1. Afterlife Forums is an online, interactive community designed to give seekers direct access to prominent researchers, to afterlife literature, and to one another in order to foster both spiritual growth and public interest in life after death.

Out of body experience with the other side in dreams

Discussion in 'After-Death Communication' started by Harmonica, Mar 12, 2018.

1. Harmonica

Harmonica New Member

I believe I had an "out of body" experience in my dream this afternoon.

1st off,- I came home from work feeling drained and slightly under the weather, so I went to sleep.

The dream started off at my work place, outside. I looked at the sky and it looked beautiful, so I moved closer to have a better look, and there was a cliff of some sort. I began stumbling over it, and while trying to rescue myself, my dear friend who passed away in August said, "Its your dream, you can control how it happens,- just fly backwards."

So I did...with her. Suddenly, I was flying, not forward but backwards with her in the sky. It was like a ride at an amusement park, but beautifully spiritual. The sky was gorgeous, the surroundings up their looked like complete paradise. We seemed to be communicating telepathically. Then, as we were flying, words showed up in front of us, from an online memorial I recently made her and then from our messages we had written each other over the years which I have saved. I actually wrote her a couple messages after she died too, even knowing she couldn't reply and they too came up. Realizing what was happening, I began to choke up while saying, "Forever," in regards to her online memorial and our words of friendship that appeared in front of us. I then began to cry with the knowledge of what was happening. I wondered if she would leave and end the experience because of my sudden emotion. She instead looked at me with caring compassion and gratitude and as we kept flying on this ride in the sky, I saw and felt a white wing embrace my being. I was no longer crying but in complete peace.

Then, (and this is the weird part) suddenly, I woke up with a needed deep breath and big gasp for air. I could feel that I hadn't breathed in awhile when I woke up...

I'm just wondering, how one would explain the gasp for air upon waking?

Does it sound like I may have been enjoying this heavenly experience with my friend so much that I actually almost passed away myself in my sleep, since my breathing obviously stopped at some point? Because that doesn't normally happen when waking up from sleep and I felt an awareness of this being something spiritually different than just a regular dream during it. Plus didn't feel well when I laid down for the nap.

Thoughts on this, anyone?

Last edited: Mar 13, 2018
  2. bluebird

bluebird Well-Known Member

I don't know whether or not your experience was one you genuinely spent with your friend, though I think it's possible.

Regarding the deep breath and awakening, however, in my opinion that was most likely sleep apnea.

3. Harmonica

Harmonica New Member

Thanks for the reply. However, I know what sleep apnea is and don't have it. My husband does.

4. Harmonica

Harmonica New Member

Any other posters on the afterlife forum that believe in or have heard of these experiences?

This forum looked active back in January...

Is anyone here posting these days? I can't see much from the cell phone I post with.

5. mac

mac senior member Staff Member

This website and its various discussion forums has, like other websites, varying levels of activity dependent on what's under discussion. Some subjects generate a lot of short-term interest and then they're all but talked out. It's often the way forums operate. For the past few days there has indeed been an unusually small level of activity so you've arrived at a particularly quiet time!

I rarely access ALF (or other sites) from a cell phone but when I do I find it a frustrating business. Using a computer to wander around the site is definitely a more satisfying experience and older topics can easily be found and read.

There's not many accounts here of OBEs but it doesn't mean that members don't have 'em. It's a chicken-and-egg situation and somebody has to start the ball rolling before a conversation can develop and that can take a time because folk may visit this website at widely varying frequencies.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2018
  6. RobertaGrimes

RobertaGrimes Administrator

This seems to me to have been a communication dream from your recently-transitioned friend, and not an OBE. It's a beautiful one! And the gasp for breath could have been anything; I don't have sleep apnea either, but on occasion I wake up with a sharp intake of breath.

7. Harmonica

Harmonica New Member

Okay, thank you! And yes, it sure was a beautiful one...:)

8. Harmonica

Harmonica New Member

I totally understand the occasional slow points and occasional active times on forums. I have my own forum, but it's a proboard, much different than this.

And your right...members seem to post for a short time in a popular topic while some threads get little if any feedback, depending on the interest of the posters.

I posted my story here because I was very interested in feedback from people who often study this stuff, also concerned and curious about how I awoke from the dream, and I guess wondering if it was an out of body experience or an after death communication. But, I think I got my answer.

9. pandora97

pandora97 Active Member

Sorry Harmonica. I'm actually interested in your experience but I'm brand new to all of this........guess I just don't feel in a position to comment, except to say sounds like a very pleasant experience for you:)

Harmonica likes this.
  10. Harmonica

Harmonica New Member

It is pretty incredible when something rare like that happens. :)

11. Ski

Ski New Member

So, did she get the message from you, while you were flying together?

