1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Afterlife Forums is an online, interactive community designed to give seekers direct access to prominent researchers, to afterlife literature, and to one another in order to foster both spiritual growth and public interest in life after death.

Ouija boards

Discussion in 'After-Death Communication' started by Maria, Apr 25, 2018.

1. Maria

Maria Member

Has anyone here ever used a Ouija board to contact your deceased loved ones or just as a toy when you were a child? If so, what were the results? (Personally I would not touch one for all money in the world even if there is the chance that it could help me connect with a desired spirit). Also, I have never come across a simple explanation as to why Ouija boards can be a portal to attract evil entities so can someone clarify.

2. genewardsmith

genewardsmith Active Member

I tried a Ouija board once as a teen, not attempting to contact any spirits, but just as a toy. My sister and I were having it answer questions, and it claimed it knew the future. I asked if I was ever going to read "Tarzan", by Edgar Rice Burroughs, thinking it unlikely since what I knew of it made it sound stupid. The Ouija board said I would. I said in that case, I'd make a point not to do so. It said I would anyway. Years later, I won a contest at Cody's bookstore in Berkeley, where the prize (unknown to me in advance) turned out to be a complete set of the Tarzan books, in a nifty wood case with a glass front. At that point I bowed to Fate.

3. bluebird

bluebird Well-Known Member

I have used a Ouija board a few times when I was younger, in high school and college. I did it hoping to contact a spirit, though I wasn't trying to contact a dead loved one or anyone in particular. I never had a bad experience with it, but I have read about some who have, and in my opinion it's not worth messing with just in case there are any bad/evil spirits which might come through.

I don't even know if there is an afterlife, or spirits, and I don't believe in Satan/devils, but who knows? Since I know that I don't know everything, by any means, I prefer to just not take the chance. It has been my experience in the past that when I have participated, some spirit or other always seemed to come through. More than once I have been watching other people "play" with it, and they were not having any results, so I touched the planchette with one finger and it started moving (I was definitely not doing it, and I really don't think they were, either).

Now, if I knew for sure that there is an afterlife and that I could contact my husband via a Ouija board, I would absolutely do so, regardless of any possible risk to me.

Ski likes this.
  4. Maria

Maria Member

Bluebird, if you have used the Ouija board in the past without any adverse effects, maybe you have nothing to lose in trying to contact your husband. If you do try, I would be very interested in hearing about your results. Best of luck!

5. Bill Z

Bill Z Active Member

Bluebird if you chose to do this please ask for protection. I have never heard of good experiences with the Ouija board. I do not believe in satan or powerful evil entities (other than politicians & clergy lol) but I have encountered lower level malignant entities that I let in to my life through depression and anger, lower frequency vibrations. Be careful and Peace. May the love and guidance of the Great Spirit be with you on this journey.

6. bluebird

Thank you, Maria and Bill; I very much appreciate your good wishes. I don't think I will be using the Ouija board any time soon in an attempt to contact my husband, though, since even if there is an afterlife I can't know if I would be able to contact him in that way. My life is shitty enough without possibly inviting any additional negativity into it, if such things do exist. If I ever do decide to use it, though, I will definitely ask my husband to protect me (I don't really believe in a god, so to me there is no point to asking for protection of that sort).

LOL to Bill, regarding your "politicians and clergy" comment (though of course there are good people in those positions as well ;)).

Bill Z likes this.
  7. Ski

Ski

Yes, as a teen...and no nothing ever happened, at least not in my experience.

8. Corey

Corey Member

Bluebird, it's interesting you say that as soon as you put just one finger on the planchette, the thing started moving like crazy. I haven't used one in a very long time but I went through a Ouija phase back in high school. I never seemed to be very "good at it" lol. I remember once my sister and I were using it and it wasn't working and then as soon as my friend put just one finger on it the thing moved like crazy! It definitely seems that some people are more open to it than others for whatever reason.
    It is interesting to me, though, that communicating with the other side via a pendulum seems a hell of a lot safer than using a Ouija board. Does anybody know why? Could it just be the negative historical energy around Ouija boards?

