1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Afterlife Forums is an online, interactive community designed to give seekers direct access to prominent researchers, to afterlife literature, and to one another in order to foster both spiritual growth and public interest in life after death.

Physical Mediumship

Discussion in 'After-Death Communication' started by janef, Nov 22, 2014.

1. mac

mac Staff Member

I don't recall who said that about David Thompson ....

2. normy

normy Active Member

Flint was rigorously tested scientifically and there were never any accusations of fraud. He used no paraphernalia like trumpets, and the voices came from above his head somewhere, sometimes while he was speaking normally. He performed in a closed light-free cabinet in a lighted theatre at times, and still the voices came outside the cabinet. Voices were stronger in darkness, which of course helped his public demonstrations. His main purpose was providing survival evidence by direct voice communication; this is documented by many by personal experience. I have no doubts that he was authentic based on all the evidence.

As for David Thompson, I only know what I've read about him, various views, reports, and comments. As it's in the dark, I would not know whether any communicator was coming through direct voice, trance, or normal voice, unless I was convinced by personal or trusted evidence. It would have to be direct voice for me. If he is a genuine materialization medium, by my definition a full form has to be seen. Physical phenomena appears to genuinely happen, but that alone is of little interest to me these days. Survival evidence by trance is mental mediumship and not physical. I know nothing about the quality and quantity of Thompson's survival communications by direct voice, but I'm not sure if he claims to be a DV medium, a materialization medium, or a phenomenalist medium, or all three. He might be a great medium, or not, I don't know, but I can't raise any interest until one can see what's going on as well as the other senses. :)

3. Waller

Waller Banned

Warning, the following may severely impact your psyche, normy, as they are extrapolations from Flint's autobiography. You know, copyright and all.

Flint describes his bitter disappointment with parapsychologists researching him in the following extract:

"When first I began to allow myself to be tested I was naive enough to believe that if the tests were successful the scientists and researchers who had carried them out under their own conditions would proclaim to all the world the truth of life after death. All too soon I learned the hard way that many of those who call themselves researchers have immutable values of their own which preclude belief in a meaning or purpose in man's existence or in the possibility of a life after death. Their concern was to disprove the reality of my voices and they would postulate any alternative however far-fetched or absurd sooner than admit the implication of their own successful experiment." (Flint 1971: 169).

4. It has always been acceptable to quote copyrighted material with proper attribution. That's different from posting entire copyrighted texts online where everyone can access them free.

5. normy

normy Active Member

The researchers failed to provide any proof that it was not genuine direct voice, despite their best efforts to disprove it. This IMO gives great credibility to his work. Further credibility is provided by his account of demonstrating in the hall when it was full of light. Despite this, voices were heard and conversations took place between the living this side, and those from the other side, too faint for good public demonstrations but perfectly audible. (See Flint 1971; 90).

6. bluebird

bluebird Major Contributor

Quoting brief passages of copyrighted work is legally acceptable, as long as the person quoting gives proper attribution.
    As normy basically said, and which you likely well know, despite your sarcasm.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2015
  7. normy

normy Active Member

If you really care about the feelings of the bereaved and those fearing death, Waller, IMO you should be supporting those who are trying to provide afterlife evidence from loved communicators, not those providing phenomena in the dark, if that's all it is. I'm sure you will be looking out for that in your investigations. Mediumship is all about the healing and comfort it gives by evidence in various ways from loved ones on the other side of life; we must not forget this.

8. normy

normy Active Member

Jo called me, and I told her about your question. She said she will respond to your question, Highlander, when her PC problems and loss of internet connections are sorted out. She's cut off from Cyberland and very frustrated.

9. Highlander

Highlander Active Member

I appreciate your efforts normy. Looking forward to hearing from Jo when her equipment is back up and running.

10. Let me start off by saying, I've only stumbled on to reading about the afterlife and mediumship about 4 months ago. I've started reading some of the books Roberta recommends in the appendix of "The Fun of Dying". I am a real novice on this, but am super excited, while trying to stay cautious on what I accept as true. I am a 40yr mother of 2 and an accountant - going crazy cuz it's tax season.

One of my problems with Leslie Flint is that every voice I hear sounds like it -could- be him doing the voices. I'm not stating it's definitely him, but I still haven't heard a voice that I can confidently say to myself "Ok, there is no way he's doing this voice". All the female voices, if you listen around the edges, either sound like a man doing a woman's voice, or they sound like they are about to revert to "Mickey". I used to sing in cover bands and know how to stylize my voice in many ways. It can be done if someone's got the ability.
    I get he's been tested over and over, but I believe what I said above is what's holding me and probably those researchers back from fully accepting Leslie Flint as a true medium. Even though he's been tested, I cannot ignore what my ears are telling me.