lifetime. Sometimes in the undreamlike dreams, I have a brief shock when I look down at my own hand and it's not my present one. In the future life one, I saw my whole arm and hand that were deeply tanned and somewhat scarred from the hard farm labor I'd done...and I was so young. It was so surprising that I still recall it vividly and can see that girl's arm in my mind's eye after 60 years!

Since I almost wrote a novel based upon the lifetime as a half-Chinese girl, I'm quite sure that a number of writers plumb their dreams for ideas. Some do it knowingly, but most I suspect are unaware that they're writing a story they've at least partially lived long ago. We're currently watching a TV show called The Alienist that has such a gritty, genuine feel to its period (late Victorian) and place (New York City) that I've wondered more than once if Caleb Carr, the author of the book on which it's based, might not have been alive then.

30. RobertaGrimes

Apparently the future is not set at all. And neither is the past, since all of time is happening at once in the greater reality. What is more, all of these times - past and future - are influencing one another, for good or for ill! So the devastated future just 200 years from now that my guide, Thomas, showed to me three years ago was only the POSSIBLE future. He stressed that. He also showed me an alternative future 200 years from now that was based upon our taking seriously our need to raise the consciousness vibration of this planet; and that future literally looked like heaven, full of gardens and incredible beauty. It really is up to us....

I wrote a blog post in April of 2014 called "Historical Revisionism" that talks about the implications of the fact that all times on earth influence all other times. It's here. You might enjoy it!

Widdershins3 likes this.