1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Afterlife Forums is an online, interactive community designed to give seekers direct access to prominent researchers, to afterlife literature, and to one another in order to foster both spiritual growth and public interest in life after death.

PM...Favorite Form Of Mediumship

Discussion in 'After-Death Communication' started by STEVEN LEVEE, Mar 2, 2018.

1. RobertaGrimes

RobertaGrimes Administrator

Apparently communication requires thinking - we send a bolus of thought from mind to mind - but what seems to be the case is that we feel other people's emotions. I'm not sure about that - I don't think anyone is - but it certainly seems lovely!

2. mac

mac Staff Member

Yes I agree that thinking precedes our communicating in the etheric - that's kinda where we came in several postings back discussing the mechanism of verbal compared to non-verbal communication. ;)

I can't think how the situation was explained (probably by Silver Birch) concerning love/emotions save to say that our emotions apparently can be 'read' by other discarnates, we seemingly appearing 'transparent' (in that regard) compared with the way our physical overcoat conceals many of our emotions.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2018
  3. Zac

Zac New Member

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 21, 2019
    baob, summer826 and Sharon Hill like this.
  4. genewardsmith

genewardsmith Active Member

Thanks for this!

5. STEVEN LEVEE

STEVEN LEVEE New Member

Not sure if this is discussed on this forum at all as I don't see it, but...This is what interested me when I first started exploring...this was the clearest picture I've seen of full form marterialization. Of course it just looks like a real girl coming through some curtains. The Physical Medium (friend of mine) when asked how she knew this was truly an FFM, said: "Because my spirit guide told me it was." Again, I got to know this woman so I believer her...I wouldn't expect any body else to, but...Here it is:

A rare photo of a Spirit Guide or Control : 'Kitty' is one of American medium J B Jonson's guides and materialised at this seance in California in the presence of H T Yaryan - Date: 1902

[​IMG]

6. mac

mac Staff Member

Physical mediumship as witnessed in the past just doesn't seem to happen nowadays. But there again mediumship doesn't seem as commonplace either - unless it's just me who's not aware of it?

7. bluebird

bluebird Major Contributor

mac,

Does "physical mediumship" as you've used it here mean the supposed materialization of spirits, as is purported in the photo in Steven's post? If so, my opinion is that it doesn't happen much anymore because it's a lot more difficult to pull scams of that sort now. I'm not saying there's no afterlife, or even that no example of materialization is legit, but I do think that most of the supposed materializations from seances and the like that took place in the past were scams.

8. mac

mac Staff Member

Yes it covers materialisations as in this photo but also many other phenomena.

There's absolutely no doubt that scams have occurred but it would need a study of available data to reach a balanced conclusion. Otherwise it's conjecture to suggest "most of the supposed materializations from seances and the like that took place in the past were scams.".

However scams have happened right up to recent years and are very likely still happening as I write. I don't know the last assertion as fact because demonstrations are often held in private with little outside scrutiny. We get to know about them after the event when disgruntled attendees declare their concerns. One performer in particular was filmed a couple of years ago faking phenomena, a practitioner who had been suspected of fraud for some time. The filming left no doubt and the individual was discredited yet from what I've heard he continues to give performances.

I don't want this to sound critical but it's not really possible for someone unpersuaded of survival to objectively assess the situation concerning mediumship and phenomenalism.

9. mac

mac Staff Member

On general note I've long held concerns that those with a particular interest in physical mediumship may actually be more interested in the production and witnessing of phenomena than they are in the notion of survival beyond death those phenomena evidence.

I expressed that same concern well over a couple of decades ago in a published letter that brought a strong rebuke. That came from the leader of the Noah's Ark Society, an organisation representing and supporting physical mediums.

Incidentally in subsequent years he and I became friends, perhaps when he realised I hadn't actually been knocking physical mediumship. ;)

10. bluebird

bluebird Major Contributor

You make fair points. However -- the reason I think most of the supposed materializations in the past were probably scams is that many of them were supposedly of full-body apparitions, looking just like real people, who both appeared and then later disappeared under the guise of darkness. Ditto for the appearance of "ectoplasm", much of which was (in my opinion) simply muslin or another fabric. The girl in the photo looks just like a regular, living girl -- she even appears to be casting a shadow behind her, which an apparition/spirit would not do, and her elbows are pushing aside the curtains, which would require actual elbows. She is also appearing from within a curtained recess or cabinet, in the back of which it would be very easy to install a hidden door.

I also think that if they weren't mostly scams, we would be seeing many more full-body apparitions at seances and so forth these days, but we don't because it's easier to catch out the scammers, partly because people are less likely to fall for the scams, partly because we are less polite when it comes to not questioning people, and partly because modern day technology and an understanding of how it functions helps to eliminate some of the scams.

Even if I were persuaded of the existence of an afterlife, that doesn't mean I would be persuaded that these sorts of materializations were all legitimate. For many years prior to my husband's death I was agnostic, but more inclined to hope and believe than I am now, and I wasn't persuaded about the materializations then. If there is an afterlife, then I think there probably are legitimate seances, materalizations, communications, etc., but I don't believe that they are all legit, especially the more spectacular ones like that photo.

All of which is just my opinion, of course.