1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Afterlife Forums is an online, interactive community designed to give seekers direct access to prominent researchers, to afterlife literature, and to one another in order to foster both spiritual growth and public interest in life after death.

Out of body experiene query?

Discussion in 'Afterlife Evidence' started by Storybud68, Nov 17, 2017.

1. Storybud68

Storybud68 Member

A few years ago i had what i thought at the time was an out of the body experience while i was asleep.The feeling was amazing i was floating around my house looking down going wherever my mind wanted to go.As i looked down in the rooms and beds where my family should have been they werent there.My point is some people claim this is your soul leaving your body ,if this was the case i should have been able to look down and see them my family in bed in real time?Im logical enough to know that it was just some sort of lucid dream.So i only believe an obe if they are seeing things in real time with there soul.this makes perfect sense rather than wishing it was your sour leaving your body.i would love to hear your views on this.?thank you

2. RobertaGrimes

RobertaGrimes Administrator

In fact, for you to see familiar things looking different during an OBE is common. Bob Monroe, who is the father of OBE travel, used to talk about leaving his body deliberately and finding himself in a mimic of his room that looked in subtle ways different from the physical room. He surmised that there is a non-material mimic of our material spaces that we can enter when we leave the body, but I don't know that anyone has yet figured out why this happens.

3. Storybud68

Storybud68 Member

Intresting stuff roberta.but is not just quite simple the fact is that its quite simply a kind of dream.I know people want it to be someting else.buts it seems black and white to me that its definitely not your soul .

4. mac

mac senior member Staff Member

Only you have spoken of 'soul' anyway but how much do you know about soul in the first place?

And based on how much research/ knowledge/understanding do you draw when you suggest it's just a dream that Monroe experiences?

5. RobertaGrimes

Your comment presupposed that the material world that you see around you is the real world. In fact, there is so much evidence that it is a Mind-created illusion - in essence, this world is the dream - that we know this easy answer simply cannot be trusted. There is much more going on! Bob Monroe came to think simply that this mimic of his material bedroom that he entered when he consciously left his body was an aspect of the astral plane, which is the non-material reality that even scientists know makes up 95% of reality. Our afterlife is in the astral; the places where NDEs happen are in the astral; and out-of-body travelers travel in the astral. But he was fully conscious when there - he knew he wasn't dreaming! - and he found the whole thing to be both interesting and amusing.

And the word "soul" is a religious term. I have no idea why it belongs in this discussion! What do you mean by it?

6. bluebird

bluebird Well-Known Member

"Soul" isn't only a religious term. If we do actually continue to exist in some form after death, then it is the soul of each person that continues -- clearly our bodies do not, and the soul is the essential part of each person (again, this is if an afterlife exists at all). So while "soul" can be a religious term, it is more basically the word which refers to the essential part of each of us which continues after death (if, indeed, we do continue after death at all).

enby likes this.
  7. mac

Soul certainly can have a religious connotation but is often used as an alternative word to 'spirit', both signifying a similar thing - the energy that animates us into becoming living, physical entities.

Based on what David Storybud appears not to know I expect he has very little idea about what's meant either by 'spirt' or 'soul' anyway, whether in connection with the so-called OOB experience or any other issue. ;)

8. RobertaGrimes

True. But what continues is what we experience as consciousness, so I call it "mind," which is not a religious term. There is no separate "soul" - it is all consciousness.

kim marine and Rising like this.
  9. mac

As so often we're hung up on words.... As they're the only medium we have for routine communication, however, they are important and it's helpful if we try to use them as concisely as possible - no easy task!

The words 'soul and 'spirit' I use to relate to the energy that animates us humans and the cessation of that animating force results in corporeal death. Beyond that is another dimension with a whole bunch more that follow it seamlessly into what we usually term 'the future'. I'm a simple soul so speaking of 'the future' still works for me. ;)

Consciousness and mind are yet more uncertain and potentially contentious words. How easy it should be when we're not lumbered by the need to communicate using spoken and written languages! :D

10. bluebird

I disagree, sort of. In my opinion, "soul" refers to that part of us which is most essential, that part of us which is not the body, that part of us which continues after death if any part of us does. "Mind" or "consciousness" refers to the expression of our soul via the body (more precisely, via the brain) in which we temporarily reside. I don't view the soul as separate, per se, but as temporarily housed within the body, and using the mind/consciousness as its mode of expression.

