1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Afterlife Forums is an online, interactive community designed to give seekers direct access to prominent researchers, to afterlife literature, and to one another in order to foster both spiritual growth and public interest in life after death.

Pet Hates - but not hating your pets!

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussions' started by mac, Sep 4, 2020.

1. bluebird

bluebird Major Contributor

I think the pronunciation of "poem" in the U.S. may have regional differences; I live in the Northeast, and have never heard the word pronounced "pome" by anyone, always "po-em". You are in Arizona or thereabouts, correct? So perhaps they pronounce the word "pome" in the Southwest?

I will consider posting some poems in the relevant section, but I hesitate to do so given the problems this site has had with trolls in the past, and the fact that some of my poems have been published and I wouldn't want the aggravation of being actually identified.

As for juggling words in your mind before actually writing them down, I understand that, lol. I think that's partly down to education, but it also, at least for me, comes from an innate sense of language and placement. For me, it's similar to interior design, for which I also have a knack, in that when I decorate my home (particularly when I first move in to a a new place), I simply know where each piece of furniture should go, the best place for it to be located based on aesthetics and usefulness. Very rarely have I ever wanted to or found in necessary to move a piece after initial placement. In poetry, it's as Coleridge said: "Prose equals words in their best order; poetry equals the best words in the best order".

Samuel Johnson said that in poetry "disparate ideas are yoked by violence together"; he was referring specifically to metaphysical poetry, but I find that it is often the case in many types of poetry. Seeing patterns in all sorts of things is a useful foundation for poetry writing, and is why so many poets (and probably fiction writers as well) carry a pen and notebook with them at all times -- you never know when something you see or hear will trigger that niggling feeling of "there is a poem here". The poem may come right away, or the observation may linger in the notebook for years, and it may not ever make it into a poem in the way it was initially observed (though often it will), but it becomes part of the wellspring.

The synesthesia stuff I think informs my writing as well, to some degree -- it has something to do with seeing those patterns I mentioned. I suspect it is also likely connected to my OCD, though I don't know if there is any clinical proof of a connection between the two in the medical literature. I agree with you that it's also possible it has some connection to sensitivities; it runs in my family to have those sorts of inclinations, including in me (I just do not trust my feelings/intuitions/etc. anymore since my husband died, since they did warn me in any way specific or strong enough to prevent his death).

2. mac

mac Staff Member

Yes 'The Valley' in AZ is my home in winter and it was there I heard pome but from a neighbor hailing from Chicago - go figure! You've piqued my interest in your poetry. The poems you've published might identify you if you posted 'em here so perhaps better not to.

In general I hope you'll feel reassured we don't have a troll here on ALF or if we do it's so quiet as to be inconsequential. If one were to stick its head above the parapet it would find that a bad idea and nowadays I manually approve - or reject - all new applications anyway.

3. mac

mac Staff Member

This is just an example of variation. In AmerEnglish 'quite' often means 'very' whereas in EnglEnglish it means 'fairly' or 'pretty'.

eg "The sun is out but it's still quite cold." might be "still very cold" in AmerEnglish but "still fairly cold" in EnglEnglish

We still have to consciously adjust for the AmerEnglish version. eg "She seems quite nice."

4. mac

mac Staff Member

Not a hate but one that gets confused, even by experienced communicators:

'impinge' and 'infringe'

5. mac

mac Staff Member

Regional differences have frequently caught us out. Here's an example.

I was chatting recently to our neighbors about American dinner 'biscuits' and went on to say that they're similar to how we have Yorkshire Pudding with dinner at home - I had to explain Yorkshire Pudding - quite tricky. :D

When I said about biscuits: "Like you Americans eat." our neighbors said "Oh, no. We don't eat biscuits with gravy!" When I looked puzzled they grinned: "We have cheese sauce with ours."

They are Cheese Heads from Wisconsin and use cheese sauce instead of chicken or sausage sauce on biscuits and for lots of other things. I had never realised that what I thought was a national American 'biscuits and gravy' accompaniment wasn't national at all.

6. bluebird

bluebird Major Contributor

Biscuits and gravy is definitely more common than biscuits with cheese sauce, though.

7. mac

mac Staff Member

That's kinda what we'd experienced on our travels - cheese sauce? yuk!

BUT, then, in the UK some folk like curry sauce on their chips and sausage take away! :D And the Belgians apparently dip their chips (fries) in Mayo. :D Some Scots enjoy battered, deep-fried Mars bars and deep-fried hagis!

Takes all kinds to make a world!