1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Afterlife Forums is an online, interactive community designed to give seekers direct access to prominent researchers, to afterlife literature, and to one another in order to foster both spiritual growth and public interest in life after death.

Padgett Messages?

Discussion in 'General Afterlife Discussions' started by Corey, Sep 20, 2019.

1. Corey

Corey New Member

Does anyone know anything about the Padgett messages? Are they legitimate? I've been reading the works of Robert Hugh Benson and the editor of the books frequently makes references to the Padgett messages in footnotes.

2. LachlanMac

LachlanMac New Member

I read through a great deal of the messages publicly available and they seem interesting. Personally, they don't line up with some other afterlife evidence that I'm familiar with, so it is very hard to accept them as legitimate. Some of the evidence lines up with regards to talking about different levels of heaven or "spheres" as they are called here, but I don't really feel the "bible-talk" stuff sits well. Essentially, it sounds like "Accept Christ and you will be saved, blah blah blah"

This lines I particularly didn't see as plausible based on my understanding :

"Keep trying to find the truth. He told me that he would come to you so that you might not doubt any longer, and he is not going to leave you again as he did some years ago when your heart was hard and sinful. You must believe that he came to you. He is no other than Jesus of the Bible."

and

"He is the one true son of God that can save you and your friend from your sins, believe in him and do not let the teachings or false statements of the other spirits cause you to have doubts as to his being the true Christ - keep his love fresh in your hearts"

I don't really have a good reason, it just seems kind of preachy to me.

Edit: I don't know, I think a lot of it does resonate with evidence, and maybe I was just put off by the religious tone of it. But it does have a lot of consistencies.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2019
  3. Corey

Corey New Member

Thanks so much for looking into this for me! I got the same feeling. I only read some tidbits here and there but it kind of rubbed me the wrong way. Didn't seem to completely line up, but hey it's always fun to find bits of the truth in things. I also find preachy religious stuff quite off-putting.

4. RobertaGrimes

RobertaGrimes Administrator

Dear Lachlan Mac and Corey, Jesus did not die for your sins! He tells us in the Gospels (and therefore before His death) that God judges no one!
    "For not even the Father judges anyone, but He has given all judgment to the Son, so that all will honor the Son even as they honor the Father" (JN 5:22). And then at a later time Jesus tells us that He doesn't judge us either. He had to be cagey about what He said, and when He said it, because when He walked the earth, to speak against the prevailing religion - e.g. to come right out and say that God doesn't judge us, and neither does anyone else - would have meant immediate death.

And think what a horrendous insult that whole teaching is to the genuine God! He is supposed to be so loving, but He can't even forgive us for Adam's sin unless He first gets to enjoy watching His own Son being horribly murdered? What kind of human parent could do something so horrendous? And how is it that we normals are more loving and forgiving than God? (Spoiler alert: We are not.)

There is indeed a genuine Jesus, and He is even more perfect, amazing, and infinitely powerful than any Christian denomination ever even has imagined! But anyone who tries to sell you the nonsense that He came to die for your sins is emphatically bogus. Don't be fooled. As Jesus said, “If you hold to my teaching, you are really my disciples. Then you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free” (JN 8:31-32). Indeed it will!

Kurt and Juanita like this.
  5. Corey

Corey New Member

Thank you, Roberta! I wholeheartedly agree.
    Some Christians will argue that the meaning of Jesus dying on the cross to "save us for our sins" is that, since Jesus was actually God (in their eyes), God came here to die for us because he loves us so much. Which seems less cringe-worthy to me than the other idea that god sacrificed his son to save us. What are your thoughts on that particular argument?

6. mac

mac Staff Member

Up to this point I have simply monitored the thread but the discussion looks set to change to one involving the religion of Christianity and religious discussions are not allowed on ALF. Anyone interested in such conversations will find them over on Roberta's blog.

thank you for your understanding :)

7. Corey

Corey New Member

Oh cool thanks Mac! Didn't realize

8. RobertaGrimes

Dear Corey, I think this is how most modern Christians would phrase it, and I fail to see how this is any better than the raw penal sacrificial redemption that was the original version of the idea. Why should anyone have to die? A priest once told me it was to make US feel better about ourselves, but that also begs an important question.

Those that we used to think were dead tell us that "sin" is purely a human concept, the disobeying of human rules. In God, there are no such rules! In God - as Jesus told us - the only rule is the Law of Love. So any version of the Jesus-died-for-us idea is problematic! We broke human rules, and only human rules. When we return home, the only standard by which we will be judged will be whether and the extent to which each thing we did was loving. To even hint that Jesus died because of our sinfulness is to make us focus not on love, but instead on human-standards rules (homosexuality, divorce, etc.), and that will make us even more fear-based and unloving. The whole thing is utterly spiritually counterproductive!

Corey likes this.
  9. Corey

Corey New Member

Thanks Roberta! That is helpful. The whole thing just seemed off to me but I couldn't quite articulate it like you did. It's fear-based, not love-based, to think such a terrible thing would have to happen to redeem us.

10. RobertaGrimes

BINGO! Precisely right. Whatever the question, love is always the answer ;-).

Kurt and Corey like this.