1. Afterlife Forums is an online, interactive community designed to give seekers direct access to prominent researchers, to afterlife literature, and to one another in order to foster both spiritual growth and public interest in life after death.
    Dismiss Notice

PM...Favorite Form Of Mediumship

Discussion in 'After-Death Communication' started by STEVEN LEVEE, Mar 2, 2018.

STEVEN LEVEE New Member

I see nothing on the site about Physical Mediumship. For someone like myself, who has little or no ability in the way of communicating with the other side, I find this form of mediumship to be the most convincing. I have found through study that there were some amazing PM's throughout the history of Spiritualism. I have also come to find that while there are still some around...there are none with the ability of the old timers...

Has anyone on the site experienced this type of mediumship?

2. mac

mac senior member Staff Member

AfterLifeForums isn't especially about mediumship hence it doesn't have a dedicated forum for its discussion.

I've experienced physical mediumship but it's not often provided nowadays and was always less common than other 'versions' and continues to be so. I find it sad that some modern-day practitioners claiming to be physical mediums actually are phenomenalists and at least one well-known practitioner was secretly filmed behaving fraudulently.
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2018
  3. mareke

mareke New Member

I’ve experienced two instances of the type of mediumship you are referring to. The first I couldn’t fault despite doing my best to figure out how the apparent paranormal phenomena I witnessed that night might have been fraudulently done. The phenomena I witnessed that night in my opinion (I admit I could be wrong) was impossible to do by trickery and I explain why I concluded this in a report I wrote after attending the séance.

The second instance of physical mediumship I witnessed was performed by one of the foremost physical mediums in the world today and I wrote a glowing report about the séance soon after attending it. I then subsequently wrote a second report after I’d worked out what really happened that night explaining how each trick was performed.

The problem I have with physical mediumship is that genuine physical mediumship offering proof of survival is as rare as hens’ teeth and the average person that attends séances is exceptionally easy to fool.

If you want to read the reports I wrote on the two séances I attended do a Google search for a computer forum called Overclockers Australia. After finding the forum go to the Science section and click on the heading at the top titled Views. The topics will be displayed in descending order based on the number of views. The topic with the most number of views is titled Scientists offer quantum theory of soul's existence. It consists of a debate as to whether humans have souls and whether or not there’s an afterlife. My username on the forum is mareke and I argued that humans have a soul and that there is a spirit world which our soul goes to after our physical body wears out.

If it’s just physical mediumship you are interested in scroll down to the heading The Thorny Issue of Mediums and Séances and you’ll find a detailed explanation of why one needs to be very careful with regards to citing physical mediumship as evidence for an afterlife.

4. genewardsmith

genewardsmith Active Member

What do you think of direct voice mediumship as evidence?
  5. genewardsmith

I can't find a Science section on Overclockers.
  6. mac

There have been a number of investigations over the past couple of years looking at the phenomena produce by modern day practitioners claiming to be physical mediums. A search online will probably throw them up. A major criticism of these performances - I use that word deliberately - is that phenomena occur unseen i.e. in the dark. Add to that a reluctance to have any form of recording of the performance and what do we have? Things happening that aren't seen hence can't be verified. :rolleyes:

The practitioners are well known to folk who follow this stuff and suspicions of fraud are made public but fee-paying adherents continue to flock to their shows. It seems there is indeed no such thing as bad publicity. :(
  7. mareke

mareke New Member

The Science topic is at the bottom of the page when you go to the Overclockers Australia Forums page rather than the Home page.
  8. genewardsmith

Unseen in the dark is not a problem. Refusing to allow infrared lighting and cameras screams fraud.
  9. mac

Unseen means no-one can be sure about what's happening - that's a problem if fraud's taking place. Hence the call for recording.
  10. mac

This overclockers? http://www.overclockers.com.au/
  11. mareke

mareke New Member

I consider each piece of evidence on its merits with the quality of the content of what comes through being all important. Jane Roberts channelling Seth for example produced enough material to fill 16 books and what came through was consistent, highly original and considered profound enough by learned people for it to be stored in a university. No-one in my view could have made up what came through Jane Roberts often in front of an audience. The Seth material appeals to me while someone with a different type of intellect might find the material that came through the mediumship of Maurice Barbanell who channelled Silver Birch more understandable. The material that came through the mediumship of both of these people was meaningful and added to knowledge about the spirit world.

Fraudulent mediums on the other hand tend to produce shallow flimflam that adds nothing meaningful to our understanding of the spirit world. There are numerous voices that I've listened to purporting to be the spirit voices of famous deceased people that came through at séances conducted by various mediums that when subjected to forensic scrutiny don't stand up as being genuine. I've given examples of some of these in the debate I referred to in my first post.

That's the home page. The forums part that I was referring to is the following link:

Click on 'Science' then Views and you'll find the topic Scientists offer quantum theory of soul's existence
  12. mac

ah, I see.... However did you stumble on it in such a seemingly-unlikely location?

