1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Afterlife Forums is an online, interactive community designed to give seekers direct access to prominent researchers, to afterlife literature, and to one another in order to foster both spiritual growth and public interest in life after death.

Our Coming Death...

Discussion in 'General Afterlife Discussions' started by innerperson, Feb 4, 2019.

1. innerperson

innerperson New Member

I remember reading we may subconsciously be aware of our upcoming death.

How long before our actual death will this happen?

I'm wondering how much time would we have to take care of everything prior to leaving.

2. bluebird

bluebird Major Contributor

I don't think there's any way that anyone could really tell you that, at least not with any accuracy. If it's true that we may be subconsciously aware, then perhaps only that individual is aware? Perhaps sometimes her/his loved ones are as well, I don't know. But in terms of each individual, anyway, maybe the "awareness" time frame varies from person to person.

While it's not always possible to do so, I suppose the best course of action would be to always have one's affairs arranged as well as possible, so that if/when death does arrive, the practical matters have already been taken care of, which I should think would take a weight off one's mind in any case, knowing that it's done.

innerperson likes this.
  3. mac

mac Staff Member

Subconsciously we may well be aware that 'our end is nigh' but that won't necessarily translate to a conscious awareness, especially of an upcoming date, enabling us to put our affairs in order in readiness. blubird's suggestions are very sensible but I wonder how many of us are so organised that most of our affairs are well prepared for our deaths.

I suppose if anyone gets the feeling they should be making preparations then it would be best to act on the feeling and just hope you're being unduly pessimistic! If you're not then you'll enjoy feeling smug after you've passed. If you are then you'll have stuff prepared for whenever your death does come about.

That's a win-win situation! :D

innerperson likes this.
  4. innerperson

innerperson New Member

That is what got me thinking about this topic. I agree with bluebird's post as well. It wouldn't be too difficult to take care of things like funeral arrangements and wills.

Other things would require a lot more time and effort. I run my own business and am the only employee. I never really wanted employees or to build a big company. I do want to make sure my customers are taken care of which would require time to put measures in place for my business to continue without me. I probably should be doing that sooner rather than later. haha

I would also be interested how this awareness would present itself. Is it a feeling you get? Is it "dreams" that happen in order to prepare you?

I know our passed loved ones have been known to visit when our deaths are close. Carol and Mikey's book talked about that. I remember my grandmother speaking to her brother before her death. She would sit there and giggle which was a lot of fun to watch. Since she had dementia, I didn't think much of it until I started learning about the afterlife. Now I understand that it was probably her brother helping her to prepare. A week or two later she passed on.

5. mac

mac Staff Member

Incarnate life is a rich tapestry of experiences that are unique to this physical dimension, this world.

For some individuals I expect there will be an awareness of their upcoming passing but the only ones who could tell you how it came about for them personally are the ones it's happened to - and they ain't here! :D Maybe you'd like to put your question in the C&M thread to hear how Mikey saw things as his passing was approaching, whether or how he felt moved to make his own preparations?

It's admirable you care about trying to look after others and the best you can do is to start making preparations right here, right now. Maybe your asking these very questions is a sign of your own, changed awareness? If not you can breathe easy a few months down the line and if you've made preparations for that still-uncertain time of your passing you may enjoy feeling smug while you're still alive here! :)

6. bluebird

bluebird Major Contributor

lol, I made the suggestion, but I haven't followed it myself! I think it's a good idea in principle, but there are so many reasons why a person might not actually follow it....life is very busy for many people, and that alone can make one put off such things. In my case, depression keeps me from doing much of anything, including putting my affairs in order. I suppose it's good that in my case, there isn't much to actually put in order.

One thing that's fairly simple to do, and which I've read is a good idea (and I agree), is to make a list of your passwords for all of your accounts and any websites that are important to you, and arrange for a trusted loved one to find/receive it after your death. For things like bank accounts and the like, yes, but even for websites like this one, or any others where you have online friends. That way, if you die, your loved one will be able to sign in to the various websites where you have online friends who would be upset/worried if you suddenly stopped posting, and at least be able to tell them what happened, so that there's some closure. I haven't done this yet, either, but I probably should. It's easier than actually going out and getting things done, anyway (easier than seeing a lawyer, talking to your life insurance company, etc.).

7. mac

mac Staff Member

I'm 71, heading for 72 and whatever happens I'm in the approximately last quarter of my life.

Day on day now I realise that I likely have no more than 1 to 2 decades left in this particular incarnation and maybe a whole lot less. ;) Like many folk (I'd guess) my wife and I have made wills and plans for the disposal of our remains as cheaply as possible - we're cheap folk!

Our affairs are mostly simple although a little more complicated than some others by having 'feet' in two countries. But the odds are we'll live long enough to become old and frail in the way so many do, eventually passing away in our homeland in whatever physical ill-health we happen to be in as that happens. I hope I'll be well enough to consciously observe the situation. ;)

I don't worry because all that is outside my control but I do think about it and there are situations I hope don't happen - I'm just an ordinary guy like so many others.

Storybud68 likes this.
  8. mac

mac Staff Member

I feel so bad, bb, that depression controls you so much. I wish I had an answer for you to stop that being the case. :(

This is such a good idea. I do often wonder how we'd feel if a regular just stopped being here on ALF. Well, actually, I KNOW how that feels because I'm often concerned when a 'regular' disappears or their m.o. changes. It's not anything I can do much about because most of us are just usernames to one another and little bits of personalities - we mostly don't even know what we look like. Yet we 'speak' to each other regularly, know about each other to some degree, develop relationships based on what we knowof each other. And we are individuals who often care about each other.

It's a very odd situation..... o_O

9. innerperson

innerperson New Member

Great idea about asking Carol and Mikey. I need to think about the question a little more before posting it.

Hopefully I am remembering this correctly, but in Carol and Mikey's book there was a passage that talked about this. I believe Carol made a statement that Mikey needed to worry about skin cancer and Mikey said he would be gone long before anything like that happened.

It would be interesting to hear what he thinks now that he is back home and understands what exactly was happening.

Well, these thoughts about final preparations has been happening for a year or so. I can't say the idea this could be a sign of my impending doom hasn't crossed my mind. haha I honestly couldn't say if this is my mind playing tricks on me or if this is something to take serious.

In any case, you and Bluebird is right in that I should just prepare now so not to worry if anything or even nothing happens in the short term. I would gladly take the smuggish feeling over the "oh no!" feeling on the way out.

I am also pretty cheap in what I want for my final plans. No funeral, cremation and dump the ashes in a nice lovely wooded space by a big tree. Maybe I will set up a bar tab for those that want to have a final drink on me. :)

Last edited: Feb 4, 2019
  10. innerperson

innerperson New Member

Depression is a tough thing to live with. I endured it for a long time. I remember not even wanting to get out of bed. Just laying there in the dark feeling helpless. I didn't even know I had depression until I hit my late 30's. I always just thought it was a normal to feel that way.

Even after finding out I suffered depression, it took me a long time to figure out how to live with it. Besides taking anti-depressants which just numbed me from all feelings. I didn't like that at all. I am thankful I was able to figure out how to manage it. I haven't really had a bad episode in 6 or so years now. Knock on wood.

That actually crossed my mind today which is why I made my post. Thanks for posting it.