1. Afterlife Forums is an online, interactive community designed to give seekers direct access to prominent researchers, to afterlife literature, and to one another in order to foster both spiritual growth and public interest in life after death.
    Dismiss Notice

Proof

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussions' started by jimrich, Nov 23, 2017.

1. jimrich

jimrich Active Member

I have long labored over how to prove to a (fearful) skeptic that the afterlife is real and that folks do in fact survive death. My new fiance is somewhat skeptical and does not "feel" Dis-incarnates or "invisible" stuff (she's a Scorpio) but she is religious and Christian so I'm considering taking her to a Spiritualist church near here where Christianity and Spirituality is offered by the psychic ministers. I'm wondering how any of you have gone about convincing or at least educating a (fearful) skeptic about the after life and life after death, etc? Did it ever work to help a frightened skeptic "get it"? Did you ever have someone accept the abstract fact of life after death or the after life? If yes, did the skeptic totally accept that fact or reject it later on? Once I came to know a Dis-incarnate (my grandfather) it was impossible to go back to doubting or rejecting that fact.
    All I can do is try. I'll let you know how it turns out................

2. mac

mac senior member Staff Member

Should we even try to convince or educate others? Isn't it better to 'lay the table' and allow them to take from it whatever appeals to their reason?

bluebird and SashaS like this.
  3. jimrich

jimrich Active Member

We should do whatever we deem to be right or reasonable!

4. RobertaGrimes

RobertaGrimes Administrator

You can never convince anyone whose mind is not open! I am married (for 45 years) to a strict practicing Catholic. I count it to be progress that he no longer tells me that I'm going to hell ;-).

5. SashaS

SashaS New Member

My husband was a Scorpio too. He also wasn't a AFL believer. When we were in hospital days ago before he passed we saw a magazine about a surgery for the head transplant. We were joking together about the identity of the person. There we started a discussion about AFL. I was a believer that lifes continues but only that. I said to him that I have been with my dad and my mom in their last moments and I strongly believe that their spirit still lives. He answered that let me presume that the spirit survive, what about my consciousness? Am I going to be the same person? I didn't know what to say to him.
    Some months ago after he passed for the first time I saw him in a clear dream right to that question we left beyond. He told me that you were right! Life goes on!
    I think too that people should accept by their reason.

6. mac

Whatever one individual deems 'right' or 'reasonable' isn't the acid test for deciding if you should be attempting to change the approach or viewpoint of others.

And there are many behaviors that ordinary folk - society if you wish - don't consider right or reasonable even if a particular individual does. eg PIE members' behavior

7. jimrich

jimrich Active Member

OUCH!

8. jimrich

jimrich Active Member

What do YOU deem: right and/or reasonable? Please speak for your self.

9. SashaS

SashaS New Member

I don't think that we are not in the incarnate for the reason to believe or not in AFL. That's why I don't think we have to convience anybody about that.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2017
  10. mac

I do not deem what is right or reasonable outside of the basic considerations we apply generally in life. BUT I would not consider it right or reasonable to try to influence or educate someone else based on my ideas and I apply a similar principle to the ideas and beliefs of others. I much prefer that others make up their mind based on what appeals to their reason, no matter how much that may be different from my own.

I invariably speak for myself but reserve the right to challenge and question the approach of others, just as I respect the right of others to challenge and question my own.

And I reserve the same right as yourself to judge whether a behavior is right or reasonable and to say so.

11. mac

Roberta did use the wink icon, the leg-pull sense.... She's serious about what she says but saying it with humor. She's the last person to have concerns about anyone telling her she'll be going to hell - lol, lol, lol, lol :D

12. mac

As I'm a very ordinary, non-special member of society I consider myself pretty au fait with its general feelings on unreasonable behaviors. So I feel comfortable speaking for others too when it comes to behaviors such as those exhibited by members of - for example - the PIE. I'm speaking for myself but also mindful of the views of others.

13. bluebird

bluebird Well-Known Member

I very much agree.

14. kim marine

kim marine Member

I believe there is only one spirit that gives life. How that spirit experiences itself is by creating something from consciousness, and what consciousness is; is a mystery.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2017
  15. jimrich

jimrich Active Member

Hey Roberta, is this true?

16. jimrich

jimrich Active Member

:)

17. RobertaGrimes

Of course! There is no hell, so why would I fear it? And my husband never actually believed that I was going to hell, even though that was what his religion would have decreed; he just at first found it difficult to deal with my increasingly frank criticisms of Christianity. It was cognitive dissonance for him, in the extreme! But we're fine. I'm glad that he has a faith walk, even though his is no longer mine.

18. jimrich

jimrich Active Member

What's "a faith walk"? Re: "no longer mine.".....where is he now?

19. RobertaGrimes

A "faith walk" is a Christian term for a personal way to relate to God. And, where is he now? At the moment he is cooking dinner. Why do you ask? Oh... well, HE is still mine, but the way in which he relates to God - which is Catholicism - no longer works for me.

20. mac

:);)