1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Afterlife Forums is an online, interactive community designed to give seekers direct access to prominent researchers, to afterlife literature, and to one another in order to foster both spiritual growth and public interest in life after death.

Psychopathy

Discussion in 'Spiritual Growth & Development' started by Convolution, Dec 6, 2018.

1. innerperson

innerperson Member

That isn't even close to what she was saying. I do hope you are not purposely twisting her words to make them into something they are clearly not.

2. bluebird

bluebird Regular Contributor

I agree that psychopaths are often charming -- but that's not a matter of opinion, it's something that has been studied and proven. I do not agree, however, with his premise that souls incarnate as male psychopaths in order to "succeed" with women. I find that idea beyond ludicrous. It was also offensive and incorrect that he assumed male psychopaths would be "successful" with women, without acknowledging that female psychopaths would be "successful" with men. Not to mention that the same would be true in same-sex relationships of either gender.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2018
  3. bluebird

I am not. That is exactly what she was saying. If it was not what she actually believes or meant, then she misspoke, as the language and phrasing she chose to use does equate the two.

4. innerperson

innerperson Member

BB, I am only commenting on Nirvana's post that you didn't agree with. You can be offended by whatever you choose to be offended. It is truth, though. Psychopaths have certain characteristics that many women find attractive. It is easy to be successful when you don't care. It is easy to manipulate people (women are in that people category) when you don't care. It is easy to feel confident when you don't care.

I would suggest reading up on it instead of being offended.

No, she didn't say all confident men are psychopaths. She did say psychopaths tend to be confident and dominating. People can share the same characteristics with psychopaths without being one. I imagine you already know this. Many successful people are clinically psychopaths. That doesn't mean they are bad people and it doesn't mean all successful people are psychopaths.

Edited to add: I took Nirvana's post as a joke. After thinking about it a little more, there may be some truth to it. I can see how being popular with the opposite sex can help you spiritually grow. Not only in how you treat others, but also how you perceive yourself.

5. RobertaGrimes

RobertaGrimes Administrator

Dear Innerperson, Bluebird and I agree about precisely nothing, so I appreciate your efforts very much but there is little point in continuing yet one more pointless and entirely off-topic back-and-forth. Our friend BB and I are potayto-potahto. She seems to enjoy that fact considerably more than I do, but I have learned that she will respect the barriers so I just let her go on. Thank you for your efforts, however!

6. innerperson

innerperson Member

Gotcha! haha My apologies for my participation in the off topic banter. I know it distracts from the goal of the site. :) I always found the topic interesting.

7. bluebird

I understand that psychopaths have certain characteristics that many people find attractive -- that is why so many of them are, unfortunately, able to use and abuse others. That attraction is not gender-based, however, and Nirvana's comment was, hence the sexism of his comment.

I agree with you that people can be confident, even dominating, without being psychopathic. I also agree with you that it is possible to be psychopathic and not necessarily be a bad person; a good example of this is that of neuroscientist James Fallon, who discovered he is a psychopath while studying psychopathy (it's an interesting read: https://www.smithsonianmag.com/scie...who-discovered-he-was-a-psychopath-180947814/).

However, what Roberta said was: "Oh dear Bluebird, I understand how devoutly you wish that women did not find confident and dominant men attractive! But it ever has been thus, and it ever will be thus. Our dear Nirvana simply was pointing out what is a basic fact."

For some odd reason she assumed she knew how I felt about women who find confident and dominant men attractive. I have no idea why she thought that I "devoutly" wished they didn't, lol, as that it absolutely not how I feel about it. I really had never given the matter much thought at all, as who/what other people are attracted to is none of my concern, nor does it bother me in the least, so long as everyone involved is a consenting adult.

She also then assumed that women are always attracted to "confident and dominant men", which is a massive generalization, and a sexist one. Yes, many people, regardless of gender, tend to find confidence attractive. Dominance, however, is much less universally admired -- some people find it attractive, some don't. Again, that is regardless of gender. Again, while it is certainly possible to be a confident person, even a dominant one, that is a trait shared by many men and many women, and does not necessarily indicated psychopathy. However, psychopathy is what we are actually discussing here.

Finally, she said that Nirvana had "simply [pointed] out what is a basic fact". What Nirvana actually said was "I agree that [psychopathy] is likely chosen by males before birth not just to learn specific lessons but to ensure success with women as well." That is by no means a fact, it is an opinion, and because it specifies that Nirvana believes souls choose to incarnate as male psychopaths in order to, in part, "ensure success with women" it is a sexist opinion.

8. RobertaGrimes

RobertaGrimes Administrator

Dear BB, I am about to say another thing that you won't like. "Sexism," like "racism" and a lot of other -isms that those on our left so dearly love to use to attack people whose opinions they find uncomfortable, is a crap word now, so overused as a way to attack people baselessly that it has come to mean nothing. I remember sexism. Sexism damaged my early life. Sexism was certainly not a friend of mine! But what Nirvana said was not sexism in any meaningful sense of the word. Good grief.

9. bluebird

Not surprisingly, I completely disagree with your opinions on this matter. Thankfully.