1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Afterlife Forums is an online, interactive community designed to give seekers direct access to prominent researchers, to afterlife literature, and to one another in order to foster both spiritual growth and public interest in life after death.

out of body and the brain connection

Discussion in 'General Afterlife Discussions' started by Storybud68, May 16, 2018.

1. Storybud68

Storybud68 Member

has anyone ever thought that out of body and near death experiences are part of the biological brain?maybe somehow the brain is capable of doing this when alive,but when completely dead its not and I don't mean coma or eben Alexander's example.would that mean there is no after life?

2. mac

mac senior member Staff Member

I expect somebody will already have thought of what you've suggested. As for your final question well just reflect about the website you're asking it on. What answers would you expect to find here? :D;)

3. Storybud68

Storybud68 Member

that is true mac it is a very difficult question thanks for reply anyway cheers

4. jimrich

jimrich Active Member

Speaking for myself only, I am not the brain or the body and there is no death. I am eternal/infinite Life which owns or has a brain and a body, etc., so it matters not if I, infinite Life, occupy a body/brain or enter a temporary afterlife after my body/brain "dies". It can be said that all there is, is Life occasionally appearing as a: brain, body, afterlife, death, coma, etc., etc. All there is, is you, just Life life-ing, so enjoy your adventure!

5. mac

Well actually no. Neither of your questions were difficult but neither offered anything I wanted to spend time on responding to. :D;)

I like something with more meat on the bones to get my teeth into. :)

Monika and SashaS like this.
  6. bluebird

bluebird Well-Known Member

I don't know if there is an afterlife or not, and I really don't think there's any way of proving if one exists. If your theory is correct and out-of-body & NDE experiences are entirely biologically based, then I suppose that would mean that there is no afterlife. However, I don't think it's possible to prove that they are entirely biologically based.

7. genewardsmith

genewardsmith Active Member

That is, of course, the first thing scientists considered.

pandora97 likes this.
  8. ravensgate

ravensgate Active Member

Imho this is another question that ultimately leaves us stumped.... we just do not know. The human brain truly is the last frontier; there is still so much we do not understand about its workings, what it is capable of.
    Exactly how "somehow the brain is capable of doing this when alive"? When is the brain "completely dead"? Is biological death a precise point in time? If so, at what point?

Monika likes this.
  9. mac

Storybud David and others interested in these phenomena should note that OoB experiences and NDEs by themselves neither show, nor disprove, the notion of the so-called afterlife.

Last edited: May 18, 2018
    pandora97 likes this.
  10. Maria

Maria Member

I am fascinated by NDE stories while at the same time dubious about what they are intended to prove. (According to metaphysical rules, death does not occur until the silver cord connected to the physical and etheric bodies is severed). NDEs can therefore be no more than a visit to the spirit world rather like arriving at Heathrow airport in London but put on a return flight without seeing the rest of England. Notwithstanding this, accounts such as a patient observing a tennis shoe on top of a hospital building (later verified), while being “clinically dead”, and other similar NDE/OBE stories surely prove that consciousness does survive independently beyond the physical body. It is improbable that the biological brain could project itself externally. That in itself must be a solid defence for afterlife evidence.

11. RobertaGrimes

RobertaGrimes Administrator

I'm sure a lot of people have assumed this must be true! But no one who ever has actually studied the phenomena objectively wonders at all about a possible role for the brain because the evidence is abundant, consistent, and emphatic: what we call the afterlife actually is real life, and each human mind is eternal. No questions at all!

12. RobertaGrimes

RobertaGrimes Administrator

I have just posted a blog entry called "Softening the Hard Problem" at robertagrimes.com which laments the fact that science does not and cannot make sense of consciousness and its relationship to the brain while it is still stuck with its "fundamental dogma of materialism."

Nirvana and Monika like this.
  13. genewardsmith

genewardsmith Active Member

Nice article. I will quibble and point out that it was from philosophy, not science, that the phrase "hard problem" emerged.

ravensgate likes this.
  14. ravensgate

ravensgate Active Member

"Facing up to the problem of consciousness" by D. Chalmers (1995) - Journal of Consciousness Studies. It was a good read, imho :)