I think we are actually talking about the same thing, we each just prefer different terms for it.

11. mac

It seems we are doomed to be frustrated by different terms used to mean much the same thing. I wonder if telepathic communication in the etheric world(s) is automatically free from confusion over what's meant?

12. jimrich

jimrich Active Member

My question would be: who has this body? who has this "soul"? Who is "dreaming"? Who or what are you that appears to "own" a body and a soul? Who/what is "floating" around inside of the house?
    My body and also my "soul" are in me. So who/what is this "me" that has or owns such and such?

13. RobertaGrimes

The afterlife evidence disagrees strongly, of course - consciousness is in fact the base force, and none of it relates to the body at all - but dear Bluebird, please believe whatever makes you happy.

14. bluebird

In your opinion, "the afterlife evidence disagrees strongly". In my opinion, you are simply misunderstanding the generally accepted definition of the word "consciousness". But as always, believe whatever makes you happy.

15. RobertaGrimes

Oh dear Bluebird, never change! One day you and I will raise crystal cups of nectar to toast the heavenly halls....

16. mac

The sentiment is there even if the words were slightly flippant but on a serious note I wonder - after we've all kicked off our clogs - if we'll be minded to begin to search for individuals we've engaged with here and elsewhere but never actually met?

Will we care about how we used to see 'stuff' and care about saying sorry for the things we got badly wrong or feel relieved about the stuff we got pretty much right - if there is anything!? Or - as I suspect - will we see so much more of the big picture, and where we all fit into it, that none of this stuff will matter a chuff any more?

Might that be the reason that individuals whose lives were centred on spiritual issues whilst incarnate don't appear to make an effort to get back to us to give ever-stronger evidence about what we already know but are constantly being challenged and questioned about?

17. RobertaGrimes

Apparently we will look back at the nonsense of this lifetime and realize that it all was a game. The big party given for each of us when we get there seems to feel something like the after-party for the debut of a successful play: we did a great job, we're relaxing and talking about it, but it was after all just a play. Now we're back to living our real lives!

Nirvana likes this.
  18. mac

The thread starter storybud, David, appears to hav left this conversation and we're left chatting by ourselves. ;)

I'm sure that the analogy used that life is a game, a play, might be how things appear to some of our discarnate friends for a period before they move forward. It's likely to be fairly accurate inasmuch as each of us takes part in a 'performance' that's planned but not fully scripted, where improv. and constantly changing storylines are the norm. But just as with all lives outside of the source, all other lives are as real or unreal as each other. Life here is as 'real' as life before we came and will again be after we leave.

The benchmark I adopt for reality is that only when our individualities are lost, our beings merged totally with source, do we experience 'reality'. The follow-on from that benchmark is that every other state of being, whatever the form of individuality being expressed, is less than the reality we experience as source, where all individuality disappears.

19. kim marine

kim marine Active Member

I feel that when I sleep my mind views a preview of life and when I awake and live the next day the things I see "speak" to me in a sense because they too have consciousness. The thoughts that enter my mind, the things I do and places I go leave me no other ch0ice but to decipher this.

20. kim marine

kim marine Active Member

During my NDE, I refused to wake up to become conscious of this life on earth, anyway I thought I was already living on this earth, because I saw myself living in places that looked familiar to me. I did not like the lives that I was viewing, and I was very confused. The Source told me that if I'd wake up I would be very pleased with the life that was set before me. I am not suggesting predestination, but something more like a life in which I am challenged to face certain things that are set before me at the time when I am supposed to experience them, so I would be able to mature spiritually.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2017
  21. kim marine

kim marine Active Member

Mac, we agree on something!:)

22. Storybud68

Storybud68 Member

Hi kim that is a lovely way of looking at it.im currentely readind robert monries first book as suggested ny mac.its a fascintating read and thanks mac for the recommenadation

23. kim marine

kim marine Active Member

Will you please tell me more of this book.

24. Storybud68

Storybud68 Member

Hi kim its based on on the experiences of robert ,an amazing story on his out of body experiences which started of in the late 50s.google his name and it will tell you more.