1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Afterlife Forums is an online, interactive community designed to give seekers direct access to prominent researchers, to afterlife literature, and to one another in order to foster both spiritual growth and public interest in life after death.

Psychopathy

Discussion in 'Spiritual Growth & Development' started by Convolution, Dec 6, 2018.

1. poeticblue

poeticblue member

I was thinking Roberta was being sarcastic ;)

Last edited: Dec 10, 2018
  2. bluebird

bluebird Major Contributor

Ah. If that is the case, then I apologize.

3. RobertaGrimes

RobertaGrimes Administrator

... Dear Bluebird, I am of the very first generation of feminists. I worked hard for it, and I made my life work even though for my whole youth and into middle age I was breaking down barriers. Always with patience and kindness! And those barriers did indeed come down.

The "feminists" of today are repugnant to me on every level, disparaging the work that my generation did for them and throwing it back in not just our faces but also in the faces of every member of the human race that does not hate men for being men.

I love women. I love men. I celebrate the fact that in our very natures we are complementary, and I do not want men, especially, ever to stop being as wonderful on every level as they are!

When I was young and battling with young men about the ongoing changes in gender roles, I would retort to them that our goal was to be "equal but better." I want to apologize to every one of them now. I didn't mean it! I was kidding - I swear! But because of this monstrous cancer that "feminism" has become, it is happening now anyway. :-(.

4. bluebird

Roberta,

I agree that women and men are equal; neither is superior, neither is inferior.

I completely disagree with your view on feminism.

Regardless of what either of us thinks of feminism, Nirvana's comment was sexist.

5. RobertaGrimes

It was not sexist if this particular problem is more common in men than it is in women, and I seem to recall that it is. No time to look it up, but if that is in fact the case then I was applauding not just his stick in the eye of the man-haters, but also his having brought up a relevant point.

6. bluebird

I am not sure if psychopathy occurs more often in men, or if it is just noticed more often in men, or if it occurs equally in men and women -- but that wasn't really what was sexist about Nirvana's comment.

What was sexist was his assumption that psychopathy in men would make them attractive to women and make them "successful" with women (whatever that means....sex? dating? marriage?), without also realizing or stating that the same would be true if the genders were reversed.

Unfortunately, many psychopaths do tend to seem superficially charming, and they are often able to "draw people in" and use them. But that isn't specific to gender, gender identity, or sexual orientation -- it's specific (to that high degree) to psychopathy.

7. Convolution

Convolution Established Member

It's not certainty. It's just evidence. Future studies can further elaborate on, and agree with, the results, or refute them. That is the beauty of study.
    If we were all truly certain, there would be no reason to study or learn.

I'd also like to point out that you asked for the evidence. I simply provided it.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2018
    bluebird likes this.
  8. RobertaGrimes

Oh dear Bluebird, I understand how devoutly you wish that women did not find confident and dominant men attractive! But it ever has been thus, and it ever will be thus. Our dear Nirvana simply was pointing out what is a basic fact.

9. innerperson

innerperson New Member

In other words, you agree with Nirvana. :)

10. bluebird

Roberta,

You do not understand me at all. I do not mind or wish away any attraction between consenting adults. Different people find different traits attractive in a mate, which is wonderful and as it should be. Many women and men find confident men and women attractive, of course. It is rather odd that you think every woman is always attracted to dominant men, though, and that "it ever has been thus"...some are, some aren't, just as some men are, and some aren't. You should be mindful/careful of assuming that everyone else shares your preferences.

That you equate "confident and dominant men" with psychopaths is deeply troubling, however. There is a massive, oceans-wide difference between the two.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2018
    Convolution likes this.