Yes, I believe you were visited. I haven't wrote about mine yet, but I've had similar dreams.

I have also gasped for air, after waking up. I wonder if it was because you were emotional in the dream, amd may have unconsciously held your breathe in real life...because you were afraid she was going to leave. You know when you are waiting for a reaction and you hold your breath in anticipation?

Harmonica likes this.
  12. Harmonica

Harmonica New Member

Best reply I have gotten so far! Thank you ski! Makes sense about the emotional reaction.

I don't know if she got the messages when we were flying together- I tended to think she was thanking me for them, which is why they "came up" the way that they did.

Ski likes this.
  13. Fisher

Fisher New Member

I bet your correct and I think your first instinct is the one to go with... It's so cool that you were able to remember the words.

I see words, I remember seeing words all the time, but I very rarely can remember them after I wake up and process the experience.

Harmonica and Ski like this.
  14. Ski

Ski New Member

Yes, like she was showing you she got your message....what a beautiful dream. I'm a firm believer, in dreams Thank you for your kind words.

Harmonica likes this.
  15. I surely believe so . Visitation dreams. I don't know why but until my husband passed recently that was all I could do . Probably STILL all I can do . HE is making himself known ( I think ).
    I have had these since I was little . Not with everyone who I have known that have passed either , just some . They are SO heartwarming and satisfying usually I have a deep sense of well being . It took me until I was an adult to be able to control what I said and did in these dreams but eventually I learned . I have to have surgery alot and my dad is a familiar sight during these times . We always sit together and talk under a tree and the sky is always blue and bright .He says we are waiting under this tree until you are done ( with my procedure ) . Another old friend keeps trying to gift me with a gray mare I have always wanted . I am a catch rider and my own horses always seem to be chestnut . NOW I can say , you know I can't take that back and he says maybe not now but you will soon enough. I have never seen my mom . Nothing . Total silence there . Had a great friend die from AIDS , he is a regular visitor . 24 years gone and at first he was on a chaise , very tired, and would reach out to me and I could see but I ignored some still visible signs of illness . As the years progressed he became well . Now he is like he was before he got sick . My ex mom in law from years ago I was SO HAPPY TO SEE !!! but she ever spoke english only dutch and when she visits me we CAN speak . It's not English or Dutch or WORDS , it is something else. I leap into her lap, as in this realm , and I can say I love you and she hears it . Again in all of these the sky is very bright and the sun shining .

Monika and Ski like this.
  16. Ski

Ski New Member

Gosh, this post made me cry....it is real. It will never stop shocking me...even though I know it's real, the stories, amd experiences are always overwhelming. Especially during dark times, it brings so much love.

I learned about a young 20 yr old uncle who died in Vietnam from dreams, he kept showing up, until he held up a neon sign showing the year he died. I learned my great grandfather, who I hadn't see in 25 years, died the VERY night he died, with what started out of of a dream and quickly turned into a vision. I've had a lot of things happen through dreams. I am part Indian, and it is said we are rulers of the dream world. I'd like to believe that.

Lovely post. Thank you for sharing

God bless, love, light and many dreams with your loved ones

GoldDustWoman622 likes this.
  17. Well you are very welcome . We have had sooo many tears in this house lately . It's good to see even a ray of happy !

Ski likes this.
  18. Harmonica

Harmonica New Member

Visitation dreams are so beautiful, and happen so infrequently, that you almost don't want to wake up and come back to this reality of life after them.

I think that is what happened to me.

The 2 weeks following this dream visitation, everything in my life began to go wrong, and I mean everything, some of which is still bothersome and unfixable in my personal life today, and I was dealing with it while being ill for 10 days. So, I was going to be in for a couple very hard weeks AFTER my friend came through this way.. She always was there for me during the hard times, prior to her death last August,- ironically. Perhaps she knew, things were about to get really rough!

But, I had that experience to hold on to..

GoldDustWoman622 and Ski like this.
  19. Ski

Ski New Member

Yes, they can show you that they are there with you, and they know it's coming....which makes me think some things are preordained, or just already in motion.

I've never had a loved one come through for me when I was going through hard times. But, I have had symbolic dreams to show me rough times were ahead.

A couple of years back, we went through a tough time in every way....you name it, we went through it. I remember right before this lovely life downfall happened, that it was early morning(when most of my psychic dreams happen) and I dreamed I got up to go look outside the front room window, and there were 7 tornadoes headed right towards my house. They were close too, and all within 100 yards of each other. Panicked and scared, I immediately woke up. I knew it meant something. Sure enough, we went through a couple of years of devastating blows, financially, emotionally, physically, ect.