I reached 'Science' but couldn't find 'Views'
  13. mareke

mareke New Member

I'm a member of the computer forum and when someone started the topic I decided to join the discussion and post my views. My forum name is mareke and I took on the forum of sceptics by swimming against the tide and arguing for the existence of both the soul and a spirit world and in the process I enraged a number of forum members with some of my cheeky comments. The forum members were used to ridiculing people with fundamentalist religious views but I proved to be a more formidable person to get the better of!

Here's a direct link to the topic:

Radical Transparency likes this.
  14. mac

thanks - Tackling sceptics can be entertaining but probably not worth much effort. ;)

STEVEN LEVEE New Member

I skimmed your post on that site & the responses posted there are hilarious! OMG! Those poor people just have no clue!

Also...I've had experiences with 2 PM's & also an American Indian Lakota Sioux medicine man who had his own physical phenomenon going on.
    The PM's left a lot to be desired although some things occurred that couldn't have been faked & I'll never forget. (I'm sure they are 2 you were speaking of in your post on '"overclockers") There was nothing I'd call proof of the afterlife though...not in the truest sense of the word. Same thing with the Lakota Sioux Medicine Man (Yuwipi Ceremony) It was in the dark, but there were materializations (again I know ya can't call 'em that because you can't see 'em)...but...things happened that I'm quite sure of.

I'd have given anything to sit with Leslie...when did you & can you tell us anything about it? Sloan sounds like he was just like Flint just a few years earlier....

Mac & I were on another forum with George Cranely a while back...he sat with Flint...he had some great stories! Totally knowledgeable & taught me a lot!
  16. mac

I feel privileged I arrived 'in the spooks' when I did, even though it was at the tail-end of the busy 20th century's spiritual activity. Those who were in-the-know before me undoubtedly saw and experienced more than I ever have done. Both they and the mediums they watched and heard have all but died off since.

I've said it many times before that my thoughts are that the mediumship of old may not in the future be as widely seen and experienced.

I thing that would be a crying shame unless something else were to come to the fore to continue to spread the simple message of survival. Not just to the grieving but also to seekers of understanding.
  17. mareke

mareke New Member

I agree that some of the replies on the Overclockers forum were hilarious but you have to take into account that it’s a computer forum with a lot of young people on it. None of the participants, including myself, foresaw when the debate started that it would wind up being viewed by a lot of people outside of the forum. To me the Overclockers Australia forum was an ideal forum to have such a debate because of the wide leeway allowed to forum members to say what they really thought. As long as you didn’t directly insult someone you could pretty much say whatever you really believed and all of the posters including myself did that.

As for séances that I’ve attended I’ve only ever been to the two séances I reported on in my first post in the debate on the Overclockers forum and after what I wrote I doubt I’d be allowed to attend another. I don’t need to attend any more séances because I believe there’s better evidence for the afterlife than physical mediumship of the kind that exists today. Someone like me who refuses to check his brains at the door would only ‘lower the vibrations’ anyway (double speak for see through the tricks!)

Looking at it from a fraudulent medium’s viewpoint the ideal sort of person to attend séances is the woman I referred to on page 5 of the debate on Overclockers in Post 95 under the heading POSTSCRIPT who believed that she felt her deceased pet ferret brush her thighs and a bird brush her hair at séances she attended in 2014 conducted by a medium I named as a fraud. I explained what I believe really happened as opposed to what this woman imagined happened. The woman’s explanation was subjective and based on the expectations and belief system that she took into the séance. My explanation of what I believe really happened was objective. Most people that go to séances are like that woman rather than like me which is why frauds get away with it.

As for Flint my views about him changed as I became better at seeing through the tricks that fraudulent mediums used in the past to con gullible people. I started out believing that he was genuine only to finally conclude that he was a ventriloquist with an ability to change the pitch and tone of his voice at will to impersonate both male and female voices. Flint was one of the mediums I analysed at length in my long first post on the Overclockers forum and I gave reasons for concluding that he was a fraud. My first post on the Overclockers forum is too long for me to add to it so on page 5 of the debate in Post 95 under the heading POSTCRIPT I added that I'd recently listened to a couple more Flint recordings and I gave reasons why I believed they were Flint impersonating Estelle Roberts and Marilyn Monroe.
  18. genewardsmith

Nobody is that good a ventriloquist. Can you name a voice actor who could pull it off? In any case, Flint was able to produce voices with colored water in his mouth and the mouth taped shut, and sometimes talks at the same time as the voice. I'd be interested to see your response to my recent Bobby Tracy post.
    ravensgate likes this.
  19. mac

"Looking at it from a fraudulent medium’s viewpoint the ideal sort of person to attend séances is the woman I referred to on page 5 of the debate on...."

Those who dupe their paying clients/sitters aren't fraudulent mediums - they're just frauds. Only if they use mediumship to defraud or deceive those clients could they accurately be called fraudulent mediums.

Similarly a claimed/supposed physical medium is no such thing if he's simply a phenomenalist - producing physical phenomena without a spiritual-communication context isn't mediumship. I see it as entertainment.
  20. genewardsmith

Here's a compilation of a variety of voices produced in Leslie Flint seances.

Sadly, the Bessie Smith voice is not included.