Amore likes this.
  9. Amore

Amore Active Member

I was just gonna ask the same question! I have never used a Ouija board but used to use a pendulum many years ago. At the time I didn't really believe in spirits and assumed I'm communicating with my own subconscious. I used it mainly to help me make decisions. But why does the Ouija board have such a bad reputation?

10. bluebird

I think that any form of attempted communication with spirits/afterlife carries the same risks, if there are risks at all. In my opinion, the method (ouija board, pendulum, whatever) is irrelevant.

Amore likes this.
  11. Amore

Amore Active Member

That's what I would have thought too. But you only always hear people strongly warning others about the board, never the pendulum.

12. ravensgate

ravensgate Active Member

Does anyone suspect that Hollywood might have anything to do with it? I do. In the movies, the board is nearly always cast as an object controlled by some evil, ominous entity. Just a thought...

13. Maria

Maria Member

Bluebird and Amore, would you add consulting a medium to the danger list? Do you agree with the Biblical interpretation that to do so is necromancy and it not our love ones being channelled through but evil spirits? (I was a bit surprised to read somewhere recently that the Vatican now approve of “talking to the dead” via a medium which seems a big religious U-turn). Personally, I feel that provided mediums do not exploit the bereaved, they can offer immense solace for those who desperately yearn for contact with the deceased.

14. bluebird

You may have a good point there....

15. mac

mac senior member Staff Member

Whatever way transdimensional communication is established the identity of any spirit communicator needs to be considered. Do we ask questions of just-anybody in this dimension and treat their answers as authoritative? Then why would we accept answers from a ouija board, from a pendulum or from a medium?

Can we be confident about the source of any information coming those ways? If we can we have a good reason to ask questions.

16. mac

Or is art aping life?

17. bluebird

I do not believe in the biblical interpretation of anything, really, so to me what the bible has to say about mediums or other ways to possibly contact the dead is irrelevant. I'm not too surprised that the Vatican has changed its stated view on mediums, as the current Pope is very progressive for a Pope.

As far as consulting a medium possibly being dangerous -- in general, I don't think it would be dangerous for me or another visitor, though possibly for the medium if there are any "bad spirits" and one came through, but s/he would be sort of "in between" the bad spirit and the person there for a reading. For the most part, though, I don't think the medium is in danger, either, especially if s/he is experienced.

I share your view that a long as a medium is genuine, and is not trying to exploit the bereaved, then they are offering solace and doing good work.

18. Maria

Maria Member

Hollywood may certainly have given Ouija bards a lot of bad press, but it cannot be accountable for all the horrific stories told by those who had bad experiences using them. I think these boards do open up portals to the lower realms, but why, will always be unknown.

19. Maria

Maria Member

Thank you for your opinion Bluebird, and from my own experience all I can say is that one particular medium really did provide satisfactory proof that he was linking with Peter. What reinforced the reading was that he added that Peter told him that he would leave a feather for me to find, and I did indeed locate it (next to a pile of Christmas presents that sadly Peter never had the chance to open). Perhaps it was just a coincidence, but I hope not.

20. Zac

Zac Member

I tried it once a few years ago with a set I got from target, but nothing happened. The planchette simply didn't move.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2018
  21. Bill Z

Bill Z Active Member

All I know is what I sense internally. Maybe it's a useful tool, but a drill or chainsaw is a useful tool too. You don't stand in a water puddle and plug in 120/60 and drop the cord into the water. Look both ways when you cross. We need to use precautions. Everything I've read suggests a circle of salt to keep out bad shit. Just sayin.

