1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Afterlife Forums is an online, interactive community designed to give seekers direct access to prominent researchers, to afterlife literature, and to one another in order to foster both spiritual growth and public interest in life after death.

Psychopathy

Discussion in 'Spiritual Growth & Development' started by Convolution, Dec 6, 2018 at 8:59 AM.

1. Convolution

Convolution Active Member

Hi, it's a bit of a strange topic, I know. I'd like to understand how psychopathy fits into spiritual growth.
    From what I've read, many believe that we choose the lives we'll lead, families we'll have.
    Others believe it's a more random process of reincarnation.

Either way, it seems like landing into the body of a psychopath (one with ASPD, born without the ability to feel empathy or normal emotions) would be equivalent to signing up for a life of potentially causing a lot of harm, without any capacity for remorse while in the body.
    To me, it seems a bit counter productive and detrimental to either spiritual growth or helping mankind forward (from a spiritual point of view). A lot more risk than reward.

Is anyone aware of how they fit into spirituality, and also perhaps why anyone would choose to reincarnate in a body like that?

Also, how do you think other psychological disorders such as narcissism and sociopath (learned antisocial personality) fit into spirituality? How do any of these contribute to our own spiritual growth? Same reasons in different degrees?

Last edited: Dec 6, 2018 at 10:33 AM
  2. bluebird

bluebird Well-Known Member

Personally, I don't think anyone chooses to be born a psychopath. Some people are just unfortunately born with or develop mental illness. I'm sure other members will have various other opinions.

3. Convolution

So you believe that, provided reincarnation is a reality, we don't pick our bodies/traits, etc. That it's a random process. Is that correct?

4. bluebird

Well, to begin with I don't know if reincarnation is a reality or not. But either way, whether we live one life or multiple lives, I think that while we may choose some things, we don't choose everything. I don't believe we create "charts" by which we live our lives, or that we choose all of the major events which happen to us. I don't know if we choose our families. My best guess is that if there is an afterlife/beforelife at all, a concept about which I am agnostic, then maybe some of us pre-select some things, sometimes. Just my opinion.

5. Convolution

Got it.
    I just wonder, assuming that we do choose some traits, why anyone would choose to be born into a body without the capacity for empathy. Was curious if that is addressed anywhere in literature.

6. RobertaGrimes

RobertaGrimes Administrator

I'm sure it is! There is extensive literature on life-planning. In particular, I recommend Rob Schwartz's book on the subject, Soul Plan.

None of what you assume here is correct. Reincarnation is the opposite of random! And yes, we have detailed research. You should read some of the books in the bibliography I sent to you.

7. Convolution

I wasn't assuming- I was checking whether that is what was meant in the previous post :D

Going back to the original question, why would a person choose to use a body without the capacity for empathy as a vehicle for spiritual growth?

Last edited: Dec 10, 2018 at 1:24 AM
  8. RobertaGrimes

If that capacity is an aspect of the body, then perhaps. It would be a pretty difficult thing to overcome! But I have seen no evidence at all that personality traits are related to the body so directly. What is the evidence behind your question?

9. bluebird

In my opinion, no one would. For the sake of argument, though, let me assume for the moment that someone would. The only reason of which I can really conceive for that possibility is that perhaps the person feels that s/he can somehow advance the study of psychology if s/he allows her/himself to be studied. However, most psychopaths are never diagnosed, since most of them don't become serial killers or the like, so the odds of any one psychopathic individual being studied and therefore helping to advance the understanding of psychopathy isn't very high.
    All my opinion, of course.

Convolution likes this.
  10. RobertaGrimes

Yes, good point. My point is that psychopathy is an aspect of the mind and not of the body, and I can think of some complex reasons why it might arise as a result of life-planning.

11. Convolution

We've found some evidence towards psychopathy being genetic.
    Here is a study finding a link:
    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2242349/
    It also has a visible impact on neurological structure, such that often the more reliable way of discovering a psychopath is via study of the brain.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2018 at 1:40 AM
  12. Convolution

I'd love to understand the reasons you're thinking of. Could it be a test of some kind, to be able to live a productive life without empathy (more distance from spirit) while doing no harm? No idea. Just grasping at straws.