1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Afterlife Forums is an online, interactive community designed to give seekers direct access to prominent researchers, to afterlife literature, and to one another in order to foster both spiritual growth and public interest in life after death.

old soul?

Discussion in 'Spiritual Growth & Development' started by mac, Jul 12, 2013.

1. mac

mac Staff Member

Many of us will have heard the term 'old soul' and wondered what that means in reality.

Schoolgirl Malala Yousafzai was shot in the head last October by the Taleban and her injuries were treated in the UK where she now lives. Today she spoke passionately at the United Nations, New York, for better access to education for children worldwide.

She's only 16 years old in her present life but how old, one might wonder, in spiritual terms is the spirit who has emerged on to the world stage as this campaigning young girl.

Perhaps a very old soul indeed?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-23295262

Last edited: Jul 12, 2013
  2. Jim

Jim New Member

That is truly impressive. I don't know if I had that strength at 16... or now! I hope the UN political body will listen and take action, though not sure what their powers are to make an impact. - Jim

3. Eli

Eli New Member

I actually wouldn't say she's an old soul. People like this are actually quite common; you see teenagers making breakthroughs in cancer, leading political strifes, etc. This girl has the extraordinary ability to speak in a room full of important people; to not fumble her words and persuade the UN of her cause. To run such a noble cause in the first place already places her a cut above the rest of regular people. She may be older than the rest of us with the cause she leads. But an old soul? She clearly has advanced a lot more than the rest of us spiritually, so it is possible. But she doesn't have the feeling of an old soul. I don't know, it's hard to explain. She fights against the cruelty of the world and has launched a wonderful campaign against it; but old souls I think more or less recognize they are there and attempt to fight it with love. It's just intuition though.

4. A remarkable young woman any case.

And worthy of some pondering -- this girl needs far less courage to speak before the UN than she needs every day just to go to school. What a world.

5. Andrew

Andrew Guest

Perhaps we can call her "spiritually advanced"?

The evidence tends to suggest to that all our selves/spirits/souls came into individual existence at the same moment - which is presumably the beginning. Therefore, in a literal sense, one soul cannot be older than another. However, one can certainly show more spiritual growth and advancement than its contemporaries. That is likely of people like this particular girl.

In a non-literal sense, most people use the term "old soul" to refer to a person who acts as though he/she were mentally much older. However, I tend to agree with Eli in that I don't get that feeling with Malala. She is wise, and certainly courageous however.

6. mac

mac Staff Member

To be so dismissive that she's not an 'old soul' suggests you understand what an old soul actually is - care to share?

7. mac

mac Staff Member

I'm guided that individual souls, or spirits, leave and return to the source of their creation on a constant basis. (albeit over a time frame we can scarcely conceive) Hence 'new' ones are constantly emerging and 'old' ones are constantly returning to re-merge with their source. There is/was no beginning and there will be no end as we use those terms....

The upshot of this is that there are individual souls/spirits at differing levels of spiritual advancement 'around' at all times. In that scenario there are 'old souls' just as much as there are 'new souls', the new ones being new by comparison with their more-experienced companions who can thus be termed old.

Malala demonstrates a level of maturity which may be characteristic of 'old souls' just as others in this world do and who themselves may also be old souls. But she may not be and may simply be a remarkable individual.

8. Eli

Eli New Member

As I said, it's not that I understand what an old soul is; it's more intuition. She doesn't have the "wise" feeling per se as I would normally associate old souls to have. Her doing what she's doing proves that she's spiritually advanced, but she doesn't quite have the... wear and tear of coming over and over again. There are just some lessons that would be ingrained in you that you would tend to share with others; this girl does not do such a thing.

9. Andrew

Andrew Guest

But, if we assume that linear time does not objectively exist, then I'm afraid that I don't fully understand what you're saying here, Mac. Yes, certain souls may - from a linear perspective - be more experienced than others. However, from a more timeless perspective, it would appear as though we are all incredibly "old" or "advanced" - would it not? No matter where we are now on earth, we are just as advanced as the most experienced souls, such as Yeshua.

I'm sorry. I'm not trying to be picky here - Malala is clearly the embodiment of what we should all aspire to. It's just that this particular "old soul" classification has never quite made sense to me.

10. mac

mac Staff Member

For comparison, then, who would fit into your understanding of a so-called old soul?