1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Afterlife Forums is an online, interactive community designed to give seekers direct access to prominent researchers, to afterlife literature, and to one another in order to foster both spiritual growth and public interest in life after death.

Odd question that occurred to me.

Discussion in 'General Afterlife Discussions' started by DarthT15, Jan 15, 2017.

Tags:
  1. DarthT15

DarthT15 New Member

So I was just thinking about the afterlife and how there's supposedly no pain and suffering, and then this thought occurred to me: What about the people who practice BDSM? Would they still be able to enjoy it?

I don't really get it myself, but whatever floats their boats.

And then the other question came up from that one: People have various fetishes that they enjoy here on earth, but would they still be able to enjoy them in the afterlife?

I hope this isn't too weird a question, and if needed I'll remove it.

2. RobertaGrimes

RobertaGrimes Administrator

There probably is no out-of-bounds question, since if you wonder about it then likely others wonder, too. And the answer here is I think pretty simple.

Our post-death energy bodies are solid (and young and beautiful!), but those that we used to think were dead tell us that they lack internal organs and a sex drive. Since both BDSM and fetishes in general are based in the sex drive, you would assume that neither would exist in the afterlife, and in fact in almost half a century of studying all the afterlife evidence I could find, I have never seen even a hint of either BDSM or fetishism. Not a whisper.

I hope this helps!

DarthT15 likes this.
  3. DarthT15

DarthT15 New Member

Alright, Thank you for the answer.

4. mac

mac Staff Member

It's easy to fall into the trap of thinking our discarnate selves will display all the characteristics we displayed when incarnate. Roberta has explained the situation well and I'll add to that by saying that when our sexual nature arises as a result of a flood of hormones at a certain age, it's a process preparing us for potential procreation, something specific to our physical dimension.

As children (I guess) few of us experience similar levels of sex drive as those we experience in adolescence and mature adulthood. In old age (again I'm guessing) most of us experience our adult sex drive diminishing. It's a transient state and one specifically engineered for human reproduction.

Hence our human sex-drive isn't something carried over and experienced in our discarnate forms. Neither is sexual deviance.

5. milahanna

milahanna New Member

One, I had to Google BDSM. :D Learn something new everyday.

Secondly, I have not been researching the afterlife nearly as long as Roberta and Mac but I have come across some literature from supposedly departed spirits that speak of such desires on the other side. I've even heard of them having sex. Some say it's like the sex experienced on earth at first or on lower levels. Others say it's more of a melding thing. Again, I'm still learning and researching but have come across them. I can try and put a list together and share them with the group. I'll have to go back and dig though.

6. mac

mac Staff Member

Put crudely unless individuals have, or create for themselves, the necessary organs for copulation, no matter how much (mental/emotional) residual-memory-desire for sexual intercourse an individual may have they ain't gonna do it like they did it here!

I don't doubt that SOME will want sex just like others may want other pleasures of the flesh such as smoking, drinking and drugs - for a time although that time may stretch on for some individuals. These may be regular Joes and Josephines but more likely (I suggest) is that they are those of less-advanced spiritual development or experiencing difficulty adjusting to the new-normal of the etheric dimension(s).

The situation of so-called melding is a different one.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2017
  7. bluebird

bluebird Major Contributor

Interesting question, Darth.

I don't necessarily agree that we won't have sexual desires in the afterlife, if there is an afterlife, though I think it may be partly determined by how things went here on earth. To give my personal example -- my husband died much too young, right before his 42nd birthday. We had been together for nearly 13 years at that point. If there is an afterlife, I want to exist in it with my husband much as we did here in this life (though, thankfully, without the financial problems we had here). For me, that includes living in the house we always wanted to buy here (I don't mean one specific house, just a house of our own, of the type we always wanted), a house filled with the vintage and antique items we like to collect, spending our time reading and talking and playing with our cats and making/eating dinner, etc. And, very importantly, making love.

To me, it's not so much the sex that's important as it is the level of closeness it brings to a couple, and I need to have that again, in that specific way, with my husband. If we truly have free will, and if there really is an afterlife, we will have all of that. Even if my husband has no particular need for lovemaking (which I doubt, given how he was in life, lol), I know that he will be more than willing to do so for my sake, knowing how it would help soothe my soul from the anguish of being without him.

Now, when you talk about BDSM, that is not something with which I have personal experience, but my understanding is that the people who choose to participate in it are not "suffering", as they enjoy it and choose it....so if there is free will, and if there is an afterlife, then it seems logical to me that they could practice it there as well, if they choose to. Whether or not they will choose to, I don't know. It's my guess that such "power play", although consensual, likely wouldn't really appeal to them anymore. but again -- not my area. Ditto for fetishes, which (as far as I understand) tend to be hardwired into people based on associating sexuality with particular things experienced in childhood. I suspect those correlations might not matter much to them anymore, but I don't really know.

milahanna and DarthT15 like this.
  8. DarthT15

DarthT15 New Member

I'm terribly sorry to hear about your husband, I'm not exactly the most religious but I will pray for him. Thank you very much for the insight.

milahanna likes this.
  9. bluebird

bluebird Major Contributor

Thank you for your kind thoughts and prayers, and for appreciating my opinion.

milahanna likes this.