1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Afterlife Forums is an online, interactive community designed to give seekers direct access to prominent researchers, to afterlife literature, and to one another in order to foster both spiritual growth and public interest in life after death.

Pet Hates - but not hating your pets!

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussions' started by mac, Sep 4, 2020.

1. bluebird

bluebird Major Contributor

As far as I know, Americans always use the double quotation marks, with one exception -- when we need to use quotation marks within a quote, only then do we use the single marks.

I know that it's a British thing to use the double consonants in words such as "travelled", but I spell it that way because it simply feels more right to me -- the word is too thin without the double "l", and to me doesn't actually convey the concept of "travelling" as well. Such weirdness comes with being a poet, lol. I suspect I also have a touch of synesthesia, as I find that I have similar feelings when it comes to things like music and flavors. For example, tea with milk tastes full, whereas tea with lemon tastes too thin and sharp (for me); fruit flavored hard candies are the same. Certain songs have certain shapes, only partially related to the way the lyrics and/or musical notes would look laid on on the page -- they actually sort of sound like the shape they take, or seem that way to me.

As for pumpkin vs. punkin, I've never heard an adult use "punkin" other than in a joking way, or perhaps when talking to a small child. That is, I've never met an adult who didn't know that the actual word is "pumpkin" -- but as the past four years have demonstrated, there are plenty of idiots in the U.S., so I suppose some of them may be unaware of the actual word, lol. ;)

2. bluebird

Quite true. One tends to notice one's own pet peeves in use, lol.

Though I do wonder why I didn't notice it on ALF....

3. mac

mac Staff Member

It was one of our neighbors in Arizona who - as Halloween approached - was excitedly telling us about the large "punkins" for sale in our local Walmart. He was nearly 80 at that time so not a child! :D It was only from the overall context I worked out what he was talking about.

At that time we were at the start of what would become a 16 year association with the US. We were on a steep learning curve - new words, unfamiliar accents, different patterns of behavior, unfamiliar rules and regulations, state after state.... And then a concentration of all those things and more as we made camp in our soon-to-be regular snowbirding home - we loved it all!

Our then new next-door neighbor made us super-welcome the way west-coast Americans do. He LOVED chatting with us at every opportunity about our country, our way of life, our travels and our language - BritEnglish! And WE loved his encyclopaedic knowledge of all things American - he encouraged us to ask him anything and we loved asking. Whenever we were wondering about something we'd say: "Ask Gerry - he'll know!" And mostly he did but what he didn't know he'd find out for us. We all delighted sitting in the sun under our RV's awning chatting about our very different lives that had unexpectedly and unpredictably come together. He was/is our dearest friend and we miss him deeply.

Words, language and communication are probably my greatest interests.

4. mac

mac Staff Member

I often find something I hadn't noticed before. I put it down to being just one-of-those-things......

Last edited: Sep 7, 2020
  5. mac

mac Staff Member

I have absolutely no idea why I use the marks the way I do. I'm not conscious of it being a Brit style so perhaps it's just one I've developed for myself, neither right nor wrong, just different from other styles?

Maybe that's it, bb. Speaking of poetry (we say po-em, Americans say pome) I hope you've seen I've added a forum for poetry - can I encourage you to post some of yours?
    As for double-consonants it's what I was taught so it's conditioning and use but I frequently juggle words and change word order until a sentence feels right as I'm saying it in my mind while I'm writing. Often I format and re-format over and over until I'm satisfied.I don't know if that's down to education or if it's just me.

Oh do tell more! I am FASCINATED by all such accounts and by the reasons it occurs in some folk. I also wonder if such brain 'mis-wiring' accounts for some of the stuff I frequently read from sensitives of various kinds. They say things that might sound fanciful but I don't disbelieve they actually do experience what they say. Whether their experiences are 'real' (whatever that means) or similar to a synesthete's experiences I don't know. But just as for you they are personal experiences hence can justifiably be called real.

That's certainly possible! :D

6. mac

mac Staff Member

I nearly missed this one as I've grown so used to hearing - and hating! - it.

When interviewees are asked a question they answer by first saying "Ssssooo........", often one question after another, seemingly unable to stop themselves. It's an affectation, something particularly noticeable in individuals who are often interviewed - you can tell by the way they speak they've done it before. It seems similar to buzz-words, acronyms and business-speak - they're fine for the right scenarios but inappropriate elsewhere.

I became aware of "So..." probably a couple (two) years back and it's become more and more noticeable now - or is that just me noticing it more and more? ;) :D

7. mac

mac Staff Member

another pet hate The adjective 'unacceptable' is used to describe even the most reprehensible behavior. There are appropriately stronger alternatives - despicable, deplorable, outrageous, attrocious

Is this political correctness gone mad? A fear of over-stating one's outrage even about outrageous behavior?

8. bluebird

That sounds like a lovely friendship with Gerry. :)

And I'm right there with you, regarding words, language, and communication!

9. bluebird

Starting multiple sentences with "So" is quite prevalent online, I've found. Ditto for starting with "Well".

10. bluebird

This is not a particular pet peeve of mine, but I do see your point. It strikes me as not so much a matter of people hesitating to be forceful (though that may be the case, or may at least play a part) as them attempting to sound authoritative in a "parent/teacher talking to a child" sort of way, in a "lecturing to a lesser" sort of way -- almost passive-aggressive. The lack of a wide-ranging vocabulary may also feed into this, for some people.