1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Afterlife Forums is an online, interactive community designed to give seekers direct access to prominent researchers, to afterlife literature, and to one another in order to foster both spiritual growth and public interest in life after death.

Pre-Death Experience (PDE)

Discussion in 'Afterlife Evidence' started by Knightofalbion, Apr 27, 2012.

1. A NDE is usually the result of an accident or surgery. You as good as die but because it isn't your 'time' you come back to tell the tale.
    With a PDE it is your time, or at least it's a sign that your 'time' is approaching..

Here are 3 PDEs from a wonderful book called 'The Art of Dying' by Dr Peter Fenwick and Elizabeth Fenwick....

'Suddenly my Gran sat up in bed and smiled. She said "I'm going now and here's Dad and George come to meet me".
    She then died still with this big smile on her face. My mother never forgot it.'

'My uncle served in the First World War and experienced the horrors of the Somme, which lived with him for the rest of his life.
    He had led a group of men, returned with only three survivors and was badly injured himself.
    He was awarded the Military Cross.
    It was around 30 years ago, when he was dying of cancer, that the following event took place.
    During his illness my mother cared for him at home and I remember one evening we were sitting with him and talking quietly.
    He was too ill to contribute much to the conversation but he liked to hear us chatting.
    Suddenly he leaned forward and stared across the room. He became very animated and looked very happy as he began to talk to people he could obviously see but we couldn't.
    He was calling them each by name and asking how they were and how wonderful it was to see them.
    It became apparent from what he was saying that they served with him at the Somme and had died there.
    There was a look of wonderment on his face and he forgot his pain.
    I will never forget that night and though I couldn't see his friends, I have no doubt they were there.
    I didn't see him conscious again and he died a couple of days later.'

'My mother's face lit up with joy. She smiled the most marvellous smile. She seemed to come alive.
    She suddenly sat up in bed, her arms out towards someone, with a great look of happiness and then after a pause sank back on the pillow and died not long after.'

2. RobertaGrimes

RobertaGrimes Administrator

What a wonderful topic to raise, dear Knight! It is apparent from the evidence that for the dying to see deceased loved ones who have come for them is a universal event - unless we are heavily sedated, it happens to us all. The seminal book on this topic is Deathbed Visions by Sir William Barrett, which was published in 1926 and where this term was coined. Back then it was more common for young and healthy people to become ill and to die at home, within days and unsedated; and some of their reported experiences as death approached were extraordinary. In some cases, the walls of the room would seem to them to disappear, and they would recount to family members the beautiful Summerland vistas that they would soon be entering. In 1977, Osis and Haraldsson published At the Hour of Death, in which they summarized the results of a major study of thousands of pre-death experiences (primarily deathbed visions) in India and in the United States. Osis and Haraldsson showed that these experiences were the same in both cultures, and that far from being produced by medication (which had been a favorite theory of debunkers), these experiences could be suppressed considerably if patients were heavily medicated. I urge everyone to read both books! We are told repeatedly by upper-level beings that nobody ever dies alone....

3. I agree Roberta, a great topic to bring up.
    I mentioned on another post that my wife's mother and sister passed on within a few weeks of each other and in both cases we were there and I can personally vouch for the PDE phenomena.

My sister-in-law was confined to a wheelchair after a car accident when she was 15, quadraplegic, metal rod in her back, my wife spent most of her early life, from the age of 10 to 16, caring for her sister, including showering, changing etc. as her parents were fairly incapacitated through alchohol abuse. She also developed an alchohol problem once her compensation money came through and was employing carers who happily partied on her money until it ran out. It was liver failure that took her in the end in her early Thirties. She was heavily medicated in the end and totally helpless, but moments before she passed, she sat bolt upright, fully coherent, and recognised everyone in the room, and then turned to vacant corner of the room, smiled, nodded, lay back down and passed away.

For 6 months prior to my sister-in-laws passing, my mother-in-law was institutionalised in a mental health facility, suffering severe dementure as a result of a very hard life with a violent alchoholic husband. On one occasion he dowsed her in petrol and threatened to set her alite. The number of times we tried to get her to move in with us over the years to no avail as she genuinely feared for her life. Her husband had her put away and unfortunately after the medications and electric shock treatment took effect there was no coming back. My wife and I visited regularly but she didn't recognise us any more so the visits became fewer and fewer. We were notified by the Hospital that her time was coming so we vistited for the last time.

As I mentioned, my sister in law and mother in law were unaware of each others passing but that turned out not to be absolutely the truth. Just before her passing she seemed to have full memory of who we were, something she hadn't displayed for months, conducted a rational conversation, albeit about the bastard that put her there, and then proceeded to converse with her deceased daughter as if she was right there in the room with us. She passed away quietly in her sleep that afternoon.

4. Andrew

Andrew Guest

Thank you very much for sharing these accounts with us! Although people tend to see the moments leading up to death as sad and gloomy, that's usually not how the person dying feels! Typically, he begins to see deathbed visitors hours, sometimes even days, before the death event actually takes place. These visitors communicate with him telepathically, reassuring him that the pain is almost over and comforting him. Sometimes, if the dying is still able to speak, he will do so verbally. This is normally considered to be a sign that the mind is going (or a side effect from the medicine), but neither of those explanations actually make sense. It cannot be the medicine, because medication makes people irrational, loopy, and drowsy. The dying are usually alert and calm when these visions occur. The explanation that these are side effects of the brain's destruction isn't valid either because these people are perfectly rational.

All the accounts you posted here are just wonderful, dear Knight! They are accurate, and truly describe what the dying feel.

Thank you also, Knight, for your suggestion that we add PDE to our Glossary of Terms! It has been added, and the definition we created was based on information that you provided us with! :)

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 28, 2012
  5. Andrew

Andrew Guest

This is exactly what happens, dear Fasaga! Those who suffered from mental problem seem perfectly rational all of a sudden. Even dying people with physical problems seem to feel better as death approaches. In fact, people who are in permanent comas will often wake up, seeming to make a full mental recover. They are calm, rational, and seem to be exactly as they were before the disease/accident. Then, they pass on. This happens so often that, in coma victims, it is seen to be a sign of impending death.

6. Wait till you see what I've got planned for the moment before I cross over, but I still have another 30 to 40 years to put it together ;)

7. Andrew

Andrew Guest

You've planned your last words/actions? Even I haven't gone that far. I do though, have a mental list of things that I am going to do when I cross over - but I've still got another 70 years to wait probably!

8. Party of all time - should see the guest list.

9. Ah! You say that, but nobody can truly say how much longer they have left. The important lesson for everyone to grasp is....

MAKE THE MOST OF NOW.

10. Thank you, dear Roberta and thank you too for the information you've added. You hear plenty about NDEs, though not very much about PDEs. I think such information would be of immeasureable comfort to anyone approaching 'death'.

Even though I've seen them many times before, they - especially the last one - never fail to put a tear in my eye...So beautiful.

11. Andrew

Andrew Guest

It's true -we're just guessing here (or at least I am), but many people do know exactly how long they've got left. There are many documented cases of people repeatedly saying stuff such as "I've only got three years left, you know." even though they are perfectly healthy, and then dying right when they said they would. Some people even know how they are going (or not going) to die. It seems that, when death is coming in the next few years, the subconscious is aware of it at some level. Some people consciously know this, and they know some type of date for their death, while others just start to tie up loose ends, even though they don't know why.

12. That's exactly what happened to my sister in law. She was dying of cancer, in a deep coma given 24 hours to live. To the doctor's astonishment she not only lived a week longer, but came out of the coma and was lucid enough to make peace with her death, say farewell to her family, and even correct the plans to the funeral her partner made for her! Then she passed quietly.

13. Andrew

Andrew Guest

The death process really is amazing, isn't it? :)

14. Birki

Birki Member

My grandmother had a PDE. She died 8 years ago, but I just found out about it recently. She had a heart attack and was only in the hospital a few days before she passed. At one point she said, "What is my father doing here? Tell him I'm not ready to go." This is the same grandmother I also had a communication from in a dream a few months ago. She was 80 when she died. I have a strong feeling I'm going to cross over in a similar manner to her, and at the same age or maybe just a bit older.

15. bbl

bbl

My mother was 83 when she died of pancreatic cancer in 1999. She was going through a phase of being very angry at her mother for divorcing her father when she was 13. I think she was mad at my sweet grandmother most of her life. But before she went into a coma, and was in hospice, she said to me "Oh look how beautiful those women are over there" pointing to a corner of the room. I couldn't see them. And then she said "Oh, I get it, it's all about love and family and mentioned her mother." She went into a coma and passed three days later. I was lucky enough to be with her when she did and all I could think was I was there 7 months earlier when my grandson was born to this side and with her to help her over to the other side.

16. bbl

bbl

About 20 yrs ago I dreamt my own death. I was 84 yrs old in the dream and in a bed with white sheets and my 17 or 18 yr old redheaded grandson was sitting with me. I didn't actually die in the dream but knew I was going the next day. I'm 65 now and my middle daughter is going to be adopting in the near future. It will be interesting to see if it's a redheaded boy!

17. Andrew

Andrew Guest

I am hearing more and more reports of such events before death. I'm glad that this stuff is finally getting some of the spotlight. It seems that all people begin to be subconsciously aware of their impending death starting at least a month before they are going to die. There are some great accounts of this in Lisa William's The Survival of the Soul. Spirit guides help to ensure that we start to settle our earthly affairs - and I'll bet that this forgiving your grandmother was one of the tasks which they presented to your mother, Bbl!

18. I had an uncle who was dying in the hospital. Just before he croaked, he told his daughter who was sitting in the room with him that he could see God right in front of him.

When my grandfather was in the hospital not long before he passed, I was sitting with him and he pointed to the ceiling as though he could see something. I couldn't see anything, but it's possible he did (although I didn't ask him about it).

19. Andrew

Andrew Guest

Hmm...interesting! It's hard to say whether or not this is an authentic message, or just something your brain dreamt up, but it could be either one in my opinion. If they do get a redheaded boy, and the timeline seems to fit, then I would say it's the real deal. It could be that you are meant to know this information, so that you can prepare yourself or your family for your death.

Personally, I have always wanted advanced notice before I pass on. I don't mean twenty years necessarily, but maybe a month or two. I don't mean having a doctor tell me that I am dying - I would like a [preferably direct] sign from Spirit. That way I can set my affairs in order, and prepare for the vacation of a lifetime! :cool:

20. Andrew

Andrew Guest

Do you know anything about your uncle's religious beliefs? We are told that God does not have a physical form that can be seen, but many people do report experiencing a type of being that they call God. My hunch is that these are simply higher beings who come directly from the Source, but who knows? Sometimes, people who religious will also see God as they believe him to be.

Yes, it is almost always the top corner of the room. We don't know why they come in that way, but they do! :) I would say it is almost certain that he saw either advanced helper beings or his deceased friends and family. We are told that the dying gain the ability to see spiritual beings up to days before their death (normally, this happens with the terminally ill in hospitals). Everyone sees someone, but a lot of people are too drugged out to report it to the living (or they just are scared that they'll be considered crazy).