1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Afterlife Forums is an online, interactive community designed to give seekers direct access to prominent researchers, to afterlife literature, and to one another in order to foster both spiritual growth and public interest in life after death.
  1. Lola Hoovler

Lola Hoovler Active Member

For Carol and Mikey: I wondered if Mikey could answer a question for me. Is it possible to effectively pray for deceased souls even if you never met them or had any connection with them in the physical world? In other words, those who might be considered by us as "confused" or "lost" souls? If so, how could this be most effectively accomplished? Conventional prayers derived from various religions seem superficial and not from the heart. What would he say is the best way to accomplish this, if this is indeed possible? I feel that if we are all "one", then praying for someone outside your circle of family and friends shouldn't be impossible, but wondered what Mikey might think. If anyone else on this forum knows anything about this, I would appreciate their input.

2. mac

mac Staff Member

I'm pleased you invited general comment, Lola, because although this thread is primarily 'C&M Q&A' discussions naturally do develop and I would have responded anyway. ;) Carol's away for some time yet so it will be a while before we get Mikey's input which gives us time to share our thoughts.

quote: "Is it possible to effectively pray for deceased souls even if you never met them or had any connection with them in the physical world? In other words, those who might be considered by us as "confused" or "lost" souls?" In a word 'no'.

You could pray but to whom would your prayers be directed, what would you ask for and about whom would you ask, given you don't have any idea who they are? So effective prayer? Hardly a good start.....

I hope ALF members will have heard the message many times that after passing over we're not abandoned, we're not by ourselves - not even those who we might think were loners. So in my view there's little point in asking something that's already in hand. Then, of course, you'd be praying for folk who had no connection with you. It's as pointless as praying for the world to be saved! - from what? Or healed - by whom and from what!

As you've pointed out, Lola, praying by rote is indeed superficial and it's effectively meaningless. I knew of a 'healing group' who asked - after their targeted requests for individual healing intercession - that 'surplus healing energy' would go out to all who needed it. Plain barmy. For prayer to have any chance of being effective there needs to be a link, an intent, an involvement. And what's asked for has to be practicable.

Targeted prayer for a specific intercession, or as a focus for one's personal or group energy to help another, can be effective I feel sure. That focus may also provide a bridge for helpers in an etheric dimension to reach out but in my view praying for unidentified souls in a situation we barely comprehend might make us feel better but would have little if any practical value.

jobun likes this.
  3. Lola Hoovler

Thanks for answering, Mac. I should have made it more clear. Although there has been no physical connection with these people, I do know their names, where they died, and in most cases, when they died, so it really isn't as vague as I seem to have made it sound, which is my fault. In fact, I wanted to take the question off record and reword it, but I guess it's too late now. A couple of books I read have indicated that there are a number of souls who have no one who cares about them and that they could be much helped by prayer, but there is no one to pray for them. It was advised that prayers from the earth plane would be very helpful to their progress.

You are right, of course, when you said that just praying for an unidentified soul would be useless, but again, I do know certain information about them that would identify them as specific individuals. We have been told many times that help is available there, but someone down here caring for their welfare adds a bit more support for them, just like here when strangers help others they have never met. Not everyone who dies leaves behind a loving support system, so the intent would be to let them know they aren't forgotten. It is my understanding that no one needs to pray to a specific entity (such as God, Jesus, the Buddha etc.) as prayers naturally find their way to a specific group or individual that is able to be of service. Again, my apologies for wording my question so badly

4. mac

mac Staff Member

I understand. :)

As you do know something about those individuals, and as you are someone who cares enough to be thinking of their spiritual welfare, then why not send out your thoughts and ask whoever is waiting to help to try again, this time using your energy, your sentiments - your prayers - to 'give a boost' that may finally bring about contact with those 'lost' souls.

You're bang on right that there's no need to address a figure head with your prayers - they'll anyway reach the one(s) who may be able to help. :)

5. Lola Hoovler

I agree 100%. Right now, I'm looking to see if Silver Birch has anything to say about this. I probably won't turn up anything, but it won't hurt to look. I've already had prayers (in the form of help requests) answered in the past with my "to whom it may concern" approach

6. mac

mac Staff Member

Yeah SB did give guidance on prayer but I don't know in which compilation of his teachings you'd find it.

7. Lola Hoovler

Me neither. I think it was in his book "They Shall be Comforted," but since that is out of print, the price went up to $349,00 - Yipes! This is so frustrating.

8. mac

mac Staff Member

I think the subject was also covered in other books as I can't recall reading the one you've mentioned. Out of print books often are priced that way by chancers - it makes me wonder, though, if such prices are kosher or just a scam attempt. If so pretty pointless I'd think as few would be tempted at the price anyway.

9. Lola Hoovler

Out of print books are scarce, and that makes the price go up. I'll wait and see what Mikey has to say, but I think he will more or less agree with what you and I both said. He might even be able to add to it. The problem with looking it up on the internet is that they keep referring everyone to the bible, which starts discussion about souls in purgatory etc..

10. mac

mac Staff Member

I wasn't familiar with the title you've mentioned. I wonder how long it's been out of print. It was a 1936 Barbanell authored book but I have no idea if the copy advertised is that old. Maybe a collector would pay the price but not me. ;)

It will be interesting to read what Mikey says.