1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Afterlife Forums is an online, interactive community designed to give seekers direct access to prominent researchers, to afterlife literature, and to one another in order to foster both spiritual growth and public interest in life after death.

Pet Hates - but not hating your pets!

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussions' started by mac, Sep 4, 2020.

1. mac

mac Staff Member

Here's one for a bit of fun but also to get off your chest the stuff that drives you wild. For me it's often words and phrases so I'm going to record my pet hate words whenever I recognise one. why not join in with your own?

2. mac

mac Staff Member

The words 'going forward' are the new buzz words for 'in the future'.

The word 'incredibly' gets used instead of 'very' or 'extremely'.

The phrase 'excessive heat' is used by weather forecasters instead of 'extreme heat'.

We hear 'different than' instead of 'different from' or 'different to'.

"I'm doing good" instead of "I'm doing well."

"How are you?" "I'm good!"

:D:D:D:eek::rolleyes:

3. Ruby

Ruby Established Member

Yes! Or should I say: "absolutely"! So much better than a simple "yes"!

4. bluebird

bluebird Major Contributor

Any business-speak buzzwords, such as "I'm just reaching out...", "It's a big ask...", "Let me relay my learnings to you...".

The non-word "alot".

The recent (past couple of years) use of the word "super" as a modifier to virtually everything ("super cute", etc.).

The widespread incorrect usage use of the word "literally".

The use of the non-word (in this context) "mines" instead of "mine", to indicate possession or relationship.

Calling an outfit a "fit".

Any sentence which includes someone stating that s/he is giving a hyperbolic "110%", or any percentage amount over 100%, which is the most one can give.

The Covid-induced increase in the usage of the word "unprecedented".

5. mac

mac Staff Member

;):)

I'm glad it's not just me and my wife who are annoyed by misuse/overuse of certain words and phrases! I used to be more pernickety (persnickety?) than I am now but I'm more accepting that style changes and language evolves constantly.

I know you're a wordsmith, bb, so I expected you'd enjoy adding your 2 tuppence worth / 2 cents to this thread. It's a nice change, I think, from the mostly-serious stuff we generally talk about. :)

bluebird likes this.
  6. mac

mac Staff Member

Folk getting muddled rather than a pet-hate: 'over-estimate' and 'overstate' being wrongly used.

eg "You can't over-estimate the importance of the decision." instead of "You can't overstate the importance......"

7. mac

mac Staff Member

WARNING! curmudgeon mode enabled! :D

"can't wait"

wrong: "I can't wait to go on vacation!"

right: "I can't wait to go on vacation - I'm so exhausted I'm going to take a couple of days break now." or "I'm so excited I can hardly wait to go on vacation ."

8. bluebird

bluebird Major Contributor

lol, I definitely enjoyed the chance to vent a bit about my language pet peeves. :D Thanks for starting this thread!

9. mac

mac Staff Member

I thought of a great one earlier but now it's escaped me - I need to jot 'em down on paper as soon as I think of them as an aide-memoire!

Last edited: Sep 5, 2020
  10. mac

mac Staff Member

got it! 'uptick' instead of increase

check-box instead of tick-box (that's just Brit English against American English!

'wait in line' instead of 'queue' (try changing a document printer queue to a 'print wait in line' notification! :D)

It's all just in fun. :)