22. Monika

Monika Active Member

I never used this ouija board and don't really know what exactly it is. I do communicate with my Michel using pendulum and letters. I do not have any fear that someone else could answer questions instead of him as all my thoughts and intention is just to him all time 100 percent. Just one time he had a message for me from someone else. So i said this message for the person for who it was. Often i feel other energies around me. I know it is not Michel because then i do not feel comfortable. If it does not feel good for me i concentrate to this energy. I greet him or her and say that i sence their presence, i know that they are here, it is fine if they feel comfortable around me. After such "conversation" i feel everytime good again. Personally i do not believe in any negativity. I think no one of them wants to harm or do bad. Maybe sometimes they can feel also not comfortable in our presence and we can sence it. I used to spend hours and hours in crematorium. I felt there lots of energies. One time there was someone who wanted me to go away. I said i won't leave. I said i am here for my love, i feel i must be here and i will be here. Leave by yourself if you don't like me or better just lets be friends and so i will greet you also everytime i come. After we never had any troubles anymore and could tolerate each other.
    I also believe that there we are same like here. And when i think about if i would be in spirit and someone would keep asking questions or doing something just from curiosity or for fun (without no deeper wish of understanding) i would be nasty spirit and show for them "where legs grow from". Then i would probably be called bad spirit. But i am not bad. Not at all. Just everyone need respect.
    I also can be very wrong with my point of view but this is how i feel and experience. Being friendly and open works in this life. So it works there same too.

23. dingodile

dingodile Member

Really? That's news to me. A quick Google search didn't turn up anything on this reversal, but maybe I just missed it.

I used a Ouija board a few times as a kid. As far as I remember we didn't get any interesting messages and we lost interest pretty quickly.

As I see it, the Ouija board is closely related to automatic writing, and indeed there are cases where people quickly "graduated" from one to the other. One of the most famous cases is that of Pearl Curran, who wrote as Patience Worth. Of course the case was very controversial, but if you accept the hypothesis that spirit beings can communicate in this way, there doesn't seem to have been anything evil about Patience Worth.

24. genewardsmith

Another of like origin is Jap Herron, a charming Bildungsroman alleged to be authored by Mark Twain. One of the two women who labored over the planchette had tried previously to contact Patience Worth, but without success, we are told. The New York Times book review even mentioned that a third such book had been authored, but what that one is it doesn't say. Jap Herron is now free of copyright concerns (Twain's daughter had sued to suppress it) and is now available for free on Project Gutenberg and archive.org, among other places.

25. genewardsmith

26. mac

I don't follow why automatic writing would be seen as closely related to using a ouija board. Would you please explain which aspects seem similar to you?

27. mac

You appear to have your pendulum communication under good control. Like yourself, former ALF member Carol Morgan used a pendulum to communicate with her son Mikey. Both you and she have very specific persons you speak to regularly. Someone using a pendulum to contact just anyone who is around and prepared to 'talk' is in a different category to you guys.

Please remember that as a discarnate individual you would be under no obligation to respond to any incarnate who has no connection to you. (or indeed even to someone who does have a connection) Those discarnates who do respond to an approach from a ouija board user have chosen to do it. We can not know their motivation for what they do but they choose to do it. When a discarnate gives a frivolous or misleading reply to a frivolous question one could be forgiven for concluding think that each is as bad as the other.

Monika likes this.
  28. dingodile

dingodile Member

Both involve the production of text in a manner that bypasses the conscious control of the living agent. The main difference is the physical instrument used to produce the text: pen vs planchette. Both purportedly involve control of the living agent's hand by a discarnate agent for the purpose of producing text. The similarities are greater than the differences.

ravensgate likes this.
  29. Amore

Amore Active Member

I agree dingo, the two methods are similar. Nevertheless, while I had a lively rapport with the pendulum for some time, automatic writing never worked for me. I don't know why. The pen just wouldn't move at all.
    I stopped using the pendulum when I got the feeling that the answers were always exactly what I had in my conscious mind (when I started out it was not like that) - somehow the path to my subconscious and beyond seemed to have been blocked, possibly by expectation from my side.

30. mac

Ah, I follow now